Christine Duffy on GMA Today - Vaccine Question

17 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

It was very clear, no unvaccinated passengers. She stated families will have to wait longer to cruise (paraphrased). One of the companies are seeking true FDA approval for all age groups. I expect in the next 6-8 weeks, the vaccine will be for everyone. 

As for having to cancel, I don't expect the cruise lines to be as generous as before with extra FCC or OBC. They will probably only allow cancelations with refund. If you had OBC from before, it will be lost.

That won't be much longer.  Maybe August the rate they are loosening these ages that are being approved.  How many Carnival ships will sail between now and August out of Florida?

10 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I can understand and sympathize. I can also agree to the argument if there is no vaccine available. However, I expect vaccines to be available soon since one of them just applied for full FDA approval for all ages. If that is the case, it comes down to a choice. That choice is not something the cruise lines should have to think about nor cover. 

I understand it will be an individual choice. In the end, the free OBC is no loss to you. It is the loss of a free perk that was applied to a cruise. In the circumstance you are stating, and I do understand it, it is no longer the CDC or cruise line canceling an entire sailing. It is individuals making the decision on their trip. It will be interesting to see what the cruise lines do in cases like yours. If they are small enough in number, I could see them making exceptions on individual basis.

Yeah, losing the OBC would be like giving them a interest free loan since March 2020.  lol  

The FDA didn't approve any of the COVID vaccines yet.  For kids, they just started research on it so it would be at least a year before the FDA would approve the mRNA vaccine for all ages.  Pfizer just submitted for approval in early May and Moderna just submitted it on June 1st.  It takes 10 months for the FDA to approve them once the applications are received.  Data takes time.  

Edited by BrotherCraig
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

One of the companies are seeking true FDA approval for all age groups. I expect in the next 6-8 weeks, the vaccine will be for everyone. 

Children 6mos to 11? Source? I have been watching this closely and this is the first I have seen of this development. Testing is still ongoing for both Pfizer and Moderna. Which vaccine?

• Like 2

According to a conversation I had with my TA yesterday, ALL passengers will be required to be vaccinated regardless of line.  She also said the same for passports - must have in order to board.  No problem for us - we are ready!

2 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Children 6mos to 11? Source? I have been watching this closely and this is the first I have seen of this development. Testing is still ongoing for both Pfizer and Moderna. Which vaccine?

Do a Google search, Pfizer is in plans to request approval for under 12. For your assistance, here are the links

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coronavirus/parents-of-kids-under-12-cheer-news-pfizers-seeking-vaccine-approval-for-younger-kids/2372861/

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/05/04/pfizer-covid-vaccine-children-050421

I could go on, but it is not necessary. You can even look at Pfizer's earnings report for the information. 

8 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

According to a conversation I had with my TA yesterday, ALL passengers will be required to be vaccinated regardless of line.  She also said the same for passports - must have in order to board.  No problem for us - we are ready!

Any travel agent claiming to have for sure knowledge of all cruiselines protocols is obviously clueless. At least my very great ta admits things are changing so rapidly no one knows. Sorry I'd trust my ta over one making up stuff. Travel agents are regular people like us. I know I keep up and read everything but I sure wouldn't claim to know. That's crazy. I wouldn't trust someone claiming that they know the future.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 4

It does sound as if she pretty much said vaccines will be required initially, and they are working with cdc regarding children.  

However here is my question, if it does turn out that they announce that vaccines are required,  how will that work for the ships out of Florida, especially the Horizon starting in July.  Since DeSantis will not allow them to ask for proof of vaccine?

8 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Do a Google search, Pfizer is in plans to request approval for under 12. For your assistance, here are the links

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coronavirus/parents-of-kids-under-12-cheer-news-pfizers-seeking-vaccine-approval-for-younger-kids/2372861/

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/05/04/pfizer-covid-vaccine-children-050421

I could go on, but it is not necessary. You can even look at Pfizer's earnings report for the information. 

All about profits.  Profit over lives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrotherCraig said:

True.  We have small kids - 9, 7, and 1.  We have Disney booked in November and then jumping right on the Mardi Gras for a week.  Can't wait.  Kids are excited.  They have a countdown at home.  We had two cruises cancelled... including our March Mardi Gras.  We felt that it was going to be safe for November so we are sticking with it.  I am confident kids will be able to sail by then.

I heard recently an interview with Dr. Fauci in which he said that he expects a vaccine approval for younger children by November. So, you may be cutting it close, but finger crossed🤞 for everything to work out for you and your family.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lele100 said:

However here is my question, if it does turn out that they announce that vaccines are required,  how will that work for the ships out of Florida, especially the Horizon starting in July.  Since DeSantis will not allow them to ask for proof of vaccine?

That elephant in the room is the topic of many other threads, and is highlighted specifically here:

Probably best to leave the discussion in that thread, to avoid overlap.

19 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

It was an honest question as I had seen nothing definitive outside of expected time frames, which is exactly what you quoted. 

So according to the article you posted in SEPTEMBER, they expect they will be requesting EUA for 2-11 year olds with 6 mos to 2 years in the 4th quarter. That is 3 - 6 months off and the process will probably take another month for each EUA. That is hardly right around the corner. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Yeah, losing the OBC would be like giving them a interest free loan since March 2020.  lol  

The FDA didn't approve any of the COVID vaccines yet.  For kids, they just started research on it so it would be at least a year before the FDA would approve the mRNA vaccine for all ages.  Pfizer just submitted for approval in early May and Moderna just submitted it on June 1st.  It takes 10 months for the FDA to approve them once the applications are received.  Data takes time.  

