Any catches to RU2 rate?

Banditswife

We booked a 7 day cruise using the RU2 rate which was about $150 pp higher than if we booked using a standard rate.  It claims to include Cheers.  So I am wondering if all the benefits of Cheers will be included, like specialty coffee, sodas, milkshakes, etc.  We are not heavy alcohol drinkers, but we do enjoy the specialty coffee & a soda every day.  Cheers would usually cost over $50 per day x 7 = >$350 for a 7 day.  I am just wondering if there is any fine print I did not see.  $350 pp is not worth it for us, but $150 is I think.

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

It's not like early saver in that after final payment you cant reprice it. Assuming there is a drinks offer even then.

Our PVP pitched it to us as the complete cheers program. Didn’t take the offer at the time but then went and got the package for two sets of B2Bs. One set was $220 and the other cost us $80, can’t beat the price for 28 days.

I had the RU2 offer and took it.  We are not big drinkers, but It's a pretty good deal.  The cost depends upon how many cruise days, etc.

Also, don't forget that by accepting the offer, you will likely forfeit any previous OBC associated witht he previous booking.

8 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

Lucky. RU2 is good.  We only get the RU9 offer which is nothing but a joke. It actually kinda ticks me off they keep sending it to me..... raise the cruise price $700 and then offer cheers. Ya, no thank you. 

^This.  So irritating!  And they keep sending the promo email like I’m going to forget that all they are doing is rolling in the price of Cheers 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep pouring the salt into an open wound.  We were not worthy of receiving a RU1, RU2 or RU3 code.  We did however get the insulting RU9 code for about 2 months before it was replaced by free wifi.  

I decided to get even and booked a B2B for August on the Mardi Gras.  I am 90% certain that it will not sail on our dates, so we will be the recipient of 1200 in OBC when I flip those cruises to next September.  The price difference will be given as additional OBC, so Cheers, gratuities and specialty dining will mostly be covered. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Keep pouring the salt into an open wound.  We were not worthy of receiving a RU1, RU2 or RU3 code.  We did however get the insulting RU9 code for about 2 months before it was replaced by free wifi.  

I decided to get even and booked a B2B for August on the Mardi Gras.  I am 90% certain that it will not sail on our dates, so we will be the recipient of 1200 in OBC when I flip those cruises to next September.  The price difference will be given as additional OBC, so Cheers, gratuities and specialty dining will mostly be covered. 

You may want to try a mock booking with your vifp number entered..  I never got any emails that I was eligible for RU2, but it was there when I went to book.

Side note, what is the difference between 1, 2, 3, and 9?

4 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Side note, what is the difference between 1, 2, 3, and 9?

The RU9 required an OV or above cabin only and was basically the same price wise as just paying full price for Cheers.  

RU1 RU2 and RU3 were good on all cabins and was 3 different  price points that were target marketed towards a certain percentage of VIFP members.  Carnival wanted to see what the different percentages were with the 3 different price points to see which one was the most effective.  The RU1 was the cheapest.

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

The RU9 required an OV or above cabin only and was basically the same price wise as just paying full price for Cheers.  

RU1 RU2 and RU3 were good on all cabins and was 3 different  price points that were target marketed towards a certain percentage of VIFP members.  Carnival wanted to see what the different percentages were with the 3 different price points to see which one was the most effective.  The RU1 was the cheapest.

Man I can't imagine how much cheaper, our RU2 was only $40/pp for a 4 day cruise.. 

Thanks for the clarification!

I received the RU1 offer 2x.  So I used it on two different cruises.  Each cruise it was about $200 more to use that code.  My husband received the RU2 offer which isn't bad either.  The RU9 code is awful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, jfaaborg said:

So is RU2 for both passengers in the same room? I'm contemplating between RU2 and OVW when I book a havana room next Nov

It's based on 2 pax in the cabin. For me solo I'm still paying for 2 so I'll pass. Yes both get cheers.

On 4/4/2021 at 12:14 AM, kona_wahine said:

Lucky. RU2 is good.  We only get the RU9 offer which is nothing but a joke. It actually kinda ticks me off they keep sending it to me..... raise the cruise price $700 and then offer cheers. Ya, no thank you. 

On 4/4/2021 at 8:23 AM, tdggal1980 said:

^This.  So irritating!  And they keep sending the promo email like I’m going to forget that all they are doing is rolling in the price of Cheers 🙄

Fully agree. I kept getting so irritated that I was not worthy of the targeted marketing using whatever algorithm was used that I decided to roll the dice and hopefully get revenge.  

A few months ago I booked a B2B on the Mardi Gras for the 8/7 and 8/14 sailings fully hoping that they would not sail so I could earn 1200 in OBC to use towards Cheers on my B2B that I would flip them to next year.