You NCL cruisers out there…stop planning cruises

20 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Y'all can keep going in circles all you want.  My personal experience is that last Spring, NCL cancelled a cruise that I had both paid deposit and paid final balance more than 60 days prior.  NCL further told me that if I elected a refund, it would take them something like 6 - 8 weeks to process it.  I called my credit card company and they told me I was entitled to immediate compensation since the merchant had cancelled the service I paid for.  They had the money back in my account within two weeks and after that it was between the credit card company and NCL.  Maybe some of you need to find more legitimate credit card providers.

Now now... that isn’t what we are talking about. We are talking about what happens if the cruise line goes “belly up” (your words not mine). You believe you are protected - I respectfully disagree and believe that most credit card companies have initiated policies specific to not covering. Bankruptcy. We can just add this to the list of things we disagree about lol.  Hopefully we will never have to find out. 

PS- I also went through my credit card company and received a full refund for a MSC cruise that was cancelled last April. Most financially knowledgeable people used that course of action rather than wait on the cruise line. 

37 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You believe you are protected - I respectfully disagree and believe that most credit card companies have initiated policies specific to not covering. Bankruptcy.

This isn't driven by credit card company policies.  It's driven by US consumer protection laws.  Do the credit card companies try to educate us on this?  Heck no!!  That would be bad business.  Until somebody actually calls their credit card company, requests to dispute such a charge and are refused; then your position isn't valid.  I don't believe that bankruptcy has any affect on this.  The credit card companies choose who to deal with on both ends.

25 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

This isn't driven by credit card company policies.  It's driven by US consumer protection laws.  Do the credit card companies try to educate us on this?  Heck no!!  That would be bad business.  Until somebody actually calls their credit card company, requests to dispute such a charge and are refused; then your position isn't valid.  I don't believe that bankruptcy has any affect on this.  The credit card companies choose who to deal with on both ends.

I suppose that works two ways. Until a cruise company actually goes bankrupt and credit card actually refunds your money (even though bankruptcy is specifically not covered),  then your claim that we are all “guaranteed” (your words not mine) to get our money back isn’t valid.

let’s hope neither one of us are proven right. 

I’ll end with a simple disclaimer: Buyer beware, before giving any cruise line new cash, it’s probably wise to know how you would reclaim the money in the case of bankruptcy.

here is what the law says I have no doubt that my deposit will be refunded it is chump change usually less than 500 bucks the full payment would  fall under the 60 day  window.

Credit card purchases are protected under the federal Fair Credit Billing Act, which grants consumers the right to dispute a charge when service is not provided. Generally you have about 60 days to file a complaint. “Customers making payment for travel that does not — or will not — take place because the supplier has ceased operating should immediately dispute the charge,” Richter says. Even if the customer has already paid the charge, or if the 60-day period has passed, it is still advisable to request a credit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fredflint said:

here is what the law says I have no doubt that my deposit will be refunded it is chump change usually less than 500 bucks the full payment would  fall under the 60 day  window.

Credit card purchases are protected under the federal Fair Credit Billing Act, which grants consumers the right to dispute a charge when service is not provided. Generally you have about 60 days to file a complaint. “Customers making payment for travel that does not — or will not — take place because the supplier has ceased operating should immediately dispute the charge,” Richter says. Even if the customer has already paid the charge, or if the 60-day period has passed, it is still advisable to request a credit.

I quoted this law this earlier. I also supplied a reference where a cc card refused to refund because money was paid outside the 60 day window. 60 days is the sticking point.

Why would your final payment fall within the 60 day window? Isn’t final payment due long before 60 days?? Some cruise lines want final payment 120 days in advance.

19 hours ago, Gen X Life said:

Excuse me OP.. BUT

Canada has  less than 2 million fully Vaccinated people 

USA has 133 million people fully vaccinated; and we have now approval to administer to children and we are starting/already in process.

I am so sick of Canada, and their self righteous pseudo superior Prime Minister  looking and speaking down their nose at the United States and it's citizens:

With all due respect:

Sir;  you and your country should get your own vaccination implementation organized and expedited , stop BEGGING the United States for our extra ( and yes actually your Government HAS! ) and worry about the ramifications to your health, economy and diplomacy when casting your vote in the next election.  