Did it take that long for Pfizer to get their approval for 12-15 year olds?

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It won’t take a year. The companies are still operating under the emergency approval for the vaccine. I suspect that the vaccine will be approved for school

aged kids before school starts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

FDA never approved the vaccine for anyone yet.  The approval process for adults was just submitted in May and June.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

All about profits.  Profit over lives.

Looks that way. We will consult with our pediatrician but this seems exceptionally rushed for little ones who if healthy are at no risk. We will cancel all cruises and travel even before we rush into this for our little girl. She had Covid with the rest of us (she had the sniffles for one day, the teen felt bad for 2 days, dh and I were in bed for 2 weeks) and all the rest of us are vaccinated so I am not worried about that. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kelkel2 said:

It won’t take a year. The companies are still operating under the emergency approval for the vaccine. I suspect that the vaccine will be approved for school

Take a minimum of 10 months from application to approval. Now if we are talking about Emergency Use order, than that is different.  The COVID vaccines have NOT been approved for ANY AGE yet and won't be until probably early 2022.    EUA is a difference matter.  EUA does not make the vaccines FDA approved.  

• Like 2

So much talk about what age the vaccine is "approved" for...

To be clear there is no "approved" vaccine for ANY age group. 

There is an "emergency use authorization" for 2 vaccines for 18+ and 1 vaccine for 12+.  The soonest ANY vaccine becomes "approved" is ~10 months from now.

• Like 4

That is what is crazy.  If all 12 and up are vaccinated, what does it matter if the kids under the age of 12 are not vaccinated OTHER than port visits.  Very very very very rare for a kid to be sick with COVID.  The vaccinated won't have to worry about unvaccinated children since the vaccinated people are -- vaccinated.  I believe unvaccinated children under the age of 12 should receive a Antigen test before boarding though.  We will see.  These things are evolving - constantly.  

I remain optimistic and not worried about any of this.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

So much talk about what age the vaccine is "approved" for...

To be clear there is no "approved" vaccine for ANY age group. 

There is an "emergency use authorization" for 2 vaccines for 18+ and 1 vaccine for 12+.  The soonest ANY vaccine becomes "approved" is ~10 months from now.

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Take a minimum of 10 months from application to approval. Now if we are talking about Emergency Use order, than that is different.  The COVID vaccines have NOT been approved for ANY AGE yet and won't be until probably early 2022.    EUA is a difference matter.  EUA does not make the vaccines FDA approved.  

I think folks are talking past each other here with interchangeable meanings/misunderstandings of "approval" vs "Authorized for Emergency Use".

If someone would like to ensure their young child is vaxxed to comply with a likely rule that only vaxxed pax can sail, there seems to be a path for that before the end of the year.

If someone wants to wait until the vaccine is fully FDA approved, that is not likely to occur for a year or more (and may be a moot point if COVID-19 turns into a very low risk contagion, and may be a moot point of the vaccination requirements wane for cruising).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think folks are talking past each other here with interchangeable meanings/misunderstandings of "approval" vs "Authorized for Emergency Use".

If someone would like to ensure their young child is vaxxed to comply with a likely rule that only vaxxed pax can sail, there seems to be a path for that before the end of the year.

If someone wants to wait until the vaccine is fully FDA approved, that is not likely to occur for a year or more (and may be a moot point if COVID-19 turns into a very low risk contagion, and may be a moot point of the vaccination requirements wane for cruising).

Even if it does get FDA approved in 10 months, my small kids won't be getting it.  After age 12, we will see.  I am all for the vaccines.  My oldest son and daughter are both vaccinated.  My wife and I are as well.  We are believers in the vaccine and hope we can reach herd immunity.  I am just not going to make my small kids test subjects.  I know a few teens that gotten the vaccine and one is in the hospital with heart issues.  The three teens all have erratic heartbeat issues and dizziness.  Doesn't mean it is common but not taking the chance with my small children.  No way.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

FDA never approved the vaccine for anyone yet.  The approval process for adults was just submitted in May and June.  

I obviously meant the emergency approval process since I asked about how long it took for Pfizer to get their "approval" for 12-15 year olds.

16 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

That would be nice, especially because DW teaches art in an elementary school. But I think it is a bit optimistic. And we don't want the process rushed. I heard Dr. Fauci in an interview say he was hoping for the vaccine to be available for younger children by November.

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I obviously meant the emergency approval process since I asked about how long it took for Pfizer to get their "approval" for 12-15 year olds.

This is what I meant by confusing the terms.

It is Emergency Authorization, not Emergency Approval.  

The term "Approval" is reserved for when the FDA takes action to approve it (or not).

So when you type "approval for 12-15 year olds" it gets misconstrued.  IMHO it is not obvious you meant "emergency [authorization]".

Just pointing out an example of how this has turned into much confusion and misunderstanding.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Even if it does get FDA approved in 10 months, my small kids won't be getting it.  After age 12, we will see.  I am all for the vaccines.  My oldest son and daughter are both vaccinated.  My wife and I are as well.  We are believers in the vaccine and hope we can reach herd immunity.  I am just not going to make my small kids test subjects.  I know a few teens that gotten the vaccine and one is in the hospital with heart issues.  The three teens all have erratic heartbeat issues and dizziness.  Doesn't mean it is common but not taking the chance with my small children.  No way.

Understandable and a common view of many parents. We have natural, understandable fear for our babies. I will follow our pediatricians lead. She has been practicing for 30 years so she has seen it all. 

• Like 1