Disembarkation process after overnight in port

Hi all!  I posted a similar question a few days ago on the Ports of Call / South America board, but thought maybe HAL veterans would have more info.

Booked on early 2022 HAL 14-Day South America Passage ending in Buenos Aires.  Hoping it goes!!!  Our ship arrives Buenos Aires the day before the cruise terminates, effectively making the ship our hotel the final night.  I'd like to understand how the disembarkation process works, since – unlike any of our previous cruises – we will have arrived the day before.

It's important because we're looking at flying out to Iguazu Falls that day and are trying to determine how early we can depart AEP, the small airport close to cruise terminal.  Because we arrive in BA the day before, it seems like we can count on the ship not being late, but will we have already been processed through customs/passport control?  Is disembarkation/luggage handling different or is it basically the usual?

I'd appreciate any input on whether we can we reasonably expect to make an 11 a.m. flight from AEP if we opt to walk off with our bags.  Earlier?  Seems like it ought to be possible.  All feedback and experiences welcome!  Thank you!

We have disembarked twice in Buenos Aires, once on Holland America and once on Hurtigruten.Our last experience was in 2018.   Port formalities were relatively quick.  Both times we were going to spend several nights in BA after our cruises, so we did not have to make an early flight.  Several ship mates had early flights, and were off the ship before 8.  The biggest problem is the taxi system.  The drivers have a tightly controlled system that charges a premium for the cruise terminal.  The drivers will not negotiate.  The price of taxi to a city hotel was the same as the cost of a taxi from the hotel to the international airport.  We paid in US dollars.  Several passengers walked with their bags to the train station a mile away rather than pay the taxi drivers.    My experience is pre-COVID.

• Like 1

You could also consider self-disembarkation the day/evening before, and spending that last night in a hotel. That way you can start as early as you want in the morning. That can be easily arranged, but needs to be arranged in advance. 

Thank you, all, for the useful information.

There are seven in our party (three generations, four staterooms) so we’re looking at booking a van in advance for transportation. Sounds like that’s a good move given the taxi situation!  If anyone has recommendations for a reliable service, I would be grateful. 

We’re inclined to stay on the ship the last night if we can get to the airport reasonably early.  The AEP > IGR flights run frequently and the best for us is probably either the 9:35 or 11 a.m. flight. Sounds like 11 a.m. should be doable. Anyone disagree?

Thank you so much for your help!

5 hours ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

Thank you, all, for the useful information.

There are seven in our party (three generations, four staterooms) so we’re looking at booking a van in advance for transportation. Sounds like that’s a good move given the taxi situation!  If anyone has recommendations for a reliable service, I would be grateful. 

We’re inclined to stay on the ship the last night if we can get to the airport reasonably early.  The AEP > IGR flights run frequently and the best for us is probably either the 9:35 or 11 a.m. flight. Sounds like 11 a.m. should be doable. Anyone disagree?

Thank you so much for your help!

Make sure you stick with the black/yellow taxis, and tell the supervisor in the Pax hall that you want to go to the airport, AEP not EZE, international airport. The prizes to the aiport are fixed, so get yourself a roomy one for your luggage.

Don't forget that international flights (typically) require check-in 2 hours prior to departure.

Had an international flight/ticket once, with a in-country first leg, then transfer to the international leg. We arrived with plenty of time for the in-country leg, only to be told we had just made the 2 hour check-in window by 5 minutes for international flights. If the ticket is for international travel - the 2 hour check-in is for the first flight.This was for US originating flights - but other countries/carriers also have 2 hour international flight check-in rules - be (very) sure to check.

It’s also a bit of a haul to EZE, at least an hour.  No way would I do the 9:45am unless you do as @RuthC suggested and stay overnight at or near the airport.  Even with the 11:00 I would want to leave by 7:00am or earlier from the ship

Thanks for your replies!  Yes, we'll be on a domestic flight out of AEP departing 11:00 a.m. and we're going to hire a van in advance to pick us up at the ship and take us to AEP airport with a brief stop at our BA hotel (in Recoleta, so also close to the cruise terminal and AEP airport) to drop off most of our belongings.  We'll fly up to Iguazu and spend a night at the falls before returning to BA.

In terms of the actual disembarkation day, is it the same as usual?  Disembarkation by group, wait in lounges, etc?  We will need to self-disembark, I imagine, in order to get off around 8 a.m. and be at the airport at 9 a.m.  Does that sound right?

Edited by johnnyswitzerland

1 hour ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

In terms of the actual disembarkation day, is it the same as usual?  Disembarkation by group, wait in lounges, etc?  We will need to self-disembark, I imagine, in order to get off around 8 a.m. and be at the airport at 9 a.m.  Does that sound right?

If self-disembarkation is allowed (I don't remember if it is in BA), it usually starts about 7:30, and you will need all of that time to be at the airport by 9:00, IMO. 
In BA, IIRC first you have to take a bus to the terminal. With all self-disembarkers, all of whom have their own luggage, that's going to be tough, so will take extra time. 
If self-disembarkation is not allowed, then it could get more time consuming. 

