Serenity next to Camp Ocean?!?

indygirl76

I mostly sail Fantasy class, but I'm looking to branch out. I was just checking the Freedom deck plan, and saw that Serenity is right next to Camp Ocean. Um... what?? I wouldn't think that's a very serene location. 😂 😂 Can someone who's sailed on a ship with this setup, please chime in with your experience? 

Have cruised the Freedom a couple times, and again in January 2022 we hope, and have never found the Serenity Deck being next to Camp Ocean a problem, have actually never seen any little kids using that area when we looked in, Camp Ocean is for ages 2-11, I believe children need to be accompanied, bottom line for us has not been a problem. I would suggest the Freedom is a great ship to branch out on. 

Some Carnival ships have the entry point for the water slides on the same deck as Serenity, so the kids were always running up the stairs and yelling as they waited their turn.

We found we needed to go further away bow wise to be unaffected by that clamor.  The only time Camp Ocean ever briefly bothered us was when they were leaving their space for a trek around the ship or returning to it afterwards.

And I get yelled at by a Serenity cruiser who thought I was speaking too loudly with my brash NY voice in the hot tub, even though her screaming at me to shut up was even louder!

3 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Some Carnival ships have the entry point for the water slides on the same deck as Serenity, so the kids were always running up the stairs and yelling as they waited their turn.

I've seen these too, and it's just so bizarre to me. I know the ship designers are smarter than I am, but this just seems like REALLY poor planning.

3 minutes ago, evandbob said:

And I get yelled at by a Serenity cruiser who thought I was speaking too loudly with my brash NY voice in the hot tub, even though her screaming at me to shut up was even louder!

I hope you gave her the NY version of "bless your heart." 😄

On 4/17/2021 at 1:49 PM, indygirl76 said:

I've seen these too, and it's just so bizarre to me. I know the ship designers are smarter than I am, but this just seems like REALLY poor planning.

Ship designers had nothing to do with it.  Serenity was only added a few years ago, shoehorned on under utilized deck space.  Camp Carnival / Camp Ocean was there from the beginning.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jas1178 said:

Ship designers had nothing to do with it.  Serenity was only added a few years ago, shoehorned on under utilized deck space.  Camp Carnival / Camp Ocean was there from the beginning.

yup, just a way to get people to utilize empty space on most ships and free up space on the main decks.  all except the Spirit class with Serenity on the back pool deck.

We've been on Freedom a few times....   I agree,  the Serenity area is a flop on Freedom .. not only the excited kids screaming sharing the deck,  but the LARGE speakers from the Lido stage point towards Serenity.  We were on Freedom when the switch to DJs, and the demise of steel drums happened.   Have not been back to those ships.  Glory was our first cruise, but Serenity wasn't a thing back then !

On 4/17/2021 at 9:02 AM, indygirl76 said:

I mostly sail Fantasy class, but I'm looking to branch out. I was just checking the Freedom deck plan, and saw that Serenity is right next to Camp Ocean. Um... what?? I wouldn't think that's a very serene location. 😂 😂 Can someone who's sailed on a ship with this setup, please chime in with your experience? 

Speaking for my wife and I, we hate it.  Our first cruise ever was on a fantasy class with serenity off the back.  This spoiled us and is an experience that we’ve not been able to even come close on the ships with serenity off the top.

If you are looking for the fantasy class serenity experience, and serenity is one of your favorite parts of the ship, you should stick to the ones with serenity off the back.  There are a few other, non fantasy class, ships with serenity off the back, but I don’t remember which ones off hand..

I wound up booking the Pride, which has Serenity on Lido deck aft. The location looks good, but maybe iffy because the waterslides end immediately above? At least there's a bar to dull the sounds of (happily) screaming children, lol.