Cruise ships worst nightmare - fire

gerryuk

5 hours ago, FredT said:

I have read the CG book, but I would love to know book written by the second officer.  

A bit of useless trivia here.....    The popular musical artist Yanni was one of the entertainers on the ship that night.   

I was not aware that Yanni was an entertainer on that cruise.  Useless trivia?  No, not for those of us who are interested.

The Prinsendam Disaster; An Officer's Account by Mathieu J. Oosterwijk is the title of the other book.  It's ISBN is 978-94-92368-37-9.

Do you have an opinion of Captain Corcoran's book?  I kept thinking of questions to ask him as I read his narration.  Didn't try to communicate with him, however.  

On 3/18/2021 at 8:55 PM, Heidi13 said:

I can also provide an option to pax - would you rather be aboard the Diamond Princess with COVID or be in one of the cabins of the Star Princess in the vicinity of the fire, trying to fight your way out in dense, acrid smoke. I experienced smoke on my first fire-fighting course, without SCBA, so have 1st hand experience, as do all Deck & Engineering Officers. I have also lived in the COVID world for over a year, so I know what my choice would be.

Hopefully some of the other marine professionals can also venture an opinion @chengkp75, @Aquahound, @MBP&O2/O

No opposing opinion from me.  I think you nailed it.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I was not aware that Yanni was an entertainer on that cruise.  Useless trivia?  No, not for those of us who are interested.

The Prinsendam Disaster; An Officer's Account by Mathieu J. Oosterwijk is the title of the other book.  It's ISBN is 978-94-92368-37-9.

Do you have an opinion of Captain Corcoran's book?  I kept thinking of questions to ask him as I read his narration.  Didn't try to communicate with him, however.  

Interesting...   Neither Amazon or E-Bay have that book listed.      As far as Captain Corcoran's book goes, no I found it really dry reading.  (Maybe because I read the Burning Cold book first?)

7 hours ago, FredT said:

Interesting...   Neither Amazon or E-Bay have that book listed.      As far as Captain Corcoran's book goes, no I found it really dry reading.  (Maybe because I read the Burning Cold book first?)

I don't remember from where I bought the book.  I bought it during 2020; maybe late Spring or  during the Summer.  I'll go through my credit card records and see if I can determine where I obtained the book.  If successful, I will let you know.

I learned about both of these books from posts on CC on the HAL Message Board.  Maybe a search of that Board would be of some help for you.