6 hours ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

Thanks for your replies!  Yes, we'll be on a domestic flight out of AEP departing 11:00 a.m. and we're going to hire a van in advance to pick us up at the ship and take us to AEP airport with a brief stop at our BA hotel (in Recoleta, so also close to the cruise terminal and AEP airport) to drop off most of our belongings.  We'll fly up to Iguazu and spend a night at the falls before returning to BA.

One of the benefits of HAL is you can wait in your cabin until your group/color is called.  

Here are my posts from my recent trip to Iguazu Falls.   You may find them helpful

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/day-18-iguazu-falls/

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/day-19-iguazu-falls-argentina/

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/day-20-walking-to-buenos-aires/

17 hours ago, RuthC said:

If self-disembarkation is allowed (I don't remember if it is in BA), it usually starts about 7:30, and you will need all of that time to be at the airport by 9:00, IMO. 
In BA, IIRC first you have to take a bus to the terminal. With all self-disembarkers, all of whom have their own luggage, that's going to be tough, so will take extra time. 
If self-disembarkation is not allowed, then it could get more time consuming. 

I think since we're departing the small airport (AEP) which is only ten minutes from the cruise terminal, we should be okay.  But yes, we will head out as early as we can.  This is why I was interested in the disembarkation process, particularly since the ship arrives in BA the day before.

11 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

One of the benefits of HAL is you can wait in your cabin until your group/color is called.  

Here are my posts from my recent trip to Iguazu Falls.   You may find them helpful

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/day-18-iguazu-falls/

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/day-19-iguazu-falls-argentina/

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/day-20-walking-to-buenos-aires/

Thank you for the links, @The-Inside-Cabin.  I will definitely read with interest!

I maybe wrong but I have this nagging memory that on our first visit to BA in 2015, they would not allow anyone off the ship until 8:00.  Something to do with the port union or some law.  We were also going to Iguazu on a 9:30 flight.  When we were told on board about the delayed disembarkation we rescheduled our flight to a little later.  It turned out that we could have made the early flight as AEP is so close and we only had carry on.  

15 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I maybe wrong but I have this nagging memory that on our first visit to BA in 2015, they would not allow anyone off the ship until 8:00.  Something to do with the port union or some law.  We were also going to Iguazu on a 9:30 flight.  When we were told on board about the delayed disembarkation we rescheduled our flight to a little later.  It turned out that we could have made the early flight as AEP is so close and we only had carry on.  

Interesting…  Thanks, @KirkNC!  This gets to the heart of the matter.  How or why would they restrict disembarkation when the ship has already been in port for 24 hours?  We'll be off the ship the day before so presumably passport control will not be an issue(?).  I'd think if they don't start offloading bags until 8 a.m., we could still head out earlier if we're walking our own bags off…unless there's an issue with customs.  Maybe hours of operation.

One more thing to consider, for both legs of your AEP/IGR flights (especially since you are staying only 1 night in Iguazu.)

It is not uncommon for flights to be delayed due to jungle weather, both outbound and return. You just might want to think about disembarking the evening before and staying in a hotel, and booking an early flight to IGR. That also gives you time to see more of the park.

When I went in 2018 I booked through a local agent. He would not book my return for embarkation day ( even though I was willing to as the ship was overnighting in the port.) He said about half of the return flights are delayed, or outright cancelled, and it was too much risk.

As it turned out, I booked the first flight out of AEP (like 9:00a) and a noon return. Both my flights were fine, but the flights after mine to Iguazu arrived around 9:00pPM in a jungle deluge.  The tower at AEP was struck by lightning causing the cancellations/ delays. I was there and checked in by noon, and spent the afternoon in the park- essentially an additional 5 hours of touring at my own pace. 

Thank you both for your input and ideas.  I think with such a short stay, we're just going to have to gamble on the weather and hope.  Re luggage, yes, it did occur to us that we may be able to drop off luggage the day before.  Hotel has agreed to hold luggage for us while we're in Iguazu.  The location in Recoleta is so close to the terminal though, that we'll probably just drop it off on disembarkation day on the way to AEP airport.  Google maps says the route from cruise terminal to hotel and on to AEP is a total of just 32 minutes.  I realize that can change with traffic and it may take some time to drop off the luggage, but if we can get off the ship at 8 I think we'll be okay.

Plan is to tour the Brazil side of the falls that first afternoon post-arrival, stay there overnight and hit the falls again early a.m. before heading back over to the Argentina side for most of day two.  Flying back to AEP that second evening.  This seems to make the most sense as it looks like we'll need more time on the Argentine side.

@The-Inside-Cabin, I really enjoyed reading your travel blog about Iguazu!  I think I'm going to be doing a lot more reading on your site.  Thank you!  It sounds like your driver/guide was invaluable.  Very helpful info!