The Daily for Tuesday Jun 01, 2021

richwmn

Thanks for all the daily reports and photos.

We have been to Honolulu three  times during Trans Pacific Cruises, on the Volendam.

We have another sunny day, better news re the Ashburton bridge, it was open for light vehicles for 13 hours overnight, closed again at 10 am for stress testing.  An inland route has been cleared, which has some one lane bridges, so access is improving.  There have been some deliveries to supermarkets south of Ashburton.   

Yesterday at the supermarket we were able to buy the  items we needed.

Roy, @rafinmd thanks for posting the map of the affected area yesterday.

Will be roasting a leg of Lamb for dinner this evening,

Take care every one.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 16

I realized tonight that we flew into Seattle 2 years ago today for our Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam. Little did we know that would be our last cruise. After 3 canceled cruises in 2020 I have high hopes for our Holiday cruise. 

Have a great evening!

E1497A3F-8F91-4EB5-BBC7-81C89EF331DD.thumb.jpeg.f4ec27a90034be7a676a41a2001dde56.jpeg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Happy to say no skunk here. And NO, I do not want one. 

Your coyote appears to be singing!

Howling a warning to our son’s dog.   We think she may have had pups nearby.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

I'll swap you the bear (he can join the local ursine gang here) if you will take my Mountain Lion. I am much more afraid of him that the bears. Guess it is what you get use to.

Susan

Agree about the cougar aka mountain lion,  they will hunt you!    Although we’ve had two people killed in our province in the last few  weeks by grizzlies! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We’ve had our share of mountain lion problems in our area. About 6 years ago we had one prowling around town. We are suburban, not rural. Word was Fish and Game had released 2 males in the local hills. ( They really ought not do that IMO).

No that far away ( but not our neighborhood) there was one who visited a market in the middle of the night. Understand this market is several miles into the city. LA has had a few break into occupied homes, and Agoura had one climb a tree in a residential area around Thanksgiving. 😲

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good evening everyone. We don’t say ‘Rabbit’ on the first of the month. It is a race to see who says ‘A pinch and a punch, for the first of the month, and no returns’. Accompanied by appropriate gestures! No idea why, but DH and I try to be the winner each month. I won this month, as he thought I was asleep just after midnight, but I was only pretending, and got in first a few minutes later! Thanks for all the pictures of Honolulu. I can’t find mine and had actually forgotten a lot of the places we visited, so the photos brought back some great memories. We spent three days in Honolulu a few years back before embarking on the Pride of America for the round Hawaii cruise. We also had an overnight there on the Seattle to Sydney cruise on the Maasdam. During the first visit we did the Circle tour of the island, Pearl Harbour, climbed Diamond Head and had our first shaved ice. We loved swimming at Waikiki and it was everything we had imagined Hawaii to be. The second visit we found the number of homeless people living on the streets to be quite distressing. 
The NCL cruise was a disappointment after having sailed exclusively on Holland America, but we did get to see the other islands. Also the flight from Sydney to Honolulu was very tedious and the return flight was even worse. The crowds at Honolulu airport were dreadful. Arriving and departing by ship is the best way to go! Winter started on June 1, and it has been extremely cold, for us anyway. 9 degrees C yesterday morning! 
Thanks to all who contribute to the Daily. Stay safe.

• Like 8