UK Only Viking Venus Cruise

NeilP57

9 minutes ago, arlowood said:

I wouldn't count on it. We're currently aboard Venus and pre booked all our dining slots through MVJ about 3 weeks before departure. When we boarded last Saturday none of our dining  choices was showing up on the onboard Calendar. This is a known glitch apparently but Viking have not yet sorted it AFAIK. We managed to rebook Chefs Table and Manfredi's but on different nights to our original bookings. No need to book the MDR ahead of time - just roll up when you fancy - there's plenty of room

As we only booked for June 12th on Monday we were unable to enter anything in MVJ.

So hopefully this ‘glitch’ will work in our favour with regards to restaurant bookings.

Edited by Glenndale

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

I've noticed lots of discussions about the main restaurant and the specialties, but not much about the buffet, or heck, Mamsens. I've yet to sail Viking, so I don't know for myself. Is there a consensus that the restaurant is generally the better place to eat vs the buffet?

As others have said, it is all about personal preference. We enjoy eating in the World Cafe on evenings when the weather is nice so we can sit outside. Normally many of the items on the main dining room menu are also on the buffet. This is particularly true of appetizers which are plated.  I will say that these portions are smaller in The World Cafe - I think of them more as amuse bouches. 

One of our disappointments has been that we have never seen the operable doors in The Restaurant operating to create al fresco dining as is shown on the deck plans.  So instead we eat “upstairs” to be able to eat outside. We also like that many of the dishes “upstairs” are made to order so it’s not your typical buffet. 

We hadn’t really eaten at Mamsen’s until our last cruise (other than for a waffle or a piece of success cake.) However, we discovered that lunch there is quite good.  We loved having a bowl of soup and an open faced sandwich.  

Please keep in mind that all the above is based on pre-covid cruises. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

I've noticed lots of discussions about the main restaurant and the specialties, but not much about the buffet, or heck, Mamsens. I've yet to sail Viking, so I don't know for myself. Is there a consensus that the restaurant is generally the better place to eat vs the buffet?

No consensus. They’re all good, just different. 

Most mornings, we had breakfast via room service so we could sleep as late as possible before heading to our morning excursion. The food always arrived on time (or early), and always hot. 

We were rarely on the ship for lunch except on sea days, when we usually ate at the World Café or the poolside grill. (Or just had afternoon tea instead.) There was a memorable seafood sandwich of some sort at the grill … and we enjoyed Mamsen’s, especially those fabulous cardamom waffles with Norwegian cheese. To die for. The pea soup was also quite good.

Dinner we liked to shake it up. The Chef’s Table was probably our favorite. It seemed the most creative. Manfredi’s was fine, as was the main dining room. But we found ourselves mostly at the World Café, because we found its casual atmosphere most relaxing after a busy day of running around. And we enjoyed being able to try little bites of various things rather than a main entree. (Another reason we liked the Chef’s Table, which tended to feature small portions of a handful of dishes.)

Lots of options, all good!

• Like 1

There have been unsubstantiated reports of a couple who tested covid positive on this cruise.  They and 2 couples who were close to them ( according to contact tracing) have been removed and are in quarantine.  Have you heard anything?  It's one of those "I heard"/"someone posted" things.  I posted that unless/until I see more proof I am treating this as a rumor intended to stir up people.

This won't change my mind about my upcoming Bermuda cruise with Viking, but has made me glad I have insurance that covers covid.  

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

There have been unsubstantiated reports of a couple who tested covid positive on this cruise.  They and 2 couples who were close to them ( according to contact tracing) have been removed and are in quarantine.  Have you heard anything?  It's one of those "I heard"/"someone posted" things.  I posted that unless/until I see more proof I am treating this as a rumor intended to stir up people.

This won't change my mind about my upcoming Bermuda cruise with Viking, but has made me glad I have insurance that covers covid.  

There are news reports about the Celebrity Millennium- 2 passengers tested positive and 7 others who were in close contact while on a tour have been quarantined to cabins while they await PCR test results.  thepointsguy.co.uk is on the ship and has a report on his website.

Edited by Strangford
Additional information

42 minutes ago, Strangford said:

There are news reports about the Celebrity Millennium- 2 passengers tested positive and 7 others who were in close contact while on a tour have been quarantined to cabins while they await PCR test results.  thepointsguy.co.uk is on the ship and has a report on his website.

