LIVE Virtuosa second 7-day 12/6/2021

tonybecks

11 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

What glorious weather for those onboard this week, it must be amazing. 🌞

Been amazing Saturday & Sunday! 

Today not so great, was low cloud and fog until 3PM before broken sun

Doesnt stop the fun though! The ship has so much to do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zjc said:

Been amazing Saturday & Sunday! 

Today not so great, was low cloud and fog until 3PM before broken sun

Doesnt stop the fun though! The ship has so much to do. 

Fantastic, it must feel like being in the Med!

Any news on what happens with Greenock? Will you have stay in Liverpool a second night as with last week? How about Liverpool, with the government requesting limited travel in and out, are excursions still on today?

15 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Fantastic, it must feel like being in the Med!

Any news on what happens with Greenock? Will you have stay in Liverpool a second night as with last week? How about Liverpool, with the government requesting limited travel in and out, are excursions still on today?

Greenock replaced with Liverpool overnight and extra day, seems the best thing to do.

Just docked in Liverpool this morning and they were still selling excursions last night, wanted to book something however they were perplexed when I explained my disability and required potential access to a bathroom. Tours are not guaranteed this. Understandable given the bubble but not great. 

• Thanks 1

Yes. And be prepared for the excursions to be cancelled because of low demand. The one we wanted to do in Portland (the only one which was really anything other than ‘sitting on a coach’) was cancelled due to lack of interest. Genuinely most folk are on here for a break and a rest. Not to sightsee. 

That said, with the weather being so beautiful there’s been plenty to see from on deck - we saw the Welsh coast yesterday once the fog lifted and were accompanied by pods of dolphins the whole day. Liverpool is sparkling in the sunshine this morning. 

The Euros football is also fun to experience in such an unusual setting so if any of you are joining in the next few weeks you’ll be able to watch in varying levels of size and audio if you like. 

Edited by tonybecks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, zjc said:

Greenock replaced with Liverpool overnight and extra day, seems the best thing to do.

Just docked in Liverpool this morning and they were still selling excursions last night, wanted to book something however they were perplexed when I explained my disability and required potential access to a bathroom. Tours are not guaranteed this. Understandable given the bubble but not great. 

47 minutes ago, tonybecks said:

Yes. And be prepared for the excursions to be cancelled because of low demand. The one we wanted to do in Portland (the only one which was really anything other than ‘sitting on a coach’) was cancelled due to lack of interest. Genuinely most folk are on here for a break and a rest. Not to sightsee. 

That said, with the weather being so beautiful there’s been plenty to see from on deck - we saw the Welsh coast yesterday once the fog lifted and were accompanied by pods of dolphins the whole day. Liverpool is sparkling in the sunshine this morning. 

The Euros football is also fun to experience in such an unusual setting so if any of you are joining in the next few weeks you’ll be able to watch in varying levels of size and audio if you like. 

Thanks for the update from both of you, it sounds like you are having a fantastic time, aww the dolphins, sound idyllic.

I live not that far from Portland and won't get off there but certainly wanted to get off on the Liverpool walking tour (hopefully being walking it won't cancel) & The lochs in Greenock (That's not hopeful now), Belfast I'm not sure about as I've been there recently.

Now get back to those cocktails 🤩

Can't wait for my turn.

• Like 2

Guest BigRoger
1 hour ago, KrazyKopite said:

Hi

What is the dress code in the main dining room during breakfast and lunch.

Are swim shorts and a tee shirt allowed or have you to change into smart shorts.

There is not set ‘dress code’ as such… but generally seen and in our perception generally expected is casual shorts and nice T-shirt/ polo shirt at lunch in the main dining room. It’s casual but still a multi course waiter service dining experience.

15 hours ago, BigRoger said:

There is not set ‘dress code’ as such… but generally seen and in our perception generally expected is casual shorts and nice T-shirt/ polo shirt at lunch in the main dining room. It’s casual but still a multi course waiter service dining experience.

Can I ask what people actually wear in the MDR and pay for restaurants in practice?  Do people still get dressed up, say to the level of P&O, or is it more casual?  Also I have seen mention of some men wearing dinner suites on formal nights (? what called), 

what proportion of them on a percentage basis and is it just one night per week?

On 6/14/2021 at 8:32 PM, KrazyKopite said:

Hi

What is the dress code in the main dining room during breakfast and lunch.

Are swim shorts and a tee shirt allowed or have you to change into smart shorts.

Tell me you're kidding regarding wearing swimming shorts to the dining room 😞 😞 

• Like 1

Guest BigRoger
3 hours ago, tring said:

Can I ask what people actually wear in the MDR and pay for restaurants in practice?  Do people still get dressed up, say to the level of P&O, or is it more casual?  Also I have seen mention of some men wearing dinner suites on formal nights (? what called), 

what proportion of them on a percentage basis and is it just one night per week?

