Bringing a bicycle on board Norwegian ships

Hello all, 

First time posting here. In August of next year I and a group of friends are planning to sail from Stockholm and hit a bunch of ports in northern Europe. my question is has anyone brought a FULL size bicycle onto the ship. Not a folding bike like a Brompton or a Tern. I do cycle touring and my  plan/hope is to fly into Stockholm with my bike and bring it on the ship and store in my room(I'm the only occupant) and then in Amsterdam continue on into Europe for a couple of months.  

Regards

Hello, so yeah I travel with a folding bicycle (a citizen Miami) whenever I sail on NCL. While not a full size bicycle, NCL's policy doesn't specify that the bicycle has to be folding. That being said, I've always wanted to bring my non folding gravel bike with me on one of these voyages.

I guess you're going to have something to report after your voyage.

That all being said, I'm usually using the stairs and not the elevator to move my bike from floor to floor, so try to get a room with easy access to the gangway. The elevators were just to crowded to accommodate a bicycle on port days.

I've only once seen a full size non-folding bicycle being used ashore. It as a mountain bike or possible a hybrid bike but it was also being used by crew.

That also being said, here is a photo of a guy with a fat tire mountain bike on NCL:

But as with everything else after CoVid that is now up in the air.

Stay well & Safe travels.

Edited by WYB!
  • Like 1

On our last cruise in 2020 someone just down the hall from us had a full size mountain bike that he brought on and off in each port. Seemed to be a ginormous pain in the butt to get around the ship as we were on deck 10 aft. He didn’t seem bothered by it though. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Seems renting one in Europe would be easier...JMHO. 

Thinking the same.  I can’t imagine trying to haul a full size bicycle onto the ship.  And, storing it in the cabin.  Cabin stewards are going to have to try and work around the bike.  Not sure if OP has cruised before, or what cabin they have.  But, a full size bike in a regular cabin is going to be a major hindrance inside the cabin.

On 5/7/2021 at 1:10 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Seems renting one in Europe would be easier...JMHO. 

This is definitely true if I was just vacationing for a small amount of time. but my bicycle is basically my home. At the time of the cruise I will have either ridden from France to Stockholm, or be disembarking in Amsterdam to ride south to Italy and beyond. so renting isn't quite feasible. I just want a way to avoid going back to Stockholm  to reacquire my bike. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 1:01 PM, WYB! said:

Hello, so yeah I travel with a folding bicycle (a citizen Miami) whenever I sail on NCL. While not a full size bicycle, NCL's policy doesn't specify that the bicycle has to be folding. That being said, I've always wanted to bring my non folding gravel bike with me on one of these voyages.

I guess you're going to have something to report after your voyage.

That all being said, I'm usually using the stairs and not the elevator to move my bike from floor to floor, so try to get a room with easy access to the gangway. The elevators were just to crowded to accommodate a bicycle on port days.

I've only once seen a full size non-folding bicycle being used ashore. It as a mountain bike or possible a hybrid bike but it was also being used by crew.

That also being said, here is a photo of a guy with a fat tire mountain bike on NCL:

But as with everything else after CoVid that is now up in the air.

Stay well & Safe travels.

Thanks for this info. It's definitely helpful. It isn't my plan to take the bike off the ship while in port, seeing as none of the others I will be cruising with are cyclers. It's mainly so that I can avoid going back to Stockholm in order to continue my travels.  

On 5/8/2021 at 7:51 AM, graphicguy said:

Thinking the same.  I can’t imagine trying to haul a full size bicycle onto the ship.  And, storing it in the cabin.  Cabin stewards are going to have to try and work around the bike.  Not sure if OP has cruised before, or what cabin they have.  But, a full size bike in a regular cabin is going to be a major hindrance inside the cabin.

I am going to do my best to mitigate the impact my bike will have on the stewards or anyone else while on the cruise, but like I've said in other replies, my bike is my main mode of travel. I basically live on it. The cruise is actually sort of an extravagance as it is with a bunch of friends for one of the couples 20th anniversary. 

