Where will Marina dock in Venice?

lorimay

Forgive the newbie question - we have never cruised in Italy before and I know Venice recently changed their cruise ship rules.

We are on the Marina docking in Venice on November 9. I was wondering where (best guess) Marina might be docking. Trying to figure out the hotel situation.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, lorimay said:

Forgive the newbie question - we have never cruised in Italy before and I know Venice recently changed their cruise ship rules.

We are on the Marina docking in Venice on November 9. I was wondering where (best guess) Marina might be docking. Trying to figure out the hotel situation.

Thank you!

Google Venice port authority and check schedule.

• Like 1

Thanks for adding the CNN travel story. I fully understand the Venetians and their dislike at a minimum for seeing the mega ships sail into the Guidecca Canal. It is really cool to do it on a R or O class ship however. That said, I would have no problem perhaps doing an overnight port call in Ravenna or Trieste, with day or overnight excursions to Venice so it isn’t missed. Too special to miss.
Of course Italian government decision making isn’t going to solve the dock issue anytime soon so maybe more cruise lines need to provide some “solution” motivation with port calls elsewhere for the foreseeable future. We could then take bets on the Italian definition of  “temporary”. 
ciao

I have grave reservations about the relocation of cruise ships from Venice - and what this means to tourism in Venice itself.  Venice was a turnaround port, and I can guarantee that the hotel and restaurant owners do NOT hate cruise ships.  Because it's a turnaround, cruise pax come in beforehand, spend money on their hotel and in the restaurants, then sail out.  What a majority of Venetians hate are the day-trippers from the mainland that train in with sandwiches in their backpacks, making coffee with a spirit lamp on the steps of a church, swamp the fondamenta and spend no money.  They are viewed as parasites.  

There are a large number of cruisers that will NOT venture to the Venetian lagoon before or after their ship leaves Mestre or where ever they finally decide to shunt the ships.  That will be a huge loss for the "Merchants of Venice".

We are sailing this October from Venice, and are spending a week beforehand there.  I have confidence that we will be able to find our way to wherever the ship is, but I think we will be in the minority.

I hope that when the relocation comes to pass, the Venice city fathers will work directly with the cruiselines to make the trek to the ship or the trek from the ship to the hotel as painless as can be.

23 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:
I have grave reservations about the relocation of cruise ships from Venice - and what this means to tourism in Venice itself.  Venice was a turnaround port, and I can guarantee that the hotel and restaurant owners do NOT hate cruise ships.  Because it's a turnaround, cruise pax come in beforehand, spend money on their hotel and in the restaurants, then sail out. 

Do not think it is the pax themselves  but the wake from the ships causing damage to the building   as they traverse the canal to/from the docks

JMO

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 1:21 PM, Kate-AHF said:
I have grave reservations about the relocation of cruise ships from Venice - and what this means to tourism in Venice itself.  Venice was a turnaround port, and I can guarantee that the hotel and restaurant owners do NOT hate cruise ships.  Because it's a turnaround, cruise pax come in beforehand, spend money on their hotel and in the restaurants, then sail out.  What a majority of Venetians hate are the day-trippers from the mainland that train in with sandwiches in their backpacks, making coffee with a spirit lamp on the steps of a church, swamp the fondamenta and spend no money.  They are viewed as parasites.  

There are a large number of cruisers that will NOT venture to the Venetian lagoon before or after their ship leaves Mestre or where ever they finally decide to shunt the ships.  That will be a huge loss for the "Merchants of Venice".

We are sailing this October from Venice, and are spending a week beforehand there.  I have confidence that we will be able to find our way to wherever the ship is, but I think we will be in the minority.

I hope that when the relocation comes to pass, the Venice city fathers will work directly with the cruiselines to make the trek to the ship or the trek from the ship to the hotel as painless as can be.

Not all cruise ships use Venice as a turnaround port, and as already mentioned above, it is not just the tourists from cruise ships but the ships themselves that are part of the issue. That said, the local government commissioned a survey a few years back and the amount of $$ spent by cruise passengers as a category was significantly lower than non-cruise passengers.

As to Venetian merchants -- well, let's just say most of them are not "Venetians" at all.  

• Like 2

When I last sailed from Venice, I was on an “R” ship (although one owned by Azamara) that sailed from San Basilio. Our departure was delayed and substantially impinged by a protest all along the Guidecca with dozens of small boats impeding passage and hundreds of protestors on both the small boats and along the shoreline with a lot of noise and large signage. It made for very memorable sail away.

Edited by CintiPam

• 3 months later...

I. We were scheduled to embarq in Venice and then because of the rules change we will now board the ship in Trieste italy. This is about 105 miles from Venice. We will be flying into the Marco Polo airport and spending the night in Venice anyway. Oceania will provide coach service to Trieste for us so I would assume they will transport you to the Marco Polo airport from Trieste.

• 1 month later...