Port Fees Calculation?

16 hours ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

I do wonder if Port Fees/Taxes are actually a true representation of what is actually paid by RCI- the cynic in me wonders if it’s a hidden extra element of profit.

I am sure it is because if you look at NCL port fees you will see they are significantly higher than other lines visiting the same ports on the same days & they don’t refund them automatically when they cancel your sailing like other lines do.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

I do wonder if Port Fees/Taxes are actually a true representation of what is actually paid by RCI- the cynic in me wonders if it’s a hidden extra element of profit.

While in the past, some operational costs were factored into port taxes and fees, a class action lawsuit several years ago stopped that practice, and what can be legally claimed as taxes and fees is strictly limited.

18 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Is it a smaller ship? The fees tend to be based on ship weight.

No.  It may be based on Gross Tonnage, but that is not weight.  Some ships, like tankers and container ships are charged by the Deadweight Tonnage, and that is actual weight, but that is weight of cargo, not the ship.

13 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Some port fees and taxes are per person, others are a flat rate. With the flat rate taxes they work out less per person on Oasis because of the larger number of passengers. 

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

• Like 1