Changing a Lift & Shift to an FCC ?

dandee2

Good morning,

Early last year we were able to get FCC for our Aug. 2020 that didn't happen (Med. cruise). Our deposit where non-refundable.
We, and another couple got the FCC but the third couple were only offered Lift & Shift to the Aug. 2021 cruise but cannot go (no 2nd dose vaccine until late 2021). Their TA won't budge and say that he can't change it, meaning they will loose their deposit. Maybe the couple misunderstood or the explanation was not clear to them.

Is that something that can be reversed? Is there something new on the part of RCCL and Celebrity. Thanks for the help.

You can cancel with the Cruise with Confidence program:

What You Should Know

• For cancelation within any phase of penalty, refunds will be issued as Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the full cruise fare amount.  
  • In order to receive 100% FCC, your booking must be paid in full.
  • For cancelation outside of penalty, your refund will be issued to the original form of payment.
  • Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings: If canceled outside of penalty, the full deposit amount will be returned (without penalty) in the form of an FCC. If canceled within any phase of penalty, the cruise fare including full deposit (without penalty) will be issued as an FCC.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

Edited by gerelmx

I found this in the FAQ. I have removed a table with dates for making changes, etc. for brevity. Note the section in bold toward the end:

My cruise was cancelled by Celebrity Cruises as part of the global suspension of sailing, can I take advantage of “Lift & Shift”?

Yes. If you had a booking on a cruise that was canceled by Celebrity Cruises as part of the global sailing suspension, you are eligible to ‘Lift & Shift’ it, in lieu of getting a 125% FCC or a refund, but the deadline for  doing so may be earlier than the January 31, 2021 deadline for “Lifting & Shifting” an active booking under the Cruise with Confidence program. You would need to “Lift & Shift” your booking from the cruise Celebrity cancelled on or before the deadline shown below for that sailing. If you do not “Lift & Shift” your booking by the relevant deadline, the 125% FCC will automatically be issued for your booking.

<removed table>

Except for the different deadline, the terms and conditions for “Lift & Shift” under the Cruise with Confidence program would be the same.

If you elect to “Lift & Shift” your booking from a sailing that was cancelled by Celebrity Cruises to another sailing, you will be ineligible to receive any form of FCC or refund for that booking. The cruise fare and any prepaid taxes and fees or prepaid gratuities would be transferred to the new booking.

If the 125% was issued, prior to your “Lifting & Shifting” of the booking to another sailing, the FCC will be invalidated and you will not receive the extra 25% in FCC value.

This is from the USA site so may not apply globally. Also, some have mentioned Celebrity is more flexible in some cases.

I realize this does not offer a solution but I hope it at least sheds some light on the explanation from the TA. I wish them luck on this!

The other couple where "instructed" by their TA to do a Lift and Shift back in June 2020. Celebrity transfered their cruise to August 2021. They only paid the Deposit NOT the full amount.

My understanding from your post is if they cancel, they will loose their deposit (abt 900$CA). Better to loose 900$ that 4000$ - Lesson learned. Thanks.

There is some slight room for interpretation in what Celebrity said in the FAQ. Where it says "If you elect to “Lift & Shift” your booking from a sailing that was cancelled by Celebrity Cruises to another sailing, you will be ineligible to receive any form of FCC or refund for that booking," it does not necessarily indicate no refund or FCC for the 2021sailing. Looking at their wording, my interpretation is they get nothing back from the 2020 cruise but might from the 2021 cruise. The TA (or the Celebrity agent the TA spoke to) might be interpreting it differently.

I should point out that I base this solely on what I read on the Celebrity web site. I have not done a Lift & Shift and my only cancelled cruise went to FCC and I have another cruise to which I will apply that FCC. My experience with this FCC, L&S, etc., is very limited. Others that have actually gone through some of this might be able to provide real-world data.

2 hours ago, dandee2 said:

The other couple where "instructed" by their TA to do a Lift and Shift back in June 2020. Celebrity transfered their cruise to August 2021. They only paid the Deposit NOT the full amount.

My understanding from your post is if they cancel, they will loose their deposit (abt 900$CA). Better to loose 900$ that 4000$ - Lesson learned. Thanks.

The FAQ was saying if you elect to L&S your cancelled cruise you won't get any refund for FCC for that cancelled cruise.  The L&S IS the compensation for the cancellation.

Now if they want to cancel the new booking before final payment they will receive FCC for the entire deposit which will be good to book a cruise by 4/30/2022 and sail by 9/30/2022.   Of course if they aren't going to be sailing they FCC will just go unused and the money will essentially be lost.   You may check with your insurance company to see if once the FCC is expired if they cover that loss, some do.

There is also the ability to transfer and FCC to another traveler, that expires end of May.   That person I think has to have an existing reservation to be the recipient but you would have to confirm details with Celebrity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dandee2 said:The couple in question will be in touch with the TA Friday. The TA is trying to get them to extend final payment another 2 weeks. Which is not what they want. Will let you know.

So it sounds like the TA is trying to salvage their commission not do what the customer wants or what is best for the customer. I would look for a new TA going forward.

• Like 1

I think getting final payment extended until Celebrity actually cancels is the only way the OP's friends are going to get what they want as there is no option to convert their FCC to a refund at this point.  Unfortunately I doubt 2 weeks will make much difference I think a month or more would be required.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Our friends were able, after much discussion, to get a credit for their cruise. They originally accepted the LIFT and SHIFT but where not told at the time (apr2020) about the credit they could have chosen instead. They (and we) had non-refundable deposit. They are satisfied with the outcome.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

• Like 1

Glad it worked out to your satisfaction.   I can see them making an exception for FCC (isn't that what would have happened if they cancelled the L&S cruise with Cruise with Confidence?).   But I don't think anyone should get their hopes up for getting a refund.

• Like 1