I can only speak for us, and what we observed on our 4 night cruise. Contrary to the views of some to us there seemed to be a lot of guests very well dressed for gala night… many tux on show or evening suits… others smart casually dressed. Let me put it this way…. Our 2 cabins wore tux and evening dresses and we didn’t feel at all uncomfortable or overdressed.

On other nights we always dressed for dinner with smart casual ‘nice shirts’ and slacks and shoes….. Everyone else seemed pretty much the same.

It was not a very casual party cruise - it was a totally normal cruise where people seemed delighted to have the opportunity to dress up at least slightly to reflect beautiful, classy new ship surroundings.

We will do exactly the same when we go again in July.

Edited by BigRoger

Hi everyone lovely to see all the chatter here. We were booked on the 10th of July for 7 days but have changed to the 24th when hopefully the covid restrictions will be better. Can anyone tell me if there are elegant nights and theme nights please so that we know what to bring. We have been on several MSC cruises and know they do things such as white night, Italian Night etc. We are wondering what the Virtuosa will have in store for us. 

5 hours ago, tring said:

Personally (you asked what we actually wear) I wear a polo shirt and coloured jeans (not denim blue, but that's me) every night regardless it's elegant night or any other theme night, I take a stack of polos and that's it.

Never a t-shirt or swim shorts, equally never a suit & tie, polo shirt and jeans every day, that's me.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, jojane said:

Hi everyone lovely to see all the chatter here. We were booked on the 10th of July for 7 days but have changed to the 24th when hopefully the covid restrictions will be better. Can anyone tell me if there are elegant nights and theme nights please so that we know what to bring. We have been on several MSC cruises and know they do things such as white night, Italian Night etc. We are wondering what the Virtuosa will have in store for us. 

On our 7 night last week there were 2 Elegant nights, white night (which many dressed for) and Flower power (or something like that which not many bothered with). I posted all the dailies in the other thread but all the events started quite late and with the low numbers I don't think they were that well attended.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JPR61 said:

Tell me you're kidding regarding wearing swimming shorts to the dining room 😞 😞 

In my experience even though there is officially a no shorts (except children) or swimwear most people will get away with smart shorts but I have seen swimwear turned away several times.

In fairness I don't see that as unreasonable, if you want to wear swimwear you have the buffet.

MSC are generally very relaxed on their MDR rules.

I think you will find every cruise line has a no swimwear policy in the MDR, I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jojane said:

See the post by BigRoger just above yours, re gala night!

Some replies:

Not seen swimwear in the MDR for lunch. Smart shorts all over, as the weather is so nice, but no wet shorts. What has been nice to see is I haven’t seen any evidence of food waste that you usually see. No one is piling mounds of food onto their plates, picking at it and then walking off. That drives me crackers on normal cruises so lovely to see none of that one here. 

Elegant nights were a real mixture from the super casual, to hideous non-age appropriate neon, sequins and sparkly masks up to really classily dressed up. I had a suit on and most made an effort from those I saw. Those in the Speciality Restaurants are usually dressed smart casual every night. 

The second Liverpool day was simply more repeated walking tours. Don’t think many took them up on the offer. 

We did the Roman city of Chester excursion yesterday. Was OK, if a bit artificial because of the restrictions. A good guide and a decent four hours+ off the ship including a chunk wandering around on foot in a group for £50 so can’t really complain. 

The comedian is now an impressionist - haven’t seen so can’t comment but does all the obvious characters like Ozzy Osbourne and Amy Winehouse going by the poster. There is an amazing jazz improv trio on the ship though who are worth catching. Everyone who has seen them raves about the Soul Brothers. 

Spent last night in the new speciality restaurant Indochine. Very nice food and staff as attentive as you’d expect. But the prices if you go off the package deal are just daft. £49 for lobster? I mean…  speaking of - interesting to find out the restaurants are actually mostly private franchises and not owned by MSC. Is that a thing? I never knew that. 

Been chatting to crew (all lovely)! Contrary to rumours - they aren’t remotely all vaccinated. Some have had one and some haven’t even had either yet! They all have individual rooms on the lower decks though which must be refreshing for them. We had our mid voyage Covid test today. I’ve never been handled so roughly by a healthcare person - he rammed it so far up my nose I thought it was gonna pop out my eyeball. Be warned folks. So many others emerged spluttering aghast! 

Was surprised our stateroom steward only comes in once a day - in the morning. So if you use your bathroom or beach towels throughout the day you won’t get them changed for fresh ones should you need until after you’ve got ready the next morning. Never not had an evening visit from the steward on a cruise before! They are of course happy to swap if you ask but handy to know about. 

Nice touch having USB charging ports built into the bedside light fittings. So many fellow cruisers hadn’t noticed this so we keep making people happy with that bit of news. Haha. Another thing I like is being able to see the whole week’s MDR breakfast, lunch and dinner menus on the electronic screens from the moment you board. Means if you have  a dining package you can plan which days you use them to avoid bad menus. Today was ‘French’ night in the MDR and I would have struggled significantly with what was in offer so we went to the Mexican which was ace. 

