Here's what I think MSC may be doing with these NAR bookings

Stockjock

If they change it to NAR (No allowed refund?), it usually means that the cruise has been or will be cancelled.

But it seems like they're also changing the date.  So in my case, from 10-night in October 2021 to a 2 night in May 2021.  Others have had a similar experience.   One person on Splendida had hers changed from November 2021 to a 2-night in May 2021.

But guess what?  May 2021 is not within the free cancellation window while October and November 2021 are.  That could mean that the system won't allow the customer to cancel without a penalty, so if they want their money back they'd first have to wait for formal cancellation notice, then wait for delivery of the future cruise certificate (FCC) and finally make a request for reund of deposit only after receiving FCC weeks or months later.

If this is the case, it seems a bit sneaky, don't you think?

Edited by Stockjock

I've just looked at my cancelled August Magnifica cruise and it has also been changed to a 2 day 14th - 16th May.  Chaos all round I think. 

I chose not to rebook on to the Virtuosa but am waiting for a fcc to be issued in May (this cruise was booked with a fcc from March 2020) 

When they applied my fcc to this cruise the balance was £43 which I paid and ever since it has always said the cruise cost was £43.  I expect to have a lot of 'fun' convincing them otherwise when they issue my fcc. 

Happy days!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 4:44 PM, Stockjock said:

If they change it to NAR (No allowed refund?), it usually means that the cruise has been or will be cancelled.

But it seems like they're also changing the date.  So in my case, from 10-night in October 2021 to a 2 night in May 2021.  Others have had a similar experience.   One person on Splendida had hers changed from November 2021 to a 2-night in May 2021.

But guess what?  May 2021 is not within the free cancellation window while October and November 2021 are.  That could mean that the system won't allow the customer to cancel without a penalty, so if they want their money back they'd first have to wait for formal cancellation notice, then wait for delivery of the future cruise certificate (FCC) and finally make a request for reund of deposit only after receiving FCC weeks or months later.

If this is the case, it seems a bit sneaky, don't you think?

... the plot thickens ...

1 hour ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

... the plot thickens ...

I think you will find that the date has been moved forward for accounting purposes only, after that date it will no longer be visible.  The NAR cruise has probably  been cancelled. You will be advised of a Possible FCC or additional spend or details how to claim refund.

Edited by LifeonMars

On 4/18/2021 at 9:33 AM, LifeonMars said:

I think you will find that the date has been moved forward for accounting purposes only, after that date it will no longer be visible.  The NAR cruise has probably  been cancelled. You will be advised of a Possible FCC or additional spend or details how to claim refund.

For those of you that have discovered your cruises moved up & put in NAR, have any of you received the promised correspondence from MSC regarding notification and your options?

From reading on cruise critic it appears many of them were no where near final payment, these were cruises in August & September. The deposits were refundable. 

Also why are these particular sailings different from other cancelled sailings that just simply get cancelled? These NAR reservations are put in this holding spot & considered "locked" and the agents can not do anything with them. I get that MSC needs a day or two to shuffle things around during these uncertain and fluid times but locking up theses reservations indefinitely just seems odd.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cruisernat said:

For those of you that have discovered your cruises moved up & put in NAR, have any of you received the promised correspondence from MSC regarding notification and your options?

From reading on cruise critic it appears many of them were no where near final payment, these were cruises in August & September. The deposits were refundable. 

Also why are these particular sailings different from other cancelled sailings that just simply get cancelled? These NAR reservations are put in this holding spot & considered "locked" and the agents can not do anything with them. I get that MSC needs a day or two to shuffle things around during these uncertain and fluid times but locking up theses reservations indefinitely just seems odd.

This is certainly odd

A few months back, when they cancelled my MSc magnifica booking because of a private charter (not related to covid), the system automatically  put me on another ship in another month without my knowledge or permission.

When my agent contacted MSC to ask for a 125 % FCC, it was refused and they offered 100% cash refund.

Or the option to transfer my deposit to any another Cruise without gifting me OBC and without the 25% premium as compensation.

Edited by drsel

For me, this was a late October 2021 cruise put into NAR status.  I've received no notifications and it's been there for about 2 weeks.  The agents know nothing about it.