I guess I should have been clearer.  On another social media site, there are reports of someone testing covid positive on the second Viking cruise going around England.  I know about the couple who tested + at embark and Viking waited until the second test cane back ( it was negative) before the ship left the port to begin the cruise.  But I hadn't heard anyone actually on the second England Viking cruise that had to be removed.  I think it's hearsay, but believe someone actually on this cruise would know more.

17 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

I was not on the cruise but the published itinerary reminded me of my strong desire to visit the Isle of Scilly so we booked a weeks holiday there. We happened to be on Tresco waiting for our return boat when the Viking Venus passengers were arriving on Tuesday afternoon. I noticed that they were not using the Viking tender vessels to land at Tresco but were using the local open air boats that are used to ferry passengers between the Islands.

I also observed that passengers were not that distant from each other on the boat and by contrast to the gap of two rows on the bus that you mentioned they were very close. 

A very good point, Neil.

Because I genuinely believe that Viking did what they could to pull together some sort of destination experiences for this cruise and because the walk around the Tresco Gardens was by far the most enjoyable excursion I didn’t mention this issue, but it did give us some concern. As you point out, the boats used to transfer us from the Venus to the island were very crowded. Not only were we not socially distanced, it did not feel entirely comfortable from a maritime safety perspective. I’m not sure what it looked like from your viewpoint but we felt rather like migrant boat people!

The boats were provided by the St Mary’s Boatmen Association, a collective/cooperative that seems to have the monopoly on boat trips around the Scilly Isles. I assume that Viking were given the choice of “use our boats or don’t think about getting any passengers off the ship”. The boats returning to the ship were less crowded but still full. I suppose we were actually safe both ways, in terms of COVID (all the passengers were vaccinated and there were only 2 boat crew, and we were outside with a sea breeze) and marine safety (as they run trips between the islands for non-cruise tourists all year round, probably in much rougher conditions) but it didn’t feel up to Viking’s usual standards. If you google the Association’s website you will see photos of even more crowded boats in normal times.

I considered raising the issue with the Shorex Manager when we got back on board but didn’t as

a) I don’t think there is much that he or Viking could do and

b) possibly the only practical option would be to pull the plug on the Tresco excursions (the cruise the previous week had not been able to stop at the Scilly Isles because of bad weather) – I’m sure everyone would be willing to risk a short, slightly dodgy boat trip to see the beautiful gardens.

This week the Venus has had to anchor off Falmouth (possibly due to the G7 conference) and passenger photos on Facebook show that Venus’s tender craft were used, as you’d expect.

A minor point while on the subject of marine safety is the modified approach to the lifeboat/safety muster in these new times. Rather than everyone meeting in their assigned muster station (the theatre or the Restaurant) you go there in couples to get an individual briefing on how to put on a (new design) lifejacket and then return to your cabin to watch a safety video. At the end of this you must use the TV remote to confirm that you have watched and understood the video. Other passengers confirmed that if you don’t do this you are obliged to watch it again (until you do confirm). Altogether easier than the usual organised chaos.

Edited by Janet&David
typo

Does the glitch that appears to affect the pre booking of restaurants also apply to pre booked tours, be they the included ones or optional extras.  Do you need to check on board that your tour reservations still stand,  if not have people been able to get their first choice of timings ?

1 hour ago, Janet&David said:

Because I genuinely believe that Viking did what they could to pull together some sort of destination experiences for this cruise and because the walk around the Tresco Gardens was by far the most enjoyable excursion I didn’t mention this issue, but it did give us some concern. As you point out, the boats used to transfer us from the Venus to the island were very crowded. Not only were we not socially distanced, it did not feel entirely comfortable from a maritime safety perspective. I’m not sure what it looked like from your viewpoint but we felt rather like migrant boat people!

Do not worry, you were all too well dressed to be confused with migrant boat people.

But seriously.......

As regards using the local boats they are indeed out in all weathers and maybe in such a location using local experts is the best approach. You may be aware that the sea between Tresco and the neighbouring island of Bryher is so shallow that at times you can walk between the two islands at low tide. They even have a market in the middle of the channel about four times a year when there is a very low tide. 