Unbelievable weather we’ve had though. Never thought I’d be sunbathing or using water slides in the shadow of the Liver birds! 

On to Belfast…

D761F1E4-FAAD-4AE5-93FB-563A57B4952E.jpeg

Edited by tonybecks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tonybecks said:

Was surprised our stateroom steward only comes in once a day - in the morning. So if you use your bathroom or beach towels throughout the day you won’t get them changed for fresh ones should you need until after you’ve got ready the next morning. Never not had an evening visit from the steward on a cruise before!

COVID-19 is the reason!! 😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tonybecks said:

Some replies:

Not seen swimwear in the MDR for lunch. Smart shorts all over, as the weather is so nice, but no wet shorts. What has been nice to see is I haven’t seen any evidence of food waste that you usually see. No one is piling mounds of food onto their plates, picking at it and then walking off. That drives me crackers on normal cruises so lovely to see none of that one here. 

Elegant nights were a real mixture from the super casual, to hideous non-age appropriate neon, sequins and sparkly masks up to really classily dressed up. I had a suit on and most made an effort from those I saw. Those in the Speciality Restaurants are usually dressed smart casual every night. 

The second Liverpool day was simply more repeated walking tours. Don’t think many took them up on the offer. 

We did the Roman city of Chester excursion yesterday. Was OK, if a bit artificial because of the restrictions. A good guide and a decent four hours+ off the ship including a chunk wandering around on foot in a group for £50 so can’t really complain. 

The comedian is now an impressionist - haven’t seen so can’t comment but does all the obvious characters like Ozzy Osbourne and Amy Winehouse going by the poster. There is an amazing jazz improv trio on the ship though who are worth catching. Everyone who has seen them raves about the Soul Brothers. 

Spent last night in the new speciality restaurant Indochine. Very nice food and staff as attentive as you’d expect. But the prices if you go off the package deal are just daft. £49 for lobster? I mean…  speaking of - interesting to find out the restaurants are actually mostly private franchises and not owned by MSC. Is that a thing? I never knew that. 

Been chatting to crew (all lovely)! Contrary to rumours - they aren’t remotely all vaccinated. Some have had one and some haven’t even had either yet! They all have individual rooms on the lower decks though which must be refreshing for them. We had our mid voyage Covid test today. I’ve never been handled so roughly by a healthcare person - he rammed it so far up my nose I thought it was gonna pop out my eyeball. Be warned folks. So many others emerged spluttering aghast! 

Was surprised our stateroom steward only comes in once a day - in the morning. So if you use your bathroom or beach towels throughout the day you won’t get them changed for fresh ones should you need until after you’ve got ready the next morning. Never not had an evening visit from the steward on a cruise before! They are of course happy to swap if you ask but handy to know about. 

Nice touch having USB charging ports built into the bedside light fittings. So many fellow cruisers hadn’t noticed this so we keep making people happy with that bit of news. Haha. Another thing I like is being able to see the whole week’s MDR breakfast, lunch and dinner menus on the electronic screens from the moment you board. Means if you have  a dining package you can plan which days you use them to avoid bad menus. Today was ‘French’ night in the MDR and I would have struggled significantly with what was in offer so we went to the Mexican which was ace. 

Unbelievable weather we’ve had though. Never thought I’d be sunbathing or using water slides in the shadow of the Liver birds! 

On to Belfast…

D761F1E4-FAAD-4AE5-93FB-563A57B4952E.jpeg

Hey

any Toilet stops at all on the Chester excursion? The on board team said no so I didn’t join due to disability but would like to book this tour for a future cruise 

20 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

In my experience even though there is officially a no shorts (except children) or swimwear most people will get away with smart shorts but I have seen swimwear turned away several times.

In fairness I don't see that as unreasonable, if you want to wear swimwear you have the buffet.

MSC are generally very relaxed on their MDR rules.

I think you will find every cruise line has a no swimwear policy in the MDR, I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any.

I'm unsure why you are replying to me.  I asked the other poster if they were kidding.  I would never wear swimming stuff to a MDR.  Thats why I asked them if they were kidding.

11 minutes ago, zjc said:

Hey

any Toilet stops at all on the Chester excursion? The on board team said no so I didn’t join due to disability but would like to book this tour for a future cruise 

Yes. Two. The guide was very good at being aware of that 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tonybecks said:

Yes. Two. The guide was very good at being aware of that 👍🏻

good to know thanks for that, I asked the team on the ship but they looked at me with blank expressions. 

1 hour ago, JPR61 said:

I'm unsure why you are replying to me.  I asked the other poster if they were kidding.  I would never wear swimming stuff to a MDR.  Thats why I asked them if they were kidding.

I'm sorry, yes I noticed I quoted the wrong post soon afterwards but was outside the edit window.
My apologies.