I did a month-long bike/train/boat tour through Europe, and brought my bike onboard a river cruise ship in Hungary. They wanted me to leave it on the deck. I said I'd be happy to sleep on deck, but the bike was going in the cabin. That ended the conversation. It was a bit cramped – river boats seem to have tighter accomodations than ocean cruise ships – but workable. Sea-going ferries – Norway to Denmark and Denmark to Iceland – were even easier. Bikes are normal. On another trip, I brought a boxed bike on a Cunard transatlantic run. No problem.

In my experience, if bikes aren't banned then bringing one onboard is no more (or less) difficult than bringing it anywhere else – hotel, hostel, train, subway, bus.

Oh, if you don't plan on riding each time in port, then once you get to your cabin just take off the wheels and store the frame and wheels either in the closet or under the bed. Let your cabin steward know where it is.

But I'm also going to say that you'll want to ride in each port too.

So if you are traveling single, just let your cabin steward know and perhaps they can push the beds together and against the wall and then put the bike under the bed so it will be out of the way.

At first I kept my folding bike under the bed but then just left it under desk (with the handle bars folded down), but I used the bike in each port, (also going around the UK and northern Europe).

What ever you do, don't check your bike as luggage. The first time I brought the bike on a cruise, I did on disembarkation and when I got it back I needed to get the rear tire realigned.

Safe travels,

- WYB

Edited by WYB!

You're also going to have to navigate the bicycle on stairs, in elevators, in and out of security. I mean, if you're determined to do it, and NCL doesn't mind, I guess go for it.  But, it will be a pretty big hassle for you, and those who have to navigate around you and the bike while on board and during every disembarkation and embarkation at every port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

You're also going to have to navigate the bicycle on stairs, in elevators, in and out of security. I mean, if you're determined to do it, and NCL doesn't mind, I guess go for it.  But, it will be a pretty big hassle for you, and those who have to navigate around you and the bike while on board and during every disembarkation and embarkation at every port.

Completely ordinary when you're travelling with a bicycle. Taking a bike onboard a ship or on public transit, or navigating through a hotel is pretty painless. It's not going to cause any more distress to those around you than the stuff other people haul around. Like massive suitcases, scooters, luggage carts, shopping bags and (dare I say) children.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 8:15 AM, graphicguy said:

As I stated earlier in the thread, I dont plan to use the bike while in port. The people I'm traveling with are not cyclists. I want to bring it with me solely as a convenience so that I don't have to return to Stockhol or pay to have it shipped to Amsterdam. 

On 5/10/2021 at 12:19 AM, Trimone said:

I regularly take my jet sky on cruises, the crew strap it to the deck, and I service it on the balcony between ports.

Interesting comment. Not helpful though. Do you ride your jetski across countries? Continents? Does your jetski carry the vast majority of your personal belongings? Because that's what my bike does for me. It is the single largest physical investment I have to help me navigate the life I've chosen to live. It carrys me all over the world. It is my home. 

Is there a way you can arrange with NCL to store your bike somewhere on board for the duration of the cruise, then collect it when you disembark. My only other suggestion would be to carry the bike aboard in a bike box as luggage along with the various packs, bar bags, frame bags etc. and store it under your bed if possible. That has its drawbacks in that you would have to re-assemble your bike on disembarkation. I hope you manage to find a way because it sounds like a really good idea.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, True Trans Traveler said:

As I stated earlier in the thread, I dont plan to use the bike while in port. The people I'm traveling with are not cyclists. I want to bring it with me solely as a convenience so that I don't have to return to Stockhol or pay to have it shipped to Amsterdam. 

OK...so you're not going to use your bike while in port.  And, you're essentially asking the cruise line to ship it for you.  I don't know what the cruise line would charge for that?  Also, don't know if you've ever seen how they load and unload luggage upon embarkation or disembarkation, but I'm not sure I'd even trust something like a bike being handled by the luggage handlers.  That is, unless you package it in some sort of secure and padded container.

I suppose if you take off both wheels and carry it aboard (which you run into the same issues of getting it through security, through the halls, up/down stairs and elevators, among 3,000 other passengers), it's still going to be a huge hassle, particularly if you have to store it in your cabin.

