Spirit of Adventure - 10 August 2021 to Greenland/Iceland

B297

Does anybody have any information as to whether this cruise will take place as advertised?  Our only reason for booking is to go to Greenland but, as Greenland is currently on the UK Amber travel list this won't be allowed.  I've spoken to Saga a couple of times and get the standard answer, yes it's still on, but before we make the final payment (not an insubstantial amount) I'd like a little more comfort we're getting the full story.

I know the SOA's inaugural round UK cruise has been cancelled, which did surprise me as I can't see any COVID reason for that, so I'm more than a little sceptical this cruise will take place as advertised. 

51 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

Where did you get the information with regards to the cancellation of the Round UK Cruise?

Having just tried to find the news again on the web and failed, clearly it was in in my dreams 🙄

Although my partner clearly remembers us both talking about how Greenland was now the inaugural cruise.  We must have both had the same dream.  That's very disturbing 😀 

Spooky.....😱

It is hard to believe that the inaugural has been cancelled.

Hopefully your Greenland / Iceland one will be safe, although I took a cruise that was supposed to visit Greenland and fog stopped us visiting one port. We did get into Qaqortok but beware of the midges, the locals were all wearing nets over their faces.

Love Iceland.

I have seen speculation on another social media site about quarantine requirements for Greenland, which is causing some concern.  If visiting on a cruise ship, passengers must not have disembarked from the ship for the previous 14 days!  I hope this isn’t the case, but worth checking with Saga before paying the balance.

Don't understand why Greenland is on UK Amber list , they have had only ONE case since January. 

However understand why they would be very strict about letting people  in. Only hope is they follow EU and relax restrictions for fully vaccinated people. 

14 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Don't understand why Greenland is on UK Amber list , they have had only ONE case since January. 

However understand why they would be very strict about letting people  in. Only hope is they follow EU and relax restrictions for fully vaccinated people. 

Linked to Denmark I think.  Logical, no; Civil Service logic, yes.

Same way my electric car is classified a hybrid with the associated annual car taxes, whereas technically it's not.  But, as there only one or two models in the UK like it, I can't expect a set of rules to be made just for 2 models. 

15 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Latest update 10th May - link attached

https://visitgreenland.com/corona-faq/#cruisetrip

see section 5 of the FAQ.

This may well change before the cruise.

I still feel so sorry for those desperately trying to organise a cruise itinerary and playing "guess the changes".

Thanks for that link.  Not sure how it works if all passengers and crew (I assume) have been fully vaccinated.  But, as you say, all we can do is guess the changes until nearer the time.

Thanks for the replies.  With regard to final payment, I'm still waiting for my 2nd jab, so have no intention of paying anything until at least 2 weeks after that.  Hopefully by then some of the fog will have cleared.

I know I should have done this before, but instead of relying on the media I checked the Government's website on the rules on travel to Amber countries and they only say, "should" not travel and not "must" not travel.  In that case, there's no UK statutory reason to stop the cruise going from the UK to Greenland as long as we're prepared to do the necessary when we get back to the UK.  Having said that, if one is fully vaccinated, having to quarantine does seem to undermine the Government's stance on the effectiveness of the vaccines.

56 minutes ago, B297 said:

Thanks for the replies.  With regard to final payment, I'm still waiting for my 2nd jab, so have no intention of paying anything until at least 2 weeks after that.  Hopefully by then some of the fog will have cleared.

I know I should have done this before, but instead of relying on the media I checked the Government's website on the rules on travel to Amber countries and they only say, "should" not travel and not "must" not travel.  In that case, there's no UK statutory reason to stop the cruise going from the UK to Greenland as long as we're prepared to do the necessary when we get back to the UK.  Having said that, if one is fully vaccinated, having to quarantine does seem to undermine the Government's stance on the effectiveness of the vaccines.

Until I read so in last Sunday's Sunday Times travel supplement, I did not realise that there were two separate guidance systems in operation; one compiled by the Department of Transport, the other by the Foreign Office. According to the STimes these measure different aspects of risk. The traffic light system compiled by the DofT assesses the potential for importing high risk variants into the UK; the FO advice is concerned with an individuals risk in travelling to a particular destination, including access to healthcare. So whilst for example, the FO is no longer advising against all but essential travel to Malta, Malta remains on the DofTs amber list. Important distinction, as it is the FO advice whch is relevant to travel insurance cover.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1