I know it is a just over a week away.....

Lois R

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I am not packed.

I am trying to cut down on what I bring.

Its so hot in Greece, much like where I live, that I hope to spend the day in shorts or gauzy linen. Since I have free( yet costly) laundry, theoretically I could really cut back. But will I????

JP and Chris inspire me with their approach to packing, yet Stumble’s approach is more the reality.

We have signed up for many of the excursions which are included. But that means getting up early in the morning and rushing to eat breakfast.

The SALT lab excursions are not among the excursions which are included. For example the SALT excursion in Limassol is $259 per person, the Mykonos cooking class is $169 per person, or the cheese making class is $129 per person.

We live one hours drive from Limassol, do your self a favour keep your dollars in your pocket, Limassol is just a seaside town and not that good, in my opinion.

Thanks Lois for the thread and to all for the good wishes- been so busy preparing I haven't checked the board in days! 

We leave Tuesday and very much hope to board on the 18th and stay until the 8th. Can't wait to sail SS again and very much looking forward to experiencing the Moon.

We're very excited, but Nervous, especially in light of the news from Celebrity's Caribbean cruise. When we booked this cruise I thought the chance of a positive test for vaccinated people was very small. However, it seems that a number of vaccinated people are testing positive without symptoms. The CDC doesn't seem to be tracking the number so I have no idea of the real incidence.  Due to EU regs SS will test us on embarkation, after 3-5 days, at the end of the first 10 day segment, 3-5 days later and then again before disembarkation -  far more tests than would be required in the US under CDC rules.  I can't help worrying that  given all of this testing,  one of us will test positive asymptomatically.  What will that will entail?!   I'm not worried about getting sick - I believe the vaccines are protective (plus we had Covid in January), but I would rather not be turned over to the Greek health authorities as a "positive test"!

Regardless, we don't plan on canceling.  Assuming we make it on board, I'm happy to answer questions. I'm not much of a blogger, but please provide questions and I will answer what I can.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Stumble’s approach is more the reality.

This is why we have a land yacht.  We have no chance of ever packing like JP & Chris.  Ever.

13 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

The SALT lab excursions are not among the excursions which are included. For example the SALT excursion in Limassol is $259 per person, the Mykonos cooking class is $169 per person, or the cheese making class is $129 per person.

Ugh!  I didn’t realize there was going to be charges for the SALT Lab.  Well, hopefully they are radically different than traditional cooking classes or just walking around the market with Chef David.

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

This is why we have a land yacht.  We have no chance of ever packing like JP & Chris.  Ever.

Ugh!  I didn’t realize there was going to be charges for the SALT Lab.  Well, hopefully they are radically different than traditional cooking classes or just walking around the market with Chef David.

Good morning,🙂 there is not a charge for it on board the ship.......this is for 2 excursions that are being offered. (That is how I see it)......there are no prices for the SALT Kitchen when making dinner reservations.    

11 hours ago, sea bright said:

Thanks Lois for the thread and to all for the good wishes- been so busy preparing I haven't checked the board in days! 

We leave Tuesday and very much hope to board on the 18th and stay until the 8th. Can't wait to sail SS again and very much looking forward to experiencing the Moon.

We're very excited, but Nervous, especially in light of the news from Celebrity's Caribbean cruise. When we booked this cruise I thought the chance of a positive test for vaccinated people was very small. However, it seems that a number of vaccinated people are testing positive without symptoms. The CDC doesn't seem to be tracking the number so I have no idea of the real incidence.  Due to EU regs SS will test us on embarkation, after 3-5 days, at the end of the first 10 day segment, 3-5 days later and then again before disembarkation -  far more tests than would be required in the US under CDC rules.  I can't help worrying that  given all of this testing,  one of us will test positive asymptomatically.  What will that will entail?!   I'm not worried about getting sick - I believe the vaccines are protective (plus we had Covid in January), but I would rather not be turned over to the Greek health authorities as a "positive test"!

Regardless, we don't plan on canceling.  Assuming we make it on board, I'm happy to answer questions. I'm not much of a blogger, but please provide questions and I will answer what I can.

Good morning, I hope you have a great cruise🙂. I have a feeling there might be a positive test too.....

can't be sure of course but it seems the odds are it "may happen"...more than it may not.  But who knows really? Maybe we are both wrong and everyone will be totally negative..

