Lift and Shift Challenges/Questions?

mdpa

Hi Everyone,

One reason I chose to go through with paying the deposit on our Western Med Cruise was the flexibility provided with a cancellation.

I had (2) cruises that matched the +/- 4 week criteria and +/- 1 day. Both were Spain intensive cruises, in May/June 2022. June presented a conflict since it was the last month of school for our daughter, so we chose the cruise in May. We were denied (with no explanation) even after we escalated with Azamara and not provided with alternatives. After everyone got me excited about Spain, we finally gave up and shifted to June. The Seville thread didn’t help. 😉 

Question: has anyone else been told a cruise doesn’t qualify?

The upgrade cost to a suite is slightly better than it was when we booked our Med cruise but our agent said we are not allowed to pay the difference in price.

Question: are you able to pay extra to upgrade to a nicer room once your cruise as been shifted?

Although we decided to choose this option since cruise prices seem to be creeping up, I have been a little disappointed with this process and surprised that Azamara would not want to take my money for the published price difference to upgrade a room.

Thanks,

Doug

7 hours ago, laurieb said:

You should be able to upgrade once you have moved your cruise

OK, that’s what I thought. I was surprised when I heard otherwise. I’ll reach out to to our agent again. She may have just been confused.

OK, I guess it is a moot point.

Update:

Spoke to Azamara directly and since I worked with an agent they couldn't discuss any details but supposedly would let me upgrade from Veranda to Suite for the published price difference (website difference).

Then went through agent who called Azamara and they wanted the difference from what I originally paid and the Suite price, which was about $1,000 higher. Not worth it...and at this point more hassle than it was worth.

From my perspective, once my room category was locked in, it would be common sense to charge me the same difference as anyone else booking my room category. If they are not making money on the upgrade they should charge more. Is there something I am missing?

Historically when ones upgrades they pay the difference between the price they booked at and the price of the higher cabin on the day of upgrading.  That has been my experience on 4 different cruise line. 

I recently upgraded from a veranda to a suite and when I booked I paid  $2800 pp for the veranda .  Over time the veranda price has increased to $3100.  The Suite price is $4600 pp I paid the difference between $2800 and $4600.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Historically when ones upgrades they pay the difference between the price they booked at and the price of the higher cabin on the day of upgrading.  That has been my experience on 4 different cruise line. 

That is my experience with Azamara for sure