Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

1 hour ago, little britain said:

So it would be $1.40 for the Baileys? 
Or is it $1 + 20% and then VAT on the $1.20?

Not trying to be clever or too pedantic but, based on what was quoted earlier by someone on board, the prices on the ship  include VAT. As does your limit. 

Hence the $10 drink will be shown as $12 on the price list and your limit will be $10.80. The difference payable will be $1.20 (including VAT). I assume that the 20% tip is added to this.

Edited by Wichenford Wolf
Added %age

1 hour ago, talljules1 said:

We've had one of these corner sky suites before - they're great. You should expect some soot on the balcony from the smoke stacks.  The room attendant should keep it clean - but sometimes it accumulates fast. 

Not a deal breaker for us (we don't spend much time on the balcony) but something to be aware of.

Soot and white furniture?!

Still, I suppose it must make it more apparent for the room attendant to be able to clean it off - method and madness, perhaps 🤔?

I can’t wait for the whole ‘suite’ experience to be honest, even if I may end up looking like a chimney sweep🤣.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wichenford Wolf said:

Not trying to be clever or too pedantic but, based on what was quoted earlier by someone on board, the prices on the ship  include VAT. As does your limit. 

Hence the $10 drink will be shown as $12 on the price list and your limit will be $10.80. The difference payable will be $1.20 (including VAT). I assume that the 20% tip is added to this.

From my understanding VAT is part of the drinks package or which ever package you've purchased, pricing onboard is package prices (normal pricing you would see around the world for celebrity they haven't changed that part) so anything outside of the package amount would be due VAT liable.  You would need a picutre of the bar menu's to be clear.  If someone has a picture of the bar menu that would clear it up.  One with the VAT section at the bottom. 

Just popped to local ASDA for petrol and a EUROFINS Portacabin was being set up in the car park. When I enquired about testing was advised it was invitation only Cruise passengers. Hopefully this is one of many being set up across the UK and passengers will not have to travel too far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spearj said:

Soot and white furniture?!

Still, I suppose it must make it more apparent for the room attendant to be able to clean it off - method and madness, perhaps 🤔?

I can’t wait for the whole ‘suite’ experience to be honest, even if I may end up looking like a chimney sweep🤣.

We are in a corner S1 and have not noticed any soot so far. We only had one reclining chair so requested another (plus stool). It’s a little tighter but worth having one each

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Definitas said:

We are in a corner S1 and have not noticed any soot so far. We only had one reclining chair so requested another (plus stool). It’s a little tighter but worth having one each

Good call -  I’ll definitely try and do that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulB123 said:

From my understanding VAT is part of the drinks package or which ever package you've purchased, pricing onboard is package prices (normal pricing you would see around the world for celebrity they haven't changed that part) so anything outside of the package amount would be due VAT liable.  You would need a picutre of the bar menu's to be clear.  If someone has a picture of the bar menu that would clear it up.  One with the VAT section at the bottom. 

My point was based on post #661 where the onboard poster said that he could order up to $18 on the premium package, which appears to be the normal limit of $15 plus VAT. As you say, the bar menu may still say the standard price with a caveat about tax in the small print.

I'm trying to explain they haven't changed the pricing on the drinks menu they normally don't include VAT because the ship normally stops at 1 non UK port so they don't need to include VAT.  They have added the bit of information at the bottom which say UK VAT will be added where applicable.  As you pay the VAT on the package and you are not paying for the drinks because they are part of your package the price will not include VAT.  So if you go outside your package you pay VAT on the part outside your package.  I surpose adding in that when you buy a drink in your package it rings up a 0.00 amount on your bill.

Edited by PaulB123

Just popped to local ASDA for petrol and a EUROFINS Portacabin was being set up in the car park. When I enquired about testing was advised it was invitation only Cruise passengers. Hopefully this is one of many being set up across the UK and passengers will not have to travel too far. 

Would be really good to know where in the Uk this Asda was ?

Many thanks
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, hampshirelad said:

Would be really good to know where in the Uk this Asda was ?

Many thanks

Sorry. Cheltenham in Gloucestershire. 

22 hours ago, baljaffray said:

I am sailing on 28th Aug with my 82 year old Mum. Though the basic drink package is included, it's such a waste as she only drinks tea, and an occasional Baileys/or equivalent! (Aldi's version is good she says!)  I have learnt that Baileys is not included and that is only premium. Is there a non branded version available? Or how much is it as I know I can pay the difference. 

Can’t you just take a couple of bottles on board? Even disguised as medication!!

2 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Can’t you just take a couple of bottles on board? Even disguised as medication!!

Nooooo!  Not a good idea.

You can take a couple of bottles of wine on board no problem (per stateroom) - and are only charged corkage if you drink it in the dining room.   But they do screen baggage and if you are caught sneaking items on board that are not allowed you at best face having to go to the sin bin to have it removed and confiscated, and at worst could face being removed from the ship.  Not worth it.

42 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

😆 even one bottle will last the week. I will be having G&T so no problem to pay a bit more for her 4/5 Baileys for the week. She is one customer who does not benefit from all inclusive.

2 minutes ago, baljaffray said:

😆 even one bottle will last the week. I will be having G&T so no problem to pay a bit more for her 4/5 Baileys for the week. She is one customer who does not benefit from all inclusive.

Make sure she looks at the cafe el bachio menu...They have lots of coffee/ hot chocolate options that may appeal to your Mum if she likes Baileys. Some have alcohol and others don’t. Also some nice tea options. The beverage package isn’t all about the alcohol options.

One of the nice things about a drinks package is you can just try a drink and leave it if you don’t enjoy or order a drink and just enjoy a few sips...Your Mum may enjoy her package more than you expect...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Make sure she looks at the cafe el bachio menu...They have lots of coffee/ hot chocolate options that may appeal to your Mum if she likes Baileys. Some have alcohol and others don’t. Also some nice tea options. The beverage package isn’t all about the alcohol options.

One of the nice things about a drinks package is you can just try a drink and leave it if you don’t enjoy or order a drink and just enjoy a few sips...Your Mum may enjoy her package more than you expect...

Best advice ever!!!

10 hours ago, talljules1 said:

Nooooo!  Not a good idea.

You can take a couple of bottles of wine on board no problem (per stateroom) - and are only charged corkage if you drink it in the dining room.   But they do screen baggage and if you are caught sneaking items on board that are not allowed you at best face having to go to the sin bin to have it removed and confiscated, and at worst could face being removed from the ship.  Not worth it.

I guess the days of using Rum Runners are over.... 

I remember them well from the early days before all inclusive.... 

Now the price is increased to pay for the booze!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, baljaffray said:

Unfortunately there are lots of people who are now paying way over the odds due to the all inclusive pricing. Solo passengers are paying for 2 drinks packages and 2 Internet packages (yes there are a few cruises with no single supplements but not many). Also Elite + who cannot/don't drink alcohol - our lattes/speciality teas, water soft drinks and Internet used to be free. Regrettably unless Celebrity revert to the old system where you could choose to buy a drinks and/ or Internet package then our next 2 Celebrity cruises will be our last.