CHOOSING A STATEROOM

sarellen8385

Is it just me, or does it seem like it is becoming more difficult to choose your own stateroom? We always choose something with a balcony--usually a plain verandah cabin, which is most common--and the options for sailings I am checking are simply guarantee. Having done that before and not been happy with the results, that really isn't an option.

I am just wondering if others are frustrated by this. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, sarellen8385 said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like it is becoming more difficult to choose your own stateroom? We always choose something with a balcony--usually a plain verandah cabin, which is most common--and the options for sailings I am checking are simply guarantee. Having done that before and not been happy with the results, that really isn't an option.

Guarantees come up automatically on the HAL website.  When you get to the stage on the HAL site where it says guarantee - then just click change your stateroom.  You will get the option to select your own stateroom and then choose as you go along (aft, mid, etc) and keep clicking next.

You will then see staterooms available and be able to choose them.

You can also plug in a stateroom you want to see if it available.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

So far so good.  We have had numerous balcony gty cabins.  They have all been good.  We like last minute bookings on one cruise line because the gty cabins are often based on a specific balcony cabin class or above.  This helps to reduce the risk.   

I would say that we have been  pleasantly surprised or very pleasantly surprised on every gty that we have ever had.  We are happy as long as floors above and below are cabins vs. public areas.

On the one occasion when we were not thrilled with our balcony gty assignment the cruise line allowed us to go back into the gty pool.  We subsequently  pulled out a much better location.  We did have to ask though.

Who knows post covid?  It could be very a very different experience.

Edited by iancal

7 hours ago, sarellen8385 said:

Thank you, Kazu, for that information.  I did not know that.  But generally I don't book directly with HAL. I suppose one could go through all the steps and then find out what's available.

Most helpful!

This is exactly how I find out what cabins are available before calling my PCC with my request. I know before she does which ones are available. 

• Like 1

Not to steal the thread, but here's an experience we just had.

We just tried to book a stateroom online for a March, 2023 cruise. The website acted as if most of the staterooms were booked and kept directing us to a less than desirable stateroom.  So, we contacted our PCC and got a very desirable stateroom. We also learned that we were the third couple to book that cruise.  PCC could not explain the behavior of the website. 

Also, in the past we've learned that some rooms are not necessarily available online but our PCC has access to them. So, while we thought we knew what staterooms were available, we didn't know about some.  In our experience, it is always good to check with a PCC. Plus, our PCC is quite personable, so fun to talk to.

When I book, I go through HAL.  I like to be mid ship or near.   If I am on the Navigation deck I do not want to be below the pool area as it can be noisy.   I myself like the Veranda or upper Veranda which would be deck 5 or 6. 

On 5/10/2021 at 1:58 PM, sarellen8385 said:

Yes, it has become more difficult than it was a few years ago.  Sometimes you can follow the prompts and the screen will show you 10 staterooms to choose from.  Sometimes I can’t get the sections feature to switch from aft to mid.  The website leads you to the cheapest guarantee staterooms and it’s very time consuming to move to other categories and sections of the ship.  Then, when I choose my stateroom, the prices go up.  Decide where you want to be on the ship and call HAL to see what is available, it’s much easier!

• Like 1

All of the above, but I would never go with a guarantee as I would without a doubt end up on the wrong side. 

Last cruise some friends went with a guarantee on a sold out cruise. On the Nieuw Statendam there are some verandas under the external stairs at the stern and the stairs have lights on all night. The got one. Also you are risking some of the service doors that open and close all night. Or at the elevator crossing where everyone is chatting it up coming up from the bar.