( Maybe YOUR news is the state sponsored propaganda! Maybe you like keeping/voting a Guy that dances around in Black face and chases little girls.. see Americans know too, but it is not our business and we are polite enough to keep our mouths shut and laugh behind your back!! )

Americans (USA not North Americans) Never bother to stick their nose in Canada's business - Why do Canadians always feel they are entitled to an opinion in USA business!! Newsflash your not - BUTT OUT! OR PAY TAXES!

Clean up your own back yard before sticking your nose over the fence and telling your neighbor what to do with their's!!

Mic Drop.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Gen X Life said:

Excuse me OP.. BUT

Canada has  less than 2 million fully Vaccinated people 

USA has 133 million people fully vaccinated; and we have now approval to administer to children and we are starting/already in process.

I am so sick of Canada, and their self righteous pseudo superior Prime Minister  looking and speaking down their nose at the United States and it's citizens:

With all due respect:

Sir;  you and your country should get your own vaccination implementation organized and expedited , stop BEGGING the United States for our extra ( and yes actually your Government HAS! ) and worry about the ramifications to your health, economy and diplomacy when casting your vote in the next election.  

( Maybe YOUR news is the state sponsored propaganda! Maybe you like keeping/voting a Guy that dances around in Black face and chases little girls.. see Americans know too, but it is not our business and we are polite enough to keep our mouths shut and laugh behind your back!! )

Americans (USA not North Americans) Never bother to stick their nose in Canada's business - Why do Canadians always feel they are entitled to an opinion in USA business!! Newsflash your not - BUTT OUT! OR PAY TAXES!

Clean up your own back yard before sticking your nose over the fence and telling your neighbor what to do with their's!!

We started vaccinating 12 year olds weeks ago here and now we are pretty much at the stage where those are the people mostly going to the clinics right now. If you want to rest on your laurels among a less amount of fully vaccinated people vs. a larger amount of partially vaccinated, that’s fine, but you guys have hit a wall on your overall totals because of the huge anti-vaccine population and just general apathy.

We are going to be fully vaccinated here very very soon and I would much rather live safely among a population with low COVID circulating and partially vaccinated than only a handful of people fully. Our COVID rates per capita are dropping fast and let’s see where you guys are two weeks after this Memorial Day with all your “no vaccinated” people travelling. Hope your news covers what’s happening in the UK because it’s not good and their cases are rising.

PS Plus: Partially vs fully really doesn’t matter anyway in the big picture because we’re probably all going to need third shots for the winter until the next generation of vaccines are approved anyway. So if you’re only looking at this as a two-dose deal you’re not looking at it longer-term. It’s really probably going to be four total doses once you factor in another booster of this vaccine generation and then maybe one final shot next year with newer, better vaccines. 

So, I hope you Enjoy the rest of your summer after the explosion of Memorial Day cases in two weeks. the hospitals will be jammed with people on oxygen again, unfortunately. And there will be no cruises…thanks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marktwothousand said:

We started vaccinating 12 year olds weeks ago here and now we are pretty much at the stage where those are the people mostly going to the clinics right now. If you want to rest on your laurels among a less amount of fully vaccinated people vs. a larger amount of partially vaccinated, that’s fine, but you guys have hit a wall on your overall totals because of the huge anti-vaccine population and just general apathy.

We are going to be fully vaccinated here very very soon and I would much rather live safely among a population with low COVID circulating and partially vaccinated than only a handful of people fully. Our COVID rates per capita are dropping fast and let’s see where you guys are two weeks after this Memorial Day with all your “no vaccinated” people travelling. Hope your news covers what’s happening in the UK because it’s not good and their cases are rising.

PS Plus: Partially vs fully really doesn’t matter anyway in the big picture because we’re probably all going to need third shots for the winter until the next generation of vaccines are approved anyway. So if you’re only looking at this as a two-dose deal you’re not looking at it longer-term. It’s really probably going to be four total doses once you factor in another booster of this vaccine generation and then maybe one final shot next year with newer, better vaccines. 

So, I hope you Enjoy the rest of your summer after the explosion of Memorial Day cases in two weeks. the hospitals will be jammed with people on oxygen again, unfortunately. And there will be no cruises…thanks.  

