Bringing soda onboard

Hello all,

According to their website, passengers can bring 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom.  Just needing some clarification:

(1) on embarkation day, does it have to be stored in carry on luggage or can you bring it in the plastic bag it was placed in at time of purchase?

(2) can you also do this when retuning to the ship from each port?

Thanks in advance

Edited by cruising mickey

2 minutes ago, cruising mickey said:

Hello all,

According to their website, passengers can bring 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom.  Just needing some clarification:

(1) on embarkation day, does it have to be stored in carry on luggage or can you bring it in the plastic bag it was placed in at time of purchase?

(2) can you also do this when retuning to the ship from each port?

Thanks in advance

You can carry the soda on anyway you want, it just can't be in your checked luggage.  It is only allowed at port of embarkation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Per stateroom?  I'm sure people do it per person by checking in a different times to get even more soda onboard.

It is per stateroom.  And I think that not enough people try to "get around" the rule for them to worry about.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

It is per stateroom.  And I think that not enough people try to "get around" the rule for them to worry about.

As with anything it really depends on a lot of factors: whether the cruise staff is in a good mood or not, whether people are abusing the rule, how big the crowd is, etc. We've consistently been lucky to check in 12-packs of 1L waters, then carry on 18 regular sized cans of soda (six each of my wife, my son and I), two bottles of bubbly (in the open) and 20oz vodka/rum bottles (disguised). But we've also seen people getting their 24-pack of beer and excess soda confiscated. So, if you're going to push the boundaries, be flexible and bear in mind if you have a strict person going through your stuff, you might have to kiss it good bye 🙂

• Like 1

I can only speak from the experiences I have had.

The only departure ports I have boarded with soda are Baltimore and Cape Liberty (drive-to's).

This accounts for 18 sailings up to the last February cruising was available.

I have brought two 12 ounce 12 packs of cans every time, whether cruising solo or with my wife. It was always allowed.

Once I attempted to put the twelve packs in a checked bag for Anthem. It was sent to the holding room for inspection. When I went to retrieve it, the workers there wondered why soda was sent to them. It was returned to me with a lesson learned.

Maybe the most significant experience is when docked in San Juan, which was for probably 14 of the cruises. As my favorite cruise director, Tanya, once told me, the most common shore excursion in San Juan was to CVS and Walgreens right by the ship. Everyone brought back soda and water from there, lines of people at the security check coming back aboard. No soda ever taken away. However, I never saw anyone try to take more than the normal amount allowed at departure.

One last recollection, I have brought soda back from the store near the pier in Halifax several times while on Grandeur. No problem - except for the per can or bottle recycling charge! Quite high.

I'm not questioning the validity of the Royal statement, just sharing my experiences with it.