Refundable deposit cost differences How is this figured?

amypet

Hi guys, We were booked on a Celebrity June 13, 2022 --11 night Italy, Turkey & Greek Islands, but moved it over to the July 4 sailing. Same Itinerary..

The June 13 sailing is like $50.more, but the cost of the refundable deposit was only $28. For the July 4 sailing of the same cruise, they're charging $307 for a refundable deposit. Does anyone know how this is figured? Its a $279 difference and I'm not pleased about paying it.

I cannot answer your question, but the difference is not consistent, so I doubt that it is a definitive calculation.  The difference has grown significantly on the cruise that I review.

Obviously you can book the non refundable deposit and risk the $100 a person with the rest in FCC.  I did for my last booking.

• Like 1

No rhythm or reason that we have figured out.  Just booked a cruise where the refundable deposit was $220 more.  Well if I cancel I lose $200 and get a $20 FCC, other times the difference has been as much as $1000. 

• Like 1

wrk2cruise Wow. Thats astounding. How can the protection cost more than the original $$$ outlay? Ive been committed to Celebrity, but I feel this is something we should contact them about. Can you tell me what sailing you saw this on so I can reference it?

Edited by amypet

On 6/1/2021 at 11:19 AM, amypet said:

wrk2cruise Wow. Thats astounding. How can the protection cost more than the original $$$ outlay? Ive been committed to Celebrity, but I feel this is something we should contact them about. Can you tell me what sailing you saw this on so I can reference it?

Actually non refundable in Celebrity terms means $100 per person and the remainder in a FCC for another cruise.  It is almost like a “change fee”.  I view it has only risking $100 a person.

I have always been surprised about the cruise companies refundable deposit policies as well as car rental no deposit policies.

It is clear to me that Celebrity is purposely pushing people to non refundable deposits.  I think it is a good business decision.  I hope that it reduces the number of multiple cruises booked during the same time frame  - “just in case”.  Celebrity even allows you to have more than one booking on an individual cruise.  Crazy way to run a business IMO.

• Like 1