Suez blockage

smellycruzer

2 hours ago, smellycruzer said:

Did the camel bite their leg or were the 2 camels in a fight and the visitor intervened?

When you ride the camels the handler is in the front camel leading the guest on a second camel at a fast pace.  The collision occurred when the handlers did not yield to each other and the guest camels collided injuring the gentleman’s leg.   

Edited by kiwimum
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

When you ride the camels the handler is in the front camel leading the guest on a second camel at a fast pace.  The collision occurred when the handlers did not yield to each other and the guest camels collided injuring the gentleman’s leg.   

Wow, interesting. I would like to try that someday but was told I'm over the weight limit for a mule ride. Perhaps a camel can endure larger loads.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:15 AM, SteveH2508 said:

It was 50 C in the Valley of the Kings apparently when we were there - fortunately there was little walking and the tombs are cool - unlike Petra!

We were at the Valley of the Kings in March and none of us were too happy when our guide had us leave for the Valley of the Queens and Kings pre-dawn.  We understood when we were done with all the tombs by 9 AM and it was already blistering hot!  Other tour groups were arriving as we left to go back to blissful air conditioning.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

From what I've heard, the ship is only partially afloat, the bow is still firmly aground.  They freed the stern, and rotated the ship 20*, but from photos today, I see excavators on dry land a good way down the starboard side, and older photos looked like the bow was about 2 meters out of the water.  Freeing the stern was known to be the "easy part", now they are looking at hydraulic dredging (blasting the sand from under the ship with high pressure water) to break the suction at the bow.

35 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

A little bit on the self-congratulatory side but it does appear as though the Suez Canal Authority expects to have the waterway open very soon.

https://www.suezcanal.gov.eg/English/MediaCenter/News/Pages/nav_29-03-2021.aspx

But the salvage experts, Smit, feel that only the easy part has been accomplished.  Since the spring high tide has already happened there, and no news about a total refloat being successful, I suspect it will be another day or two.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

But the salvage experts, Smit, feel that only the easy part has been accomplished.  Since the spring high tide has already happened there, and no news about a total refloat being successful, I suspect it will be another day or two.

I kinda trust Smit on this one.  I don’t expect the excellent admiral at the SCA to walk back his comments;  likely he’ll just issue a new release as though his last one didn’t exist.

On 3/27/2021 at 2:44 PM, kiwimum said:

Did see a visitor have his leg injured by two camels passing with no regard for each other.   

For safe passing, it's always important for camels to use whistle signals to indicate their intentions.

One whistle, captain.