Inside cabin choice

Twolittleboys

I am considering booking the 12 day Canary Isle Cruise on Queen Victoria in early December and am unsure whether to book a regular inside cabin or a deluxe inside. The regular ones seem pretty small (though it might be enough as I will travel solo). Also, the deluxe ones seem in a more stable location (am a bit worried about unstable seas). The price difference isn't huge (about $100) but would rather not spend it if it isn't worth it. 

Any input (also regarding other aspects of this cruise) welcome!

30 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

I am considering booking the 12 day Canary Isle Cruise on Queen Victoria in early December and am unsure whether to book a regular inside cabin or a deluxe inside. The regular ones seem pretty small (though it might be enough as I will travel solo). Also, the deluxe ones seem in a more stable location (am a bit worried about unstable seas). The price difference isn't huge (about $100) but would rather not spend it if it isn't worth it. 

Any input (also regarding other aspects of this cruise) welcome!

We always book the inside deluxe cabins because they're huge - photo of 1037 below when we travelled on the QV 78 night South America circumnavigation in early 2020. We're booked in a 'deluxe' for a 32-nighter next year on QE and the 2023 World Cruise. Important - book either GB or GC grade on deck one (not the GA's because they're not on deck one and I believe are 'normal' inside size.) Hope this helps.

IMG_3729.JPG

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi we have been on this cruise the last three years and we are booked in December also we have never encountered unstable seas we always book balcony though we like the daylight it’s a fabulous cruise and can’t wait to be back on board the fabulous QV.

Glad to hear that you have been on this cruise before and enjoyed it! I was rather worried about rough seas in December so good to hear that is not the case. If you have any further information about this specific cruise I would love to hear it!

8 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

We always book the inside deluxe cabins because they're huge - photo of 1037 below when we travelled on the QV 78 night South America circumnavigation in early 2020. We're booked in a 'deluxe' for a 32-nighter next year on QE and the 2023 World Cruise. Important - book either GB or GC grade on deck one (not the GA's because they're not on deck one and I believe are 'normal' inside size.) Hope this helps.

IMG_3729.JPG

It does look big - would you happen to know the difference between GB and GC? 

2 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

Glad to hear that you have been on this cruise before and enjoyed it! I was rather worried about rough seas in December so good to hear that is not the case. If you have any further information about this specific cruise I would love to hear it!

It does look big - would you happen to know the difference between GB and GC? 

Just location - GB's are more midships (and whilst cabin sizes are the same, the configuration of bed/wardrobes may differ by cabin).

Edited by Palmeat

Hi the  roughest seas we’ve encountered was on our QV cruise around the British isles in the Irish Sea and that was August 2019🥴

We prefer late sitting but it’s personal choice really one thing for sure you will be hooked on Cunard cruises they are fabulous and whichever cabin you choose you will have a great time 👍

10 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi the  roughest seas we’ve encountered was on our QV cruise around the British isles in the Irish Sea and that was August 2019🥴

We prefer late sitting but it’s personal choice really one thing for sure you will be hooked on Cunard cruises they are fabulous and whichever cabin you choose you will have a great time 👍

That's funny. We actually did a British Isles cruise in August 2019 as well (though not on Cunard) and the seas were a bit rough for my taste. That's why I was concerned about a December cruise out to the Canary Islands. But it sounds like there is no need to worry.

2 hours ago, Palmeat said:

IMG_3729.JPG

Ditto, I have had 1031 previously. You can’t beat the size!

We've had several of these on both QV and QE.

I'm fairly sure this was 1078 on QV. Just to show the alternate layout that @Palmeat mentioned. This was the original carpets, bedspreads, etc. Newer style in Palmeat's photo.

CD002.jpg

CD003.jpg

Edited by Colin_Cameron

What worries me is the ones on deck 1 what is below deck 1 and possible noise from there and those on deck 8 are below swimming pool and noise from swimming pool. We have had an inside cabin with swimming pool above in the past and we could hear water swishing about all night. Majority of those on deck 6 are wheelchair accessible so I wouldnt want one of those.