Double Mic Drop

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m trying to wrap my mind around having the audacity to criticize a country about vaccination, when the country you’re criticizing is the country that is home to all three vaccine companies (J&J, Moderna, Pfizer). Some of those vaccines were rushed out using U.S. taxpayer dollars through Operation Warp Speed. Then, to take it a step further, criticize people as it relates to cruising from U.S. ports, all while sitting in a country that has had nothing to do with either. If Canada is so great, they’re welcome to develop their own vaccine and entice cruise lines to headquarter there. Until then, a little self awareness would go a long way. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Murph269 said:

I’m trying to wrap my mind around having the audacity to criticize a country about vaccination, when the country you’re criticizing is the country that is home to all three vaccine companies (J&J, Moderna, Pfizer). Some of those vaccines were rushed out using U.S. taxpayer dollars through Operation Warp Speed. Then, to take it a step further, criticize people as it relates to cruising from U.S. ports, all while sitting in a country that has had nothing to do with either. If Canada is so great, they’re welcome to develop their own vaccine and entice cruise lines to headquarter there. Until then, a little self awareness would go a long way. 

The Pfizer vaccine is only possible with the partnership of BioNTech...a very German Company.  I am an American that lives 4.5miles from the BioNTech headquarters.   Audacity indeed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WarfRatWA said:

The Pfizer vaccine is only possible with the partnership of BioNTech...a very German Company.  I am an American that lives 4.5miles from the BioNTech headquarters.   Audacity indeed.

Regardless, you could say the same (Bio N Tech developed vaccine is only possible with the partnership of Pfizer, a very American company). Small world, I’m an American who lives about 10 miles from where the Pfizer vaccine is made. The other two vaccines, Moderna and J&J, are American made/developed, and were brought to market with the help of U.S. taxpayer dollars. What was Canada’s role in all of this?

Edited by Murph269
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Murph269 said:

Regardless, you could say the same (Bio N Tech developed vaccine is only possible with the partnership of Pfizer, a very American company). Small world, I’m an American who lives about 10 miles from where the Pfizer vaccine is made. The other two vaccines, Moderna and J&J, are American made/developed, and were brought to market with the help of U.S. taxpayer dollars. What was Canada’s roll in all of this?

"What was Canada’s roll in all of this?"

Who cares...its a pandemic.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WarfRatWA said:

There is no mic drop...not even close.

19,230,680 people in Canada have received their 1st vaccination.  That is 50.60% of the population of the country.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/vaccination-coverage/

I’m not sure what your point is considering over 50% of the United States has received their first vaccination. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WarfRatWA said:

"What was Canada’s roll in all of this?"

Who cares...its a pandemic.

Just poking a little fun at the OP (a Canadian) who started the thread criticizing Americans.

Edited by Murph269
  • Like 1

I fail to see how pitting Canada vs the US on this thread is going to a) get cruising restarted any sooner and b) foster goodwill between the two countries. Can we just stop with the finger pointing and oneupsmanship? Please. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I fail to see how pitting Canada vs the US on this thread is going to a) get cruising restarted any sooner and b) foster goodwill between the two countries. Can we just stop with the finger pointing and oneupsmanship? Please. 

Agreed, and noted. I got a little carried away previously. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well, if people took the OP's advice and stopped booking NCL cruises, it might actually interfere with getting cruising restarted.  We sure don't want that, right?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Well, if people took the OP's advice and stopped booking NCL cruises, it might actually interfere with getting cruising restarted.  We sure don't want that, right?

Absolutely not, we don’t want that. We just booked onto the Norwegian Sky, and if NCL’s website is to be believed, the Balcony and Suite cabins are already sold out. (For our sailing, that is) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Absolutely not, we don’t want that. We just booked onto the Norwegian Sky, and if NCL’s website is to be believed, the Balcony and Suite cabins are already sold out. (For our sailing, that is) 

Yep.  A few of the cruises I've booked recently have shown the Sailaway fares sold out.  I'm still expecting a stampede sometime soon when all the fence sitters join the believers.  I'm just glad I've been able to book everything I want through mid-2024 with all the great promos and triple points.  I see several threads claiming that prices have already gone way up, but that hasn't really been what I've seen on the itineraries we're interested in.  As always, everybody's mileage may vary.

2 hours ago, Murph269 said:

It's the Canadian Way.. must be the cold

• Like 1