I think MSC does a pretty poor job keeping customers informed as to changes.  And moving the date up 5-6 months without an explanation seems pretty sneaky.

16 hours ago, Stockjock said:

For me, this was a late October 2021 cruise put into NAR status.  I've received no notifications and it's been there for about 2 weeks.  The agents know nothing about it.

I think MSC does a pretty poor job keeping customers informed as to changes.  And moving the date up 5-6 months without an explanation seems pretty sneaky.

It's Just to keep track of all the deposits received for the cancelled Cruise which have to be shifted to other Cruises or refunded.

The date of the NAR dummy Cruise is insignificant

46 minutes ago, drsel said:

I'm only wondering what sort of compensation they will offer us, whether OBC or a 125% FCC

For all the UK Magnifica sailings that were cancelled over the coming months it was OBC:

Between £125 & £250 if moving to MSC Virtuosa

Between €100 & €200 if booking any other ship.

The different figures are for the shortest and longest original Magnifica sailing.

My Magnifica sailing was marked NAR after it got cancelled.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Thanks 1

Purely by chance (and not from reading anything on CC), I logged in using my booking details and found my 28th August 7 night Magnifica no fly Southampton to Norway had been changed to a 2 night Southampton to Norway for the same price on the 14th May. (as other above.)

I rang and at first told it was a glitch and nothing to worry about until I pointed out all sailings had gone. She then changed this to yes its been cancelled and when I asked when, was told last week and emails have been sent out.

Not sure I appreciate being lied to and the change in response without speaking to anyone clearly proved to me she was doing just that.

Anyway, she just said I should pick something else and the 7 night sailing on the same date was going to Liverpool and Glasgow.... for £400 more! Can't think of 2 places I'd less rather go!

This booking was made in February.... anyone know when they actually cancelled?

14 minutes ago, les37b said:

Purely by chance (and not from reading anything on CC), I logged in using my booking details and found my 28th August 7 night Magnifica no fly Southampton to Norway had been changed to a 2 night Southampton to Norway for the same price on the 14th May. (as other above.)

I rang and at first told it was a glitch and nothing to worry about until I pointed out all sailings had gone. She then changed this to yes its been cancelled and when I asked when, was told last week and emails have been sent out.

Not sure I appreciate being lied to and the change in response without speaking to anyone clearly proved to me she was doing just that.

Anyway, she just said I should pick something else and the 7 night sailing on the same date was going to Liverpool and Glasgow.... for £400 more! Can't think of 2 places I'd less rather go!

My TA informed me 31st March  stating all Magnifica  sailings were cancelled ex Southampton and stated MSC were offering re book on  Virtuosa for additional £250 obc or rebook another voyage  with additional €200 obc. or refund of all monies paid. 

21 minutes ago, les37b said:

All the emails went out W/C 29th March (earliest sailings first). I had two booking (booked direct) and got my first email on 29th and second on 30th, check your spam folder.
This is the content:

SUBJECT: Important Notice: MSC Virtuosa to replace MSC Magnifica

REFERENCE: 3xxxxxx5

Dear Guest,

We are excited to announce that MSC Virtuosa will perform her inaugural season around the British Isles, replacing MSC Magnifica to spend the summer operating the special range of sailings we recently announced. This opens up a range of options for your guest to rebook. MSC Virtuosa is our brand new flagship which features state of the art technology, fantastic dining options, extensive childrens’ facilities and an enhanced MSC Yacht Club experience. As your sailing has been cancelled, we would like to provide you with the 3 options below.

Option 1

For those of you that can’t wait to join MSC Virtuosa on her inaugural season, we are offering the opportunity to be amongst the very first to rebook on her special sailings around the British Isles when sales open on the 1st April. Should you wish to rebook, we are giving you an additional benefit of a non-refundable on-board credit of £250.00 per cabin which will be applied to your new reservation.

Please note if you have previously received any on board credit, this is not combinable, instead the greater amount of On Board Credit will be applied to your new booking.

Re-booking on MSC Virtuosa is time sensitive and all bookings must be made by the 30th April 2021. Please be advised that we have limited capacity on the ship due to government guidelines and our health & safety protocols. Therefore, bookings will be taken on a strictly first come first served basis.

