Tauck - easy breezy or formal?

Punam

Other than the <cough> price of Tauck's  - Cruising the Seine, plus Paris & London - the thing that makes me pause are the videos of formal wear at dinners. I don't want to wear pearls and a long dress like yesteryear. Jacket and ties for the men? Is that really how it is? Nice dinners are lovely but I don't want stuffiness. Does that make me more of a non-Taucker? I like the itineraries. Just don't want to be feel uncomfortable.

3 minutes ago, Punam said:

Other than the <cough> price of Tauck's  - Cruising the Seine, plus Paris & London - the thing that makes me pause are the videos of formal wear at dinners. I don't want to wear pearls and a long dress like yesteryear. Jacket and ties for the men? Is that really how it is? Nice dinners are lovely but I don't want stuffiness. Does that make me more of a non-Taucker? I like the itineraries. Just don't want to be feel uncomfortable.

I am sure someone who has sailed with them will answer you but I have been on 2 river cruises and both were casual.......nobody wore anything close to formal stuff.  Is that what you saw on the website?

I was looking at the same exact cruise......that itinerary looks really good.  I don't own any long dresses so none are going with me LOL....actually, I am not a dress gal........it is pants for every trip. 

I will be waiting to see what answers you receive from previous Tauck cruisers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am sure someone who has sailed with them will answer you but I have been on 2 river cruises and both were casual.......nobody wore anything close to formal stuff.  Is that what you saw on the website?

I was looking at the same exact cruise......that itinerary looks really good.  I don't own any long dresses so none are going with me LOL....actually, I am not a dress gal........it is pants for every trip. 

I will be waiting to see what answers you receive from previous Tauck cruisers.

The formal wear was on Youtube where a Tauck rep showed the boat etc. I'm a pants girl too 🙂 Have you seen AMA IMPRESSIONS OF THE SEINE & PARIS? That looks lovely also and the time in Paris is longer (with their extended stay pkg) but the trip doesn't start in London... decisions, decisions 🙂

Oh....maybe the rep was just dressed up for the video........I don't which river cruise I will be doing yet but I can tell you, no formalwear is going with me🙂.   I haven't looked at that one on AMA yet but I will.

So many choices!

Tauck is not dressy at all on board but there is usually a dinner on shore sometimes with entertainment that you might want to dress up at least a little.  I’m thinking about the nice dinner and waltz performance in Vienna as an example.  It was a lovely evening.  There’s no stuffiness at all w Tauck.  BTW, they usually offer pre and/or post cruise stays and tours.  

• Like 1

I'm sailing Tauck for the 1st time this coming December.  Back in 2019 a poster by the name of @HBCcruiser did a "live from" a Tauck ship:

LIVE Tauck: Amsterdam to Budapest 6/29/19-7/15/19 - River Cruising - Cruise Critic Community

Go to post #160.  The ladies are dressed up, but I doubt if they stood up any of them are wearing evening gowns.  If we have a similar event on my cruise, I'm bringing a simple black dress or black pants & top that I can accessorize to look dressy, and that can do double duty for another night(s).  Looking at the other photos from her cruise, I don't see anything that gives the impression of formality or stuffiness, but we each have our own perceptions. 

Good morning Roz, that would be my "nicer clothes"......especially on a river cruise. A pair of black slacks...nice top.....some jewelry, and even make up😃

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm sailing Tauck for the 1st time this coming December.  Back in 2019 a poster by the name of @HBCcruiser did a "live from" a Tauck ship:

LIVE Tauck: Amsterdam to Budapest 6/29/19-7/15/19 - River Cruising - Cruise Critic Community

Go to post #160.  The ladies are dressed up, but I doubt if they stood up any of them are wearing evening gowns.  If we have a similar event on my cruise, I'm bringing a simple black dress or black pants & top that I can accessorize to look dressy, and that can do double duty for another night(s).  Looking at the other photos from her cruise, I don't see anything that gives the impression of formality or stuffiness, but we each have our own perceptions. 

In this photo, it appears that the passengers are attending an event off-ship, maybe a concert in Vienna?  So they may be more dressed up than they would be for a "regular" shipboard dinner.

1 minute ago, sharkster77 said:

In this photo, it appears that the passengers are attending an event off-ship, maybe a concert in Vienna?  So they may be more dressed up than they would be for a "regular" shipboard dinner.

Yes, that is the case.  The other photos of shipboard meals are casual.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Hi. We did not have full formal nights like ocean cruises have. They held special events for us where we dressed in what I’d call semi-formal attire. No long dresses. Enjoy your river cruise! If you are sailing Tauck you will love it! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roz said:

That was def a special event so extra effort on attire.  That thread is an awesome report on that cruise.  I did the same cruise in reverse.  Everything was so wonderful and we had amazing guides.

• Like 1

We did this cruise with Tauck a few years ago. Had a fabulous time; such a wonderful experience. The ship, the guides and crew were wonderful. They make you feel so welcoming and comfortable. Tauck is first class all the way. Have done five river cruises with them and hope to do more. During the day it is casual wear as you will be going on excursions. In the evening I wore nice slacks and a pretty top with a necklace and earrings. My husband wore slacks and a polo shirt. For a  special event he put on a blazer or sport coat without a tie.