Right on Cue, CDC Advises Against Travel To The Bahamas

KennyFla

13 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Just in: "Bahamas Prime Minister says Bahamas will drop Covid testing requirement for fully vaccinated travelers" Winning! 

https://ewnews.com/pm-bahamas-to-allow-fully-vaccinated-travelers-to-bypass-pcr-testing-requirement

Does not seem that the Bahamas feel their situation is as dire as the CDC said.   Hmmmmmmm.

That's strange.

• Like 3

On 4/20/2021 at 3:12 PM, DCGuy64 said:

Absolutely it would, we had to cancel a trip to the Dominican Republic in January, while the CDC was still advising people against overseas travel. We bought insurance that covered Covid and received a full refund of what we'd paid. It's a good question you raise, and I was concerned about the "no travel" advisory affecting our insurance, but it wasn't an issue. But we're in the US so it might be different to the UK.

I think the key here is that you purchased insurance that covered Covid. I suspect this isn't the case with all insurance policies. I'm glad you were able to get your money refunded (less the cost of the insurance policy of course).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think the key here is that you purchased insurance that covered Covid. I suspect this isn't the case with all insurance policies. I'm glad you were able to get your money refunded (less the cost of the insurance policy of course).

Yes, and we got a good premium, only $78 for both of us, so $39 each. And we'd paid $2300 and got every penny back (except the cost of the policy, which was low). There are some great websites out there where you can compare insurance policies and can specify Covid coverage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, and we got a good premium, only $78 for both of us, so $39 each. And we'd paid $2300 and got every penny back (except the cost of the policy, which was low). There are some great websites out there where you can compare insurance policies and can specify Covid coverage.

Steve is a friend of mine. I believe I linked you his site years ago. He is the best. If you aren't using him, I strongly suggest you take a peak. 

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Can you get insurance from a third party, not the travel agency you booked the cruise from?

Nevermind.

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 1

Here's all the countries to be avoided. The CDC and Biden do not want us traveling anywhere, they want us to stay home locked in our basements so they can more easily control us.

On the color coded map showing the red countries, the US is there. So according to the CDC and State Dept. Americans shouldn't travel within the US.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Steve is a friend of mine. I believe I linked you his site years ago. He is the best. If you aren't using him, I strongly suggest you take a peak. 

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

Yes, he's a great guy, I chatted with him. The site I used was Squaremouth and we used Trawick insurance. Our TA also offers it through AIG, I believe. There are MANY companies that offer it. But you have to do a lot of reading, I think our policy was 18 pp long! Oy vey!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Can you get insurance from a third party, not the travel agency you booked the cruise from?

Nevermind.

Yes, that's what we did. We just used a site that compares different travel insurers, but the policy was purchased directly from the insurance company, not through a 3rd party.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Here's all the countries to be avoided. The CDC and Biden do not want us traveling anywhere, they want us to stay home locked in our basements so they can more easily control us.

On the color coded map showing the red countries, the US is there. So according to the CDC and State Dept. Americans shouldn't travel within the US.

I'm proud to say I'm scheduled to visit a lot of these "banned" countries. It'll be like a sort of rogue's gallery where we all boast of going to all of the "do not go" countries!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Nevermind.

I know you said 'never-mind' but let me just add this.....

Not only can you get insurance from a third party, I strongly advise it. Every travel agent (and I mean every single one) technically works for the cruise line. That's who cuts them a commission check. An insurance policy completely separate from the cruise line and travel agency is your best option to avoid conflict of interest. 

Hope that helps a tiny bit :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm proud to say I'm scheduled to visit a lot of these "banned" countries. It'll be like a sort of rogue's gallery where we all boast of going to all of the "do not go" countries!

I went to Costa Rica in January. I am going to Namibia in June. Supposed to be going to Denmark to embark an Oceana Baltic cruise in August, but that's not happening. So I'm going to Colorado in September instead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

But, will they allow entry to US citizens!? 

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

By going ahead and visiting these countries, you are "poking the bear" (CDC) and "stirring the hornets nest" (State Dept) thereby fully meeting attribute #3 in the CC Rat Pack original charter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, hamrag said:

But, will they allow entry to US citizens!? 

Some do, some don't. Before planning a trip to any of these countries you need to do your due diligence and check out the entry requirements. Some are tedious and complicated, some are not.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:43 AM, DCGuy64 said:

The CDC has just embarrassed itself over and over. I'm surprised by the number of people still falling for the "it just takes one outbreak to end cruising again" canard. Over 400,000 passengers have sailed since last summer without this happening. Have there been some isolated incidents? Sure, just like on land. But the CDC is STILL relying on information from LAST spring with the Diamond Princess and Ruby Princess, as though the last year hasn't seen any progress. It's really rather pathetic that they won't even acknowledge all of the developments that have taken place. Cruising is arguably safer now than it's been in many years, given the protocols and vaccinations. That the CDC fails to acknowledge this shows how behind the times they are.

Swift passage of the CRUISE Act was blocked in the Senate. It has now been referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/legal-regulatory/washington-senator-blocks-swift-passage-cruise-act

Perhaps the CDC is going to take a wait-and-see posture and evaluate how cruise re-openings fare across the World. Expect to see more Caribbean home-porting. Getting a few thousand passengers to each of those ports is a challenge. Airlines would have to significantly boost flights. But with business travel expected to remain weak, they could likely pivot.