We sailed on the QE in 1068 - inside deluxe - its below the Queens Room and next to a service corridor - we heard absolutely nothing the whole trip. We've booked the one next door for 2 long cruises next year. The location is really handy - if you come out of the bottom of the theatre its a very short walk  "home".  

We ended up with it because I asked for the most stable cabin in the ship - the cruise turned out to be dead calm for 14 days - but  the couple of times there was slight movement which I could feel - say in the theatre - there was no movement in our room. 

One thing it lacks is under bed storage - I've seen people say that you can store bags under the bed - but ours was solid - with no drawers - the steward put the big bag behind the sofa. 

P1090001.JPG

P1090002.JPG

Edited by lissie

I went ahead and booked one of the inside deluxes. They really do look big! I also like the promise of a stable cabin in case seas should be rough (hopefully not). Less concerned about possible noise so I think deck 1 should be a good choice.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 1:58 PM, lissie said:

We sailed on the QE in 1068 - inside deluxe - its below the Queens Room and next to a service corridor - we heard absolutely nothing the whole trip. 

I agree. We've been below the Queen's Room a couple of times. On one occasion I thought I could hear the music. But the harder I listened the less sure I was. Never heard any sounds from below.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:58 PM, lissie said:

One thing it lacks is under bed storage - I've seen people say that you can store bags under the bed - but ours was solid - with no drawers - the steward put the big bag behind the sofa.

This should be a reminder to us all that any information we provide only represents our experiences. (Anyone who says "Cunard always ...", or "Cunard never ...", should be immediately ignored.)  

We've been in five of these deck 1 insides and, apart from QV's maiden voyage when there were no drawers in any cabin, they have all had a large drawer under the foot of each bed, with space for a bag or case under the top half. And I would have been happy to assure anyone that they were all the same.

CabinB.jpg

I would also have been happy to say that they all had large three-seater sofas (I know they only have two cushions, but they're three seats wide). And yet there's Lissies photo  of 1068 with a smaller two-seater sofa! From the deck 6 & 8 deluxe insides that I've looked into, I thought this was one of the differences. Deck 1's had a three-seater and decks 6 & 8, being that bit smaller, only had room for a two-seater. I wonder if it did have a larger one but it got damaged and was swapped out with whatever was available?

Edited by Colin_Cameron
spacing
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I would also have been happy to say that they all had large three-seater sofas (I know they only have two cushions, but they're three seats wide). And yet there's Lissies photo  of 1068 with a smaller two-seater sofa! From the deck 6 & 8 deluxe insides that I've looked into, I thought this was one of the differences. Deck 1's had a three-seater and decks 6 & 8, being that bit smaller, only had room for a two-seater. I wonder if it did have a larger one but it got damaged and was swapped out with whatever was available?

I suspect the longer couch is a sofa bed - which may have been needed elsewhere - we had a 2 seater plus a separate tub chair - which worked well for us 

A little off-topic, apologies, but slightly related.  We find the QE/QV deck 1 ocean view cabins on the other side of the corridor from the insides to be a good choice for short voyages.  PG is our sweet spot for longer trips, but when QE has been in Australia we've done several short weekend getaways in these deck 1 cabins,.  They are attractively priced relative to the balconies (although more than the insides), and as others have pointed out they are very convenient for the theater shows. 

4 hours ago, oskidunker said:

I thought they were not allowing bookings of inside cabins as crew was staying in them. Maybe not so.

We have the same inside cabin booked for 2 different sailings of QE in July and October 2022 - I think the not booking inside cabins is just either  an online myth or only applicable for the sailings this year with low customer numbers.  I've also got a "no upgrade" note on my bookings so  I'll be curious to know what hey will do with us in that situation if they really don't want to sell the inside cabins. 

Mind you if its all masks and social distancing still next year - we won't be going.