Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

2 hours ago, ValarieDennis said:

I wish the PV cabins stocked with wine. Not a beer drinker - although hubby will be happy.

We always have the beer traded out for wine.  You can tailor your mini-bar in the PV and higher cabins however you want.

8 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Thanks, very helpful.  And regarding the Akureyri excursions in posts #104-108, SantaFe1 told me that a new excursion was added after she posted this info (which of course, like others, is subject to change on later cruises).   There is now a 3.5 hour excursion to see Godafoss Waterfall and Laufas Museum, $99, morning, moderate). 

20 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thanks, very helpful.  And regarding the Akureyri excursions in posts #104-108, SantaFe1 told me that a new excursion was added after she posted this info (which of course, like others, is subject to change on later cruises).   There is now a 3.5 hour excursion to see Godafoss Waterfall and Laufas Museum, $99, morning, moderate). 

IMO, and having been to Akureyri before, this excursion seems like a decent trip at a decent price. You get a taste for the countryside, the waterfall is spectacular, and the Laufas turf houses provide a sense of Icelandic life a hundred years ago.

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Sigh.  We are going to be loaded down on excursions, with the quiet vox also hanging around our neck!  No jewelry on this trip.  

Maybe we can bling it out and make it a statement piece! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

IMO, and having been to Akureyri before, this excursion seems like a decent trip at a decent price. You get a taste for the countryside, the waterfall is spectacular, and the Laufas turf houses provide a sense of Icelandic life a hundred years ago.

It sounds good to me as well, but I'm probably going to go for the all day Natural Treasures excursion (7 hours, $149,  moderate, meal included).  It includes Godafoss, Myvatn lake area, and the lava, sulphur mud pool area of Namarskard and lunch. That sounds a little like a Golden Circle adventure, but I'm probably not going to do the Golden Circle excursion in Reykjavik, as we did it on our own a few years ago in a rental car. Therefore, I could probably go for  a variation of the Golden Circle tour.  And certainly on any excursion out of a city, I'll  be looking for nice scenery.

3 hours ago, Travel2Learn said:

Since we arrive at Reykjavik at 5am, best viewing from the ship may be during the middle of the night.  If you are on starboard side, ask when we will have the best view and set your clock.  We're port side because no other DV's were/are available. 

Wonder if it would be OK to walk around the ship in a bathrobe.  A few years ago, on a different cruise line, several of us went to the open pool deck in bathrobes and relaxed on loungers waiting and watching a total eclipse of the moon.  

There is no "middle of the night" as in pitch dark there.  Best you can hope for during mid-summer is bright twilight.

6 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

It sounds good to me as well, but I'm probably going to go for the all day Natural Treasures excursion (7 hours, $149,  moderate, meal included).  It includes Godafoss, Myvatn lake area, and the lava, sulphur mud pool area of Namarskard and lunch. That sounds a little like a Golden Circle adventure, but I'm probably not going to do the Golden Circle excursion in Reykjavik, as we did it on our own a few years ago in a rental car. Therefore, I could probably go for  a variation of the Golden Circle tour.  And certainly on any excursion out of a city, I'll  be looking for nice scenery.

Good choice! I spent 2 nights at Myvatn in 2011 and will stay there again next month. The Namarskard geothermal area is far more active and varied than the Geysir area on the Golden Circle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mpc524 said:

Love that idea!  We could wrap beads around the contact tracer - maybe bring different colors so we could match our outfits.

14 minutes ago, Donaghadee said:

There is no "middle of the night" as in pitch dark there.  Best you can hope for during mid-summer is bright twilight.

I hope we can see bright orange against the sky before the early sunrise.  July 20th sunrise at 3:56am.  Sunset on the 19th is 11:08pm.

Sunrise & sunset times
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/iceland/reykjavik?month=6&year=2021

Edited by Travel2Learn

And since I'm looking at Iceland pictures, I found this from 2017.  For those planning a visit to Gulfoss waterfall on the Golden Circle, look for a big rock in front of the visitor center/gift shop.  If you have decent balance and decent shoes, it's pretty easy to get up top and make yourself look like you're on top of the world!  My friends love this picture.

1665 Ruth on top of the world,SLIGHTLY Lighter  Gullfoss gift shop.jpg

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Love that idea!  We could wrap beads around the contact tracer - maybe bring different colors so we could match our outfits.

I was thinking about tying it to a bootlace to learn how durable it is...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ValarieDennis said:

I wish the PV cabins stocked with wine. Not a beer drinker - although hubby will be happy.

We exchanged our booze for wine with no problem and it was restocked before we ran out. Just ask.

59 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

It sounds good to me as well, but I'm probably going to go for the all day Natural Treasures excursion (7 hours, $149,  moderate, meal included).  It includes Godafoss, Myvatn lake area, and the lava, sulphur mud pool area of Namarskard and lunch.

That's the one I booked. We were going to do something similar last summer, so that is the one I picked for this trip.

9 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Removal from the ship at the next port according to the T&Cs. No refund, no assistance in returning home. 

That might give you more time in Iceland. Whether it's quality time is another issue altogether.

3 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

That might give you more time in Iceland. Whether it's quality time is another issue altogether.

Perhaps but I know I don’t want to find myself left on the pier in some small town without accommodations or transportation! 😂

Was just reading an interesting article on WAPO about an Australian woman who finally made it home to Oz from Moscow via a 3 day quarantine hotel in Frankfurt and was then in a 14 day quarantine barracks in the Northern Territories. Can’t even go outside beyond your veranda to exercise—no booze, no takeout, only grocery delivery. She made do with tooth breaking crackers smothered in vegemite (that was allowed) 🙂 

She tested negative but these were the onerous restrictions just to get into the country. A little ankle monitoring sounds like a walk in the park by comparison!😂

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mpc524 said:

Why note bring some glue and gold sprinkles.  Put the sprinkles in a sandwich bag, put glue on the contact tracer, put the contract tracer in the sandwich bag and shake it up - instant gold jewelry!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Don't get bent out of shape over this. Think of it not as people telling you "what the rules are" but as friends taking care of you -- because we don't want anyone learning the hard way, when it is too late to fix it. 

Moreover, remember  that responses are not just for the benefit of the person who posed the question but for everyone reading, so that no one, no matter when they started reading the thread, is confused about the rules and restrictions that we are facing on this cruise.

Thank you for your level headed response to the comments made to me by @StuLaurie .   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1