We used the boats a number of times during the week we were in the Isles of Scilly and at times they were  at full capacity and another boat was laid on for extra passengers. Even though its was full, we were all wearing masks and the fresh sea breeze helped as well. So in reality we did not feel uncomfortable about the Covid risk (we have had our two jabs) and was just glad to get our mask off once we had reached dry land again.

As for Falmouth, I am sure there is enough capacity for more than one cruise ship but we were also in Falmouth for 3 nights over last weekend. (seriously, I was not really stalking the Viking cruisers) The whole docks area has been secured and is being used a media centre for the G7 meeting and there is also a german cruise liner docked which is being used as accommodation for circa 1000 policemen being used to police the G7 summit. No wonder Viking had to use its own tenders. It will be interesting to hear how full the tenders were given that they are more enclosed than the Isles of Scilly boats.

1 hour ago, Janet&David said:

A minor point while on the subject of marine safety is the modified approach to the lifeboat/safety muster in these new times. Rather than everyone meeting in their assigned muster station (the theatre or the Restaurant) you go there in couples to get an individual briefing on how to put on a (new design) lifejacket and then return to your cabin to watch a safety video. At the end of this you must use the TV remote to confirm that you have watched and understood the video. Other passengers confirmed that if you don’t do this you are obliged to watch it again (until you do confirm). Altogether easier than the usual organised chaos.

This sounds a significant improvement. A few times I have travelled with friends and family that we have introduced to cruising and the traditional muster drill is one of the worst experiences to have to go through on the first day. 

Of course, I appreciate the importance of the information conveyed and I know there are maritime regulations to follow but this does sound a lot better.

32 minutes ago, Marmaduke said:

Does the glitch that appears to affect the pre booking of restaurants also apply to pre booked tours, be they the included ones or optional extras.  Do you need to check on board that your tour reservations still stand,  if not have people been able to get their first choice of timings ?

We were on the second cruise. All included excursions came through fine, tickets in the cabins. Optional excursions could only be booked on board.

4 hours ago, bafinegan said:

I guess I should have been clearer.  On another social media site, there are reports of someone testing covid positive on the second Viking cruise going around England.  I know about the couple who tested + at embark and Viking waited until the second test cane back ( it was negative) 

It's inevitable that someone will test positive. Even with everyone vaccinated and daily testing, there is always a minute chance of someone getting COVID. For those vaccinated, the symptoms seem minor. You and Viking have done everything humanely possible to be safe. The occurrences of infection should be few and far between. Above all, enjoy your cruise! I am a tad jealous but very happy for you and other cruisers who are blazing the trail for us. December can't come fast enough for us!

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

It's inevitable that someone will test positive. Even with everyone vaccinated and daily testing, there is always a minute chance of someone getting COVID. For those vaccinated, the symptoms seem minor. You and Viking have done everything humanely possible to be safe. The occurrences of infection should be few and far between. Above all, enjoy your cruise! I am a tad jealous but very happy for you and other cruisers who are blazing the trail for us. December can't come fast enough for us!

The bit that worries me is that people are kicked off the ship to quarantine in a random port. Hopefully that rumor is false. The idea was that we could quarantine in our staterooms with room service.

32 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

The bit that worries me is that people are kicked off the ship to quarantine in a random port. Hopefully that rumor is false. The idea was that we could quarantine in our staterooms with room service.

That isn’t what our contract with Viking says:

7ED9F10A-6F1F-4304-B09F-480B5DEAEA15.png

1 hour ago, rbslos18 said:

Oh I agree.  It's just that someone on that "other" site insisted that someone on VIking also tested covid positive as well as the Celebrity caribbean incident.  I told her no and asked to see proof of the event.  People are already nervous about cruising and inaccurate statements presented as facts should not be made.  People were literally flipping out.

If people think that COvid is gone, then they need to go back into hiding and let the rest of go n with our lives.  It is better understood and under better control.  Plus we know better how to handle the symptoms now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

That isn’t what our contract with Viking says:

7ED9F10A-6F1F-4304-B09F-480B5DEAEA15.png

I'll just have to lock myself in my bathroom. 8-)

But seriously, like what happens if we're thrown off? What hotel will take us in with a positive test? Presumably we'd need to quarantine somewhere locally until testing negative?