Option 2

For those of you wishing to sail either further afield or at a later time with us on any other sailing, please be advised that we will be issuing new vouchers for you to rebook in early May, with an additional benefit of a non-refundable on board credit of €200 euros per cabin which will be applied to your new reservation once made. The new voucher can be applied to any new reservation you make for any of our sailings currently on sale. 

Please note, if you previously received any on board credit, this is not combinable, instead the above On Board Credit will be applied to the new booking. Further terms & conditions of this will be made clear on your voucher.

We kindly ask for you to wait until you’ve received your voucher before getting back in touch with us to discuss re-booking.

Option 3

Lastly, if you would like to request a refund please email operationsuk@msccruises.co.uk with Refund Request and the booking reference in the subject line.

Insurance

It is mandatory for all UK guests to be in possession of Covid-19 travel insurance prior to their holiday with us. While we hope there is no need to use it, you must ensure your policy covers you from booking through to the end of your cruise. This will ensure total peace of mind knowing that you are fully protected.

Proof of insurance which includes Covid-19 protection for all passengers is a requirement to embark the ship and failure to produce it will unfortunately result in being denied embarkation.

MSC Cruises has partnered with Europe Assistance to offer appropriate and comprehensive travel insurance cover for your holiday. To find out more, please contact our contact centre directly.

We thank you for your support and look forward to welcoming you back on board.

Kind Regards,

Charlotte Jones

Head of Contact Centre UK and Ireland

Errors Omissions and Changes

Every effort has been made to ensure accuracy of the data and content of the letter relating to the offer made.  Please be advised should an error occur MSC Cruises reserve the right to change the offer accordingly.

Edited by ziggyuk

14 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

All the emails went out W/C 29th March (earliest sailings first). I had two booking (booked direct) and got my first email on 29th and second on 30th, check your spam folder.
This is the content

Many thanks. Spam folder checked and nothing found. My sailing was the 28th August, so maybe yours was a much earlier booking? (Though not sure why that would make a difference!)

Either way, if they started sending these emails out last month, it's inconceivable that she was not aware and claiming it must be a glitch. She said in the end, that an email was sent last week (nothing for that either!)

I did engage with her about alternatives and asked the situation on tests and vaccines before boarding. She said if you've had both shots you don't need to get a test done. Looking on the website, it looks pretty clear you do regardless of vaccine status.

I'm desperate to get back on a ship, but the ports theyve chosen are awful. Seen several offering the Orkneys and Shetlands, so certainly a better alternative.

Hope the refund process is a little more open than my discovery and conversation with MSC today.

4 minutes ago, les37b said:

I did engage with her about alternatives and asked the situation on tests and vaccines before boarding. She said if you've had both shots you don't need to get a test done. Looking on the website, it looks pretty clear you do regardless of vaccine status.

If you have not had both shots you need a PCR test in advance.
I believe everyone has to have one of those quick tests at the port regardless of vaccine or PCR.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, les37b said:

Many thanks. Spam folder checked and nothing found. My sailing was the 28th August, so maybe yours was a much earlier booking? (Though not sure why that would make a difference!)

Either way, if they started sending these emails out last month, it's inconceivable that she was not aware and claiming it must be a glitch. She said in the end, that an email was sent last week (nothing for that either!)

I'm desperate to get back on a ship, but the ports theyve chosen are awful. Seen several offering the Orkneys and Shetlands, so certainly a better alternative.

Hope the refund process is a little more open than my discovery and conversation with MSC today.

MSC VIRTUOSA – UK SAILINGS
For MSC Virtuosa’ sailings around the British Isles in the upcoming months, we will initially welcome only UK residents of all ages, both vaccinated and unvaccinated. All unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests (i.e did not receive the full set of vaccine shots) will need to take a PCR (molecular) or antigen (lateral flow) swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. The test results certificate must be printed in two copies and presented at the terminal in order to embark on the ship. The test is not required for fully-vaccinated (proof of vaccination needed) or under 2 years old guests. However, as per our stringent MSC Health & Safety protocol, all guests both vaccinated and unvaccinated, will need to undergo some Health and COVID 19 screenings including a COVID 19 swab test, a health questionnaire and a contactless temperature check, before boarding the ship. End quote. 

