manchester airport coach pick up

kevboy

Hi all, Can anyone tell me where I join the coach at Manchester airport for the drive to Southampton for the transatlantic crossing in October B124 ( Hopefully). For ambulatory reasons I am trying to establish my best overnight hotel stay versus Taxi drop off. Any advice appreciated, thank you

You may be best ringing P&O about that.  Even without a mobility issue you would need a transfer from a hotel anyway especially with luggage  All the hotels have shuttles to the terminals, though probably more likely you would be leaving from the transport hub, by the train station and I am not sure if the hotel shuttles serve that.  Perhaps after speaking to P&O it would be worth phoning a couple of hotels.  The cheaper hotels charge a small amount for shuttles, but they tend to be provided for the short hop by the big on airport hotels.

The Hilton is one of the nearest to the train station complex, but is across a very busy road, so with a lot of luggage I would get a transfer shuttle or taxi to where you could pick up a trolley.  Any taxi charge would be a small amount compared to a hotel cost, so an off airport hotel may be just as good if not too far away.  Lots of choice possibly via holiday extras, though can still compare the cost to pay direct with your hotel of choice.

Edited by tring

On 5/6/2021 at 5:14 PM, kevboy said:

Hi all, Can anyone tell me where I join the coach at Manchester airport for the drive to Southampton for the transatlantic crossing in October B124 ( Hopefully). For ambulatory reasons I am trying to establish my best overnight hotel stay versus Taxi drop off. Any advice appreciated, thank you

Don't Eavesway or Ellisons have that contract? They seem to be the main 2 providers. Find out which one P&O intend to use and ring them for information. They my pick up at  a certain hotel to avoid the airport parking charges if those charges apply?

Or they may pick up at a service station like Burtonwood on the M62 perhaps?

On 5/9/2021 at 1:21 PM, ace2542 said:

Don't Eavesway or Ellisons have that contract? They seem to be the main 2 providers. Find out which one P&O intend to use and ring them for information. They my pick up at  a certain hotel to avoid the airport parking charges if those charges apply?

Or they may pick up at a service station like Burtonwood on the M62 perhaps?

The OP is referring to a trans Atlantic cruise, when P&O transport passengers one way by plane and then provide a coach between the airport and Southampton port for the other journey.  Hence cars can remain parked at the airport for the duration of the cruise if desired, or transport to or from the airport can easily be done by car, public transport or with a taxi drop/pick up.  This will be different from the normal port coach services which run between Southampton port and various parts of the country for other Southampton cruises.  We have previously sailed back to the UK, having flown from Manchester and then been dropped back at Manchester Airport from Southampton on the free transfer, along with many other people on a number of coaches, so since the OP mentions a pick up at Manchester Airport, I assume that system is probably still in place and all the coaches would be doing is picking up passengers, so I do not see where coach parking is involved.

As I mentioned there is a purpose built transport hub within the airport grounds, where there is a train station and a coach station, as well as a tram stop which serves central Manchester.  I do not really see P&O picking up or dumping such passengers in a Motorway service station in a remote location, more than 20 miles from the airport.  As we have both advised though, contacting P&O should give clarity, even if the OP is referred on to the coach transfer company as you suggest.  Having said that, this thread was started last Thursday and the OP has not returned to it, so it is quite possible he has forgotten he made the post (must admit I have been known to do that occasionally).

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

Thank you for your comments. I have asked P&O but they are unable to tell me anything except I will be notified 30 days before. This will probably be too late to book overnight hotel stay. The coach company now being used by P&O is intercruises but they have ignored my request for information. I have even asked the coach station at the airport if P&O coaches use it but they didnt know either. I was just hoping that someone having done the transatlantic from Manchester could help.

We have done the transatlantic a few times, the coaches left from the 

coach terminal next to the train station. I think there were about 11 coaches the last time we went, all leaving one after the other, we were told what time to arrive.

The last time we stayed at the Hilton on the airport and their mini bus dropped us off at the terminal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kevboy said:

Thank you for your comments. I have asked P&O but they are unable to tell me anything except I will be notified 30 days before. This will probably be too late to book overnight hotel stay. The coach company now being used by P&O is intercruises but they have ignored my request for information. I have even asked the coach station at the airport if P&O coaches use it but they didnt know either. I was just hoping that someone having done the transatlantic from Manchester could help.

Maybe they’re hanging back because they aren’t certain it’s going to happen but if it’s any use to you we’ve stayed at the Radisson blu in the airport no need to go outside if leaving from the coach/train station all easy walking distance 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevboy said:

I am not sure but I think they are a coach booking agency not a coach company likes Eavesway. I have never seen an intercruises coach before. Have you tried ringing intercruises directly and talking to one of their operators or sales team? They may know something.

• Like 1

We stayed in the prem inn southampton and the desk staff just ordered us a taxi for the moning of the cruise. Nice and easy. 

As for coach pickup for my mum when she went was from bristol bus station. 

Train to southampton nice and easy and plenty of cabs waiting outside

Sandypow does seem to have confirmed my thoughts.  In fact, if you have been offered a pick up from Manchester airport, there really is nowhere else on airport that coaches could possibly leave from, not is there anywhere adjacent to the airport.  The Radisson does sound quite handy, with the overhead walkway, though not a cheap one.  All other on airport hotels will have some sort of transport available, even the budget hotels would be able to tell you the price and regularity of a shared shuttle or individual taxi to the transport hub.  From memory, I think there is just one drop off point which is between the train station and coach station - it was also used for all airport drop offs for a few years after 9/11 as vehicles could not get any closer to any of the three terminals.

I would also be somewhat uncertain that the cruise will go ahead, so would want to make sure any hotel booking is refundable.  One other point, although we tend to use on airport hotels, we had been aware of some big traffic build ups outside the airport entrance at busy times in the last 2 - 3 years, (particularly the morning), because of a  new road being built and it was to take some years to complete. Not sure of the current situation, but on airport hotels would not be affected by that.

Edited by tring

Many thanks for your help on this topic. I think Sandypow has hit the nail on the head. Presumably the equivalent of a full plane load would be need about - about 10 coaches. The coach station is the only feasable option to facilitate this. Stupid me thought I might be the only one doing this this journey!

• Like 1