23 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

You should not have to re-book once board.

However, we are talking about technology and as DH says, "Technology is great...when it works."

Print out your calendar (either on paper or as a .pdf) and have it ready in case stuff does happen (you won't have access to MVJ on the ship). Then you can bring out the document and point to what you had already booked and ask them to fix it.

Here are a couple of heads up: MVJ becomes read-only 7 days before sailing. That is when it is uploaded to the ship to be ready for our arrival.  During this black out period, we can not make any changes.  If you are anticipating making any changes to your day 2 or 3 optional shorex, you should get it done before MVJ the 7 day mark. By the time you board, it will be too late to make changes (because cancellations must be done 36+ hours before the tour).

Our bookings are deleted from MVJ when we board the ship; they will not be available to us during the cruise or after. If there is anything you want to save from MVJ in reference to this cruise, do it before you leave home.

Thanks for the tip

Jeff

23 hours ago, Janet&David said:

Hi Jeff

Hopefully Viking will fix the systems but there appear to have been a range of problems with MVJ on recent cruises. We had problems making any reservations using MVJ - with our V1 cabin we were only entitled to make bookings for the Restaurant, which seemed to be required at that time. We phoned Viking and someone in the admin team phoned us and made reservations in the Restaurant for every night. When we boarded all the reservations had been lost and did not appear on our calendar on the TV in the cabin. Not a big deal, as I said, but we know that others lost speciality restaurant reservations too. We had taken a print-out of our calendar from MVJ (I don't trust technology!) and if there had been an issue I would have used this to make a moral claim on the slots I had booked. You may consider doing the same.

David

Hi David, Thanks for the tip. I will print tonight.

Jeff

2 hours ago, bafinegan said:

If people think that COvid is gone, then they need to go back into hiding and let the rest of go n with our lives.  It is better understood and under better control.  Plus we know better how to handle the symptoms now.

I certainly hope people don't think this is over. But even with people who are careful and wear masks, it is possible to catch COVID. It is a virus and some variations are quite infectious. My point is Viking has done everything humanly possible to protect us and staff but nothing is foolproof. I have a sibling who got COVID and had never once left the house. Someone who had a mask on clearly incorrectly infected her. The Health Department could not figure out how she got it.

Bottom line--you will have a great cruise and by being vaccinated have protected yourself the best you can. Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

I don't get that. I would think that a quarantine period should suffice. That does seem harsh.

21 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

I don't get that. I would think that a quarantine period should suffice. That does seem harsh.

As Clay pointed out by posting his contract, this is not a rumour - what happens to you should you contract Covid during the cruise is ultimately at Viking's discretion.

There is confirmation in the Viking Health and Safety FAQs below. At least they indicate that they will assist with arrangements. 

To all pax and prospective ones - if you haven't already done so, I strongly suggest reading the info on the Viking site, and/or your contract - it will better inform your decisions. Safe sailing!  🥌🍻

Guests with a positive COVID-19 test will be isolated on board and then disembarked at the first opportunity for quarantine at an appropriate facility ashore. A second test will be performed to validate the first test. If the second test confirms COVID-19, we will arrange for the guest to recover ashore before returning home once their recovery is complete. Upon their return home, Viking Customer Relations will contact the guest and their travel advisor directly regarding any necessary refunding or rescheduling.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jenna37 said:

Does anyone know how the trivia is currently working with Covid restrictions? If teams of 4 or 6 are allowed does anyone want to make up a team with Jenna and I?

Jeff

On the 29 May cruise trivia was mainly in pairs. I think there were one or two groups of 4 but they may have been in a more general 'bubble' (e.g. travelling together).

14 hours ago, jenna37 said:

Does anyone know how the trivia is currently working with Covid restrictions? If teams of 4 or 6 are allowed does anyone want to make up a team with Jenna and I?

Jeff

We would have been happy to join you but it sounds as if that won’t be possible 😉

18 hours ago, Janet&David said:

On the 29 May cruise trivia was mainly in pairs. I think there were one or two groups of 4 but they may have been in a more general 'bubble' (e.g. travelling together).

Thanks . It looks like it will be me and the wife then.