I am not cancelling my cruise either.  

Wishing you all the best!

10 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Stumble, to be very clear, the prices I was quoting are for the SALT excursions only, they were listed in the “ashore” section of My Activities in the My Silversea app.

I have no clue if there will be cooking classes aboard in the SALT lab which involve cost. I hope not.

At present the SALT lab restaurant has been touted as included in the cost of the cruise without added fee.

Once aboard we can report what we learn. 

And as for the land yacht, do you plan on bringing it aboard in the future as freight?

;-)

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Stumble, to be very clear, the prices I was quoting are for the SALT excursions only, they were listed in the “ashore” section of My Activities in the My Silversea app.

I have no clue if there will be cooking classes aboard in the SALT lab which involve cost. I hope not.

At present the SALT lab restaurant has been touted as included in the cost of the cruise without added fee.

Once aboard we can report what we learn. 

And as for the land yacht, do you plan on bringing it aboard in the future as freight?

😉

A recent face book interaction with one of the folks in charge of SALT made it clear that their is no charge for cooking lessons in the SALT Lab, but they will have to take bookings, (Due to restricted numbers) they also mentioned for us folks not wanting to do the SALT LAB bit, (I couldn't boil an egg!!) their would be lectures ect in the theatre that included tasters, wine etc. Hope this Helps, We leave from Scotland on Thursday, Hope to see you all on board

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Throast said:

A recent face book interaction with one of the folks in charge of SALT made it clear that their is no charge for cooking lessons in the SALT Lab, but they will have to take bookings, (Due to restricted numbers) they also mentioned for us folks not wanting to do the SALT LAB bit, (I couldn't boil an egg!!) their would be lectures ect in the theatre that included tasters, wine etc. Hope this Helps, We leave from Scotland on Thursday, Hope to see you all on board

Thanks for that information.......there is no place to make a booking for the Lab on line. I am guessing they realize that🙂......I will be asking about it once I get on the ship😃

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I hope you have a great cruise.  Wishing you all the best!

YES!!  Best wishes for all doing these sailings in the Greek islands, etc.  Looking forward to many postings and sharings of information as to how these cruises operate, staff comments, food quality, excursion experiences, etc.  PLUS, any and all visuals will be welcomed, especially of this super new and sparkling Silversea ship.  

For this first cruise, it includes stops at locations such as Patmos, Rhodes,  Limassol/Cyprus and Mykonos that we have enjoyed exploring in the past.  Fun, exciting locations!!  To help build excitement for these visits, I have posted a few of my visuals from being in two of these historic and interesting locations.  

Here is more on Mykonos:  It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians.  With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar.  During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks.  Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.

On Patmos, much centers around the Holy Monastery of St. John and the famed cave of St. John.  The Bible really comes to "life" at this location.  Well worth a visit!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 39,063 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Super loved our day in Mykonos as fortunately it was not crowded in 2006 with too many large ship and/or throngs of tourists.  We rented a car and explored some of the beaches, etc.  As shown in the first picture, the streets of the main town are narrow and charming.  These narrow passages, helped them guard against invading pirates.  Do these visuals help bring back memories?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

DSC_0260.JPG.thumb.jpeg.b8385c0081da2156bdb19d693db152a1.jpeg

DSC_0102.thumb.jpeg.c1f2625f98e4b3dc9315fc6ae5bace76.jpeg

DSC_0082.JPG.thumb.jpeg.b3f9f7606ec47e86a364587ed2d28392.jpeg

On Patmos, there is significant religious history and sites that are worth visiting and experiencing.:

DSC_0236.JPG.thumb.jpeg.d0cc3eaf891a34167445263f533f4399.jpeg

DSC_0226.JPG.thumb.jpeg.87944a0ccb47f5465b4e8566ad9e406f.jpeg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for that information.......there is no place to make a booking for the Lab on line. I am guessing they realize that🙂......I will be asking about it once I get on the ship😃

Hi, I believe it will be on board booking, ( I got the impression they would accommodate everyone, presumably by increasing cooking events if required)   

In 2018, we enjoyed visiting Rhodes, including going to the old, mountain-top fortress of Lindos.  Rhodes made a natural meeting location between the Greeks and Phoenicians.  By the 8th century, Lindos was a major trading for these two major powers/cultures.  This citadel was fortified over the centuries by the Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Knights of St John and Ottomans.  Is that "REAL HISTORY"??

