COVID test for reentry into the United States

Rob-Bob

We are from the U.S. and are traveling to Greece for the 7/25 Greek Isle cruise on the NCL Jade.  It looks like we need a negative COVID test to fly into Greece and fly back to the U.S. within 24 or 72 hours (confusing) depending on the test.  We are trying to figure out how to get the test on our return when we are on the cruise, get off and head to the airport.  NCL has no answers except "contact the airlines".  The airlines have no clue what the requirements are.  We are very concerned.    w e are fully vaccinated.

Does anyone have these answers or any suggestions on logistics and requirements?  Thanks.

I did a quick search on Google for Greece: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-greece#vax

I'm sure you'll want more info,  you might find it here or on another site. 

Travel Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated Travelers

If you are fully vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccine or a vaccine authorized by emergency use by the World Health Organization:

• You do NOT have to get tested before leaving the United States, unless your destination requires it.  
  • You do NOT have to self-quarantine after you arrive in the United States.

40 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

We are from the U.S. and are traveling to Greece for the 7/25 Greek Isle cruise on the NCL Jade.  It looks like we need a negative COVID test to fly into Greece and fly back to the U.S. within 24 or 72 hours (confusing) depending on the test.  We are trying to figure out how to get the test on our return when we are on the cruise, get off and head to the airport.  NCL has no answers except "contact the airlines".  The airlines have no clue what the requirements are.  We are very concerned.    w e are fully vaccinated.

Does anyone have these answers or any suggestions on logistics and requirements?  Thanks.

If you scroll back a couple days this is covered with further info. 

1 hour ago, Rob-Bob said:

You need a COVID-19 negative test to re-enter the US. NCL will be providing the test. Check out the FAQs for sailing. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

“Will you offer testing onboard to meet travel requirements for guests flying back to countries that require negative COVID-19 test results to re-enter the country post cruise? 

Yes, COVID-19 antigen tests prior to disembarkation will be administered onboard to all guests and paid for by the cruise line.”

I am not sure about the different tests but I was on-line chatting with a NCL person and they said that NCL was not offering PCR tests which are required for re-entering the U.S.  I asked what I need to do and their reply was I needed to stay at the city of disembarkation until I get the test.  

Getting conflicting answers and starting to get nervous.  To be denied boarding on return flight would be disastrous.

Test results for molecular (PCR) test will be delivered to you, by email, within approximately 24 hours. Response time varies according to sampling time or volume of tests.

This is on the Athens airport website.  If we arrive day of flight how does this help?  We will have no more than 4-5 hours from the time we get off the ship.  The ship will not offer the PCR test.

The good news is we will not be the first ones to go so we will see what the earlier travelers experience.

24 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

I am not sure about the different tests but I was on-line chatting with a NCL person and they said that NCL was not offering PCR tests which are required for re-entering the U.S.  I asked what I need to do and their reply was I needed to stay at the city of disembarkation until I get the test.  

Getting conflicting answers and starting to get nervous.  To be denied boarding on return flight would be disastrous.

When in doubt, go by what's written down, not what some anonymous NCL person says. If NCL's website says they'll cover the test, believe that. And print it out and bring it with you, just to be sure.

Hello,

I'll be on the 8/8 Greek Isles NCL sailing, so I've also been researching the topic of covid tests for re-entry to the U.S. 

I called NCL last week, and I was told that all passengers WILL receive a free covid test prior to disembarkation, and that test would allow passengers to fly home to their respective countries upon disembarkation. 

Since the U.S. requires a viral test  (rather than an antigen test ) within 3 calendar days in order to board a flight for the U.S., I was told that NCL would provide a viral test to U.S. passengers prior to disembarkation.  I could not, however, get any details on WHEN that test would be given on board (2 days prior? 1 day?) or any other details from NCL.  I was told that the "situation was fluid" and that NCL staff were still working out these details. 

Here are some helpful links to covid-related resources:

U.S. Embassy in Greece

U.S. State Dept. - testing requirement for reentry

C.D.C. - testing requirement for reentry

C.D.C. Airline Checklist for Reentry - this gives good information on the type of test required

I know this information isn't much, but I hope it helps!

51 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

13 minutes ago, Wren_dc said:

Hello,

I'll be on the 8/8 Greek Isles NCL sailing, so I've also been researching the topic of covid tests for re-entry to the U.S. 

I called NCL last week, and I was told that all passengers WILL receive a free covid test prior to disembarkation, and that test would allow passengers to fly home to their respective countries upon disembarkation. 

Since the U.S. requires a viral test  (rather than an antigen test ) within 3 calendar days in order to board a flight for the U.S., I was told that NCL would provide a viral test to U.S. passengers prior to disembarkation.  I could not, however, get any details on WHEN that test would be given on board (2 days prior? 1 day?) or any other details from NCL.  I was told that the "situation was fluid" and that NCL staff were still working out these details. 

Here are some helpful links to covid-related resources:

U.S. Embassy in Greece

U.S. State Dept. - testing requirement for reentry

C.D.C. - testing requirement for reentry

C.D.C. Airline Checklist for Reentry - this gives good information on the type of test required

I know this information isn't much, but I hope it helps!

PCR tests are not required to enter the US by air. Antigen tests are also accepted. Here's the CDC directive on the matter: 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?

Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

Can I get a rapid test?

Rapid tests are acceptable as long as they are a viral test acceptable under the Order.

Edited by njhorseman

I'm on the same cruise and haven't been overly worried about it. Keep hoping US will update to allow vaccinated passengers regardless, but we do move slow.

Other big concern is connecting flights. I have to worry about Austria and Canada's rules because I have connections in those countries.

Right now looks like I don't need to do anything for Canada, but Austria will require vaccination and health assessment. Neither of which is a problem as of now.

9 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

PCR tests are not required to enter the US by air. Antigen tests are also accepted. Here's the CDC directive on the matter: 

Yes, sorry, I meant antibody, not antigen.  See this link for information on what type of test will be required.  Nevertheless, I'm satisfied that NCL will provide a test for passengers prior to disembarkation.