NCL's Continued Commitment to Guest and Crew Safety

Just now, ChutChut said:

That was fake news. 

Not everything is fake news. Just today, Carnival sent a letter to all those booked on the Horizon, saying:

"we are working with the Governor of Florida to find a resolution so we can begin cruising from Florida in the same manner that we are sailing from Galveston in July"

Behind the scenes talks ARE happening. Remains to be seen if they are fruitful.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

That was fake news. 

Ha. Sure.

"Fake news" (a tired and beaten-to-death expression if ever there was one) is one of those things people only ever use in the 3rd person, like "special interest group."

Any news story a hearer doesn't like gets rejected as "fake news." If you read the Florida governor's order, which then was voted on and became law, it's clear that the ban on requiring some sort of vaccine passport does not apply to state and Federal statutes pertaining to public health. It's under Section 5 here:

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/EO-21-81.pdf

The cruise lines absolutely can screen passengers, and passengers are allowed to disclose their medical information, such as whether one has had a vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Ha. Sure.

"Fake news" (a tired and beaten-to-death expression if ever there was one) is one of those things people only ever use in the 3rd person, like "special interest group."

Any news story a hearer doesn't like gets rejected as "fake news." If you read the Florida governor's order, which then was voted on and became law, it's clear that the ban on requiring some sort of vaccine passport does not apply to state and Federal statutes pertaining to public health. It's under Section 5 here:

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/EO-21-81.pdf

The cruise lines absolutely can screen passengers, and passengers are allowed to disclose their medical information, such as whether one has had a vaccine.

Way to derail the thread with actual FACTS @DCGuy64  Be careful with that kind of stuff, or you just might be labeled a 🐀

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, YankeeFan4Ever said:

As we've all heard by now, RCL has made the decision to recommend guests be vaccinated but will not require it. This is, in my opinion the wrong decision that could be disastrous for the entire industry should another onboard outbreak occur.

I'm pleased that NCL has decided on 100% vaccinations for guests and crew. Let's just hope they don't bow to political pressure and change their minds. I've sent an email to the Vice President of NCL guest services (vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com) and Harry Sommer, President & Chief Executive Officer (hsommer@ncl.com)

I would suggest you also make your voices heard if you agree on the 100% vaccination requirement as the only way to return to safe cruising.

Here's my letter, feel free to tweak it and/or use it.  

Dear Mr. Sommer,

I’m writing to you today in regards to the recent disturbing news that Royal Caribbean cruises will not be requiring vaccines for guests on cruises departing the United States.

My wife and I have been loyal NCL cruisers for over a decade with 14 cruises under our belts. We’ve always had fantastic NCL vacations filled with laughter and memories. Your wonderful staff have always made us feel like family and have consistently gone the extra mile to make our time onboard extra special. 

We were very pleased when we read that NCL will require 100% vaccinations for all guests and crew onboard. In our opinion, this is the only safe way to resume cruising and significantly minimize the risk of on onboard outbreak.

We are so confident in your Covid-19 safety protocols that we booked a 7 day cruise to Bermuda from New York onboard the NCL Breakaway for this October. 

We implore you to stand firm in your requirement to have all guests and crew 100% vaccinated. As I’m sure you are aware, another Covid-19 outbreak on any cruise ship could spell disaster for the entire industry.

Further, not requiring 100% vaccinations would alienate your already loyal customer base. In fact, a recent poll on cruisecritic.com indicated that nearly 70% of Royal Caribbean customers would cancel their upcoming cruises now that vaccines are not required but merely recommended.

We ask that you please remain committed to the safety of your guests and crew by requiring 100% vaccinations. It is the only safe way forward until the pandemic is officially declared over.

Thank you.

My name

Latitude #***********

Thank you for sharing this letter and for writing to NCL. I also just took a moment to send an email stating, as so many of us have done, that I just booked an NCL cruise because of its commitment to requiring everyone to have been vaccinated. We all want to feel safe, especially as we travel and because cruise ships put us all in such close quarters. Your letter was perfect; thank you for giving me the idea to also send a note.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

Don't kid yourself.  NCL went with the 100% vaccination mandate to placate the CDC.  In the hopes they could start sailing sooner rather than later.  Especially now, NCL is in dire financial straights.  This is all about revenue, not safety.  Yes it sounds good.  The PR writes itself but NCL is a business and their top priority is making money and avoiding bankruptcy.

If they were in that a dire of financial straights, they would have opened the door to anyone who would book like Royal. Not sure that 100% vaccination = making money. Royal unvaccinated cruises = making money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could they just not work around this by requiring proof of vaccine at each port?  So yeah, you could get on in Florida without proving vaccinated,  but at each port you are stuck on the ship.  Seems simple enough and should deter most people.  

• Like 1

Not writing letters anywhere, but we spoke with our wallets. We switched two grand suites from an Oasis sailing out of Bayonne to one of the recently listed Breakaway sailings out of NY in the Haven in October. For us and our in-laws, the vaccine policy change made the difference. Maybe Royal will fill those suites anyway, maybe they won’t, but it made a difference for us. 

Edited by psac
  • Like 4