Using a visa gift card to pay for cruise

tonto524

Visa/MC/Amex gift cards are generally accepted wherever a standard credit card is taken.  A few exceptions exist, such as with rental cars and hotels, where there may be additional charges put onto the bill and there is a need to have a mechanism to have those charges fully paid.

The same situation often occurs with debit cards -- hotels and rental car companies will frequently "overcharge" the card at check-in, and then return any overage back to the card at the end of the stay.

Another warning about gift cards, some insurers do not consider them as insured payments. I  had the problem when I had to cancel a Baltic cruise last minute.  When I filed my insurance claim they said the gift card I had used to put down my deposit.  This company only covered things paid for with cash, check or credit card.    

6 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Just don't get rid of the card until after your cruise. If there is need to refund money, it goes back to that card.

We had this happen last year with an Am Ex gift card.  Never imagining our summer 2020 cruise would be cancelled, I used a Christmas gift card as a payment on the cruise. Fortunately, for some reason, I stuck the gift card back in my wallet instead of the trash.