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 19,779 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

At Lindos on the island of Rhodes, this location dates back to the 10th century BC.  We climbed the 300 stops up to the top for great views.  Third is inside one of the historic churches in Lindos.  Very traditional Greek Orthodox in its appearance?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

CMY_6971.thumb.jpeg.d0a39c62eb326877a263fff53ed09342.jpeg

CMY_6975.thumb.jpeg.fe85870977cf2f5496156aa52de63faa.jpeg

CMY_7001.thumb.jpeg.c444bef2bc6ba668d98d88e96da0ebba.jpeg

This is a visual sample of the fortress at historic Rhodes.:

CMY_7048.thumb.jpeg.2981d3b88f265c2f3f979ac16f68bc17.jpeg

Yes, on this cruise you will see many times the classy Greek flag!!:

CMY_7075.thumb.jpeg.fe70dc1585a4c1fb1bbde0d319da25d7.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sea bright said:

When we booked this cruise I thought the chance of a positive test for vaccinated people was very small. However, it seems that a number of vaccinated people are testing positive without symptoms... I can't help worrying that  given all of this testing,  one of us will test positive asymptomatically.

Yes, I posted in another thread this same concern: there undoubtedly will be positive Covid tests. For everyone who is currently vaccinated and going about their daily lives, almost no one is being tested, so people who have the virus with no symptoms go about life without even knowing. That means the vaccine is doing exactly what it's supposed to -- keeping people from being sick -- but it doesn't completely prevent it from entering people's bodies. But in a cruise environment, everyone will be tested, in some cases multiple times. So my guess is that the testing will find some people who have some Covid virus in them without knowing it or having any symptoms, and that positive Covid cases on cruises will be more prevalent than many of us expect simply because of this high level of testing. Unfortunately for those cruisers who test positive, there will be no measured response based on the amount of virus detected; it will be a simple binary "if you've got it at all, you must be isolated" response.

Best of luck to all who are on these early cruises. We're booked in September, and I remain optimistic -- but there will no doubt be some bumps along the way.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Yes, I posted in another thread this same concern: there undoubtedly will be positive Covid tests. For everyone who is currently vaccinated and going about their daily lives, almost no one is being tested, so people who have the virus with no symptoms go about life without even knowing. That means the vaccine is doing exactly what it's supposed to -- keeping people from being sick -- but it doesn't completely prevent it from entering people's bodies. But in a cruise environment, everyone will be tested, in some cases multiple times. So my guess is that the testing will find some people who have some Covid virus in them without knowing it or having any symptoms, and that positive Covid cases on cruises will be more prevalent than many of us expect simply because of this high level of testing. Unfortunately for those cruisers who test positive, there will be no measured response based on the amount of virus detected; it will be a simple binary "if you've got it at all, you must be isolated" response.   Best of luck to all who are on these early cruises. We're booked in September, and I remain optimistic -- but there will no doubt be some bumps along the way.

Appreciate these above insightful comments from our "neighbor" located near Philadelphia.  Am going to borrow these and post them on the "SS Future Re-Open" thread.  You are 100% correct about that there will be  "some bumps along the way".

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,424 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Well, the first cruise is now 2 days away......I am guessing most everyone is on their way to Athens, if not already there. 

Wishing everyone a smooth sailing........in all the ways that count the most😃

15 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I hope it is not too hot like the SW in USA right now.

Weather.com shows mid 80s for the next few days........then in the mid 90s starting on 6/23.

Really excited on your behalf, Spins.  I do hope it all lives up to what you are expecting - bound to be different, but  so amazing to be away on a cruise after the last nearly a year and a half.

We are all looking forward to hearing all about it - probably when you get back.  Don't waste a minute of it.

Lola

• Like 1

Well, now my sailing is just under 2 weeks away😃....actually, I fly out 2 weeks from tomorrow!.........

I can't promise pictures but I will definitely try to post from the ship. Spins and Dr Spins will be disembarking as I embark.  Hoping everything goes smoothly👍

• Like 2