In all honesty, I think I understand what you're trying to do.  You don't want to have your bike shipped to your destination, and you want the cruise line to do it for you, while you're a passenger with your bike.  

Regardless of your affinity towards your bicycle, I believe you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Again, call NCL and ask them what the procedure and/or charge is for getting your bicycle on and off the ship and storing it until you disembark. 

Still getting the mental picture of you with your bicycle in the chaos of embarkation day (in which your cabin is likely not to be ready and you have to carry the bike around with you while you wait), and the even greater chaos upon disembarkation (where you're either relying on the baggage handlers to put your bike in the huge mass of luggage of other passengers, or you're again tracking you and your bike through the throngs of other passengers disembarking).  

Ship it and save yourself and your fellow passengers loads of grief.

I've gone to the other extreme, not trying to carry every bit of "stuff" with me on a cruise.  I can fit everything I need in a roll aboard and a backpack.  My life is much easier traveling as a result.

On 5/9/2021 at 11:44 AM, True Trans Traveler said:

This is definitely true if I was just vacationing for a small amount of time. but my bicycle is basically my home. At the time of the cruise I will have either ridden from France to Stockholm, or be disembarking in Amsterdam to ride south to Italy and beyond. so renting isn't quite feasible. I just want a way to avoid going back to Stockholm  to reacquire my bike. 

You sound like you really enjoy it...which is a good thing.  I hope it works out fine for you to take your bike.  Sounds like an adventure.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

OK...so you're not going to use your bike while in port.  And, you're essentially asking the cruise line to ship it for you.  I don't know what the cruise line would charge for that?  Also, don't know if you've ever seen how they load and unload luggage upon embarkation or disembarkation, but I'm not sure I'd even trust something like a bike being handled by the luggage handlers.  That is, unless you package it in some sort of secure and padded container.

I suppose if you take off both wheels and carry it aboard (which you run into the same issues of getting it through security, through the halls, up/down stairs and elevators, among 3,000 other passengers), it's still going to be a huge hassle, particularly if you have to store it in your cabin.

In all honesty, I think I understand what you're trying to do.  You don't want to have your bike shipped to your destination, and you want the cruise line to do it for you, while you're a passenger with your bike.  

Regardless of your affinity towards your bicycle, I believe you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Again, call NCL and ask them what the procedure and/or charge is for getting your bicycle on and off the ship and storing it until you disembark. 

Still getting the mental picture of you with your bicycle in the chaos of embarkation day (in which your cabin is likely not to be ready and you have to carry the bike around with you while you wait), and the even greater chaos upon disembarkation (where you're either relying on the baggage handlers to put your bike in the huge mass of luggage of other passengers, or you're again tracking you and your bike through the throngs of other passengers disembarking).  

Ship it and save yourself and your fellow passengers loads of grief.

I've gone to the other extreme, not trying to carry every bit of "stuff" with me on a cruise.  I can fit everything I need in a roll aboard and a backpack.  My life is much easier traveling as a result.

So, as stated earlier in the thread, i have my stateroom to myself. the bike will be in my room with me. i can be one of the last to get on the ship and one of the last to disembark. i will have no connecting flights or other things to do after disembarkation. as for asking the cruise line to ship it for me, its a part of my luggage that goes in my room with me. do you consider them shipping your clothes? or toiletries? my bike isn't some toy I'm bringing along to keep me occupied. It's integral to my life. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BaWBarmy said:

Is there a way you can arrange with NCL to store your bike somewhere on board for the duration of the cruise, then collect it when you disembark. My only other suggestion would be to carry the bike aboard in a bike box as luggage along with the various packs, bar bags, frame bags etc. and store it under your bed if possible. That has its drawbacks in that you would have to re-assemble your bike on disembarkation. I hope you manage to find a way because it sounds like a really good idea.

Reassembly is easy. basically 10 minutes worth of work. i really just don't wanna spend like 10% or more  of my yearly operating costs on shipping it somewhere. 

• Like 1