Will be interesting  to see what proof of having had both doses of vaccine  will be required 

Edited by LifeonMars

9 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Will be interesting  to see what proof of having had both doses of vaccine  will be required 

Cheers for that... Actually I did ask that question too. I was told they will look up with your DoB and get the batch number details. I did ask how MSC with going to get given personal medical records and she said "I'm sure they've sorted it out".

This question is going to prove a difficult one. I asked my preferred CL on this (Currently new sailings at vaccinated only - but its not set in stone) and was told they weren't sure. I doubt they will accept the little blue signed card with your name and batch number given on the day. I've noticed mine are in my records which are viewable in "My patient" on my phone. None of this has really been thought through and must (I suspect) need assistance from the government to achieve. 

Then the next one...... how long after your second shot is it valid! lol

Actually that could be quite feasible about batch numbers and date of birth, as Travel Insurance Companies can get  and do get access to your medical Records.

As regards a third dose, that quite possibly will come as a booster, but we are presently in uncharted waters re a 3rd jab yet.

Even a Doctors letter or similar should be cheaper than having to pay for a Test 72hrs before travelling.

Perhaps it will just be that NHS card showing Batch and dates.

Don't forget that MSC have been sailing for a few months in Europe, with only a few guests showing signs of Covid, so will be interesting what they will be need for the UK market.  

Edited by LifeonMars
spell

7 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Actually that could be quite feasible about batch numbers and date of birth, as Travel Insurance Companies can get  and do get access to your medical Records.

As regards a third dose, that quite possibly will come as a booster, but we are presently in uncharted waters re a 3rd jab yet.

Even a Doctors letter or similar should be cheaper than having to pay for a Test 72hrs before travelling.

Indeed. These tests are a disgraceful price. Friends with Swiss residency went home after Xmas and it cost them £150 each. Imagine a weeks holiday for a family with that tagged on before departure and before returning.

Well if they have that, I have batch numbers. It certainly is something that needs clarification,

40 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

I agree, especially when you have the like of this, blank unused cards on a certain website, it's disgusting, I keep reporting them and more keep appearing!

image.png.5ed79863f7fac5e96a1d0c640e775eda.png

Edited by ziggyuk

To be honest the card is only useful to Remind the patient of their dates and batch number. Hopefully it will not nor should  be used as official ID of having had the vaccine.  Showing your medical record that you have had the vaccine in an app is more secure but not everyone would be willing no doubt, or would be app savvy.  I remember when we had to have a typhoid jab and certificate  stamped by the doctor which would be no different to a vaccine passport.  But then most things can be faked. Even Passports. Just needs staff to find the forgeries. Would not be surprised if there is not already a database for cross referencing for agencies to check. Like the DVLC let private companies have your address.  

Edited by LifeonMars

9 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

To be honest the card is only useful to Remind the patient of their dates and batch number. Hopefully it will not nor should  be used as official ID of having had the vaccine.  Showing your medical record that you have had the vaccine in an app is more secure but not everyone would be willing no doubt, or would be app savvy.  I remember when we had to have a typhoid jab and certificate  stamped by the doctor which would be no different to a vaccine passport.  But then most things can be faked. Even Passports. Just needs staff to find the forgeries. Would not be surprised if there is not already a database for cross referencing for agencies to check. Like the DVLC let private companies have your address.  

Hopefully, indeed.
Just agreeing it will be interesting to see what they require as an app is unlikely to be ready by the first cruise, a doctors note is feasible, so is showing your medical record on the NHS app but those silly cards are already compromised.

6 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Hopefully, indeed.
Just agreeing it will be interesting to see what they require as an app is unlikely to be ready by the first cruise, a doctors note is feasible, so is showing your medical record on the NHS app but those silly cards are already compromised.

I think most surgeries already have an app (either their own or one they have  linked with ) to show your medical record with your date and vaccine. Mine does. These apps also link to your NHS record anyway were your jabs are listed. Find out in a few months what is required.

Edited by LifeonMars