Florida wins against CDC?

Hadacareer

My source is the mayoclinic.... what is yours? 

U.S. COVID-19 vaccine tracker: See your state’s progress - Mayo Clinic

Of course children don't book cruises, but vaccinated adults want to cruise with their children do.... and NCL needs those people because they are.... get this... a family friendly cruise line!!

The last stats I read was that even if children over 2 could be vaccinated less than 25% of adults were willing to vaccinate their children. Just how long do you expect NCL to hold the 100% vaccination rule?

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, doctork said:

I thought that the reason there may be a 95% requirement vaccination rate is to allow for some unvaccinated children to cruise.  Those under age 12 are not yet eligible, so 100% vaccinated requirement effectively eliminates children under 12.  For some lines - no problem, they aim for adults anyway.  For other lines, children constitute a large portion of passengers, though indeed, they don't usually make the purchase.

Thank you. It seemed obvious to me also. IMO Cruises will likely sail with 95% vaccinated for quite some time. It's the 100% vaccinated that seems highly unlikely to stick, yet there are people here who insist they will only sail with 100% vaccination and believe that NCL (a cruise line that caters to children) can keep the current policy. I believe the current policy is fleeting. I also believe it's a good thing there are cruise lines with 100% vaccination requirements for those who desire 🙂

• Like 2

Just now, RumRunner2021 said:

Apparently I do!  Fortunately, I live in a free country.  

LOL... this made me giggle. It's good not to take yourself so seriously. I could learn a thing or two.

Obviously I do disagree with your position, but If I'm wrong I'll buy you a beer too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

LOL... this made me giggle. It's good not to take yourself so seriously. I could learn a thing or two.

Obviously I do disagree with your position, but If I'm wrong I'll buy you a beer too. 

Yeah, it's all good.  I'll buy the second round. 😎

Edited by RumRunner2021
  • Like 2

There are also those with immune suppression that limit vaccine effectiveness, and allergies that preclude immunization.  Then we know already that the vaccine is "only 95%" effective (which extraordinarily successful), and herd immunity is thought to prevail at some rate from 70% to 95%.

With health issues, it is rare to have 100% for anything, though a temporary policy while we transition back to cruising may be appropriate. 

Just now, RumRunner2021 said:

Yeah, it's all good.  I'll buy the second round.

And there you have it........ an internet disagreement that  ends in a friendly drinking game 🙂

I love cruise criitic and believe that when it all shakes out those of us who love cruising have much in common.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Being a cruise related site you would think there are fans of cruise lines here.  I always see them pop up in having the cruise line's back if someone questions pricing or something else.  But why so many are rooting against the cruise lines in their policies trying to keep their customers safe and keeping themselves in business is beyond me 🙄🤔

Although that's fair commentary, it would be helpful to disclose what other industry is doing, or being expected to do, the same? 

There are none. 

That's the point.

IMO, I'd like to see "option" cruises.  100% vaccinated cruises.  95% vaccinated cruises.  Other cruises.  Masks mandated cruises.  No masks mandated cruises.  Social distancing cruises, no social distancing cruises.

Select what you'd like and let people, the consumer, decide.  

When people make the choices, knowing the guidelines and risks, everybody wins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Although that's fair commentary, it would be helpful to disclose what other industry is doing, or being expected to do, the same? 

There are none. 

That's the point.

IMO, I'd like to see "option" cruises.  100% vaccinated cruises.  95% vaccinated cruises.  Other cruises.  Masks mandated cruises.  No masks mandated cruises.  Social distancing cruises, no social distancing cruises.

Select what you'd like and let people, the consumer, decide.  

When people make the choices, knowing the guidelines and risks, everybody wins.

So you are saying.....you like the way it is right now, as we have all these choices (not in Florida until the law gets shot down, but everywhere else).  I agree, we have choices, vote with your wallets folks.  As for me, I will be on the 100% vaccine cruise as long as it's an option.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

And there you have it........ an internet disagreement that  ends in a friendly drinking game 🙂

I love cruise criitic and believe that when it all shakes out those of us who love cruising have much in common.

He's not called RumRunner2021 for nothing.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Navis said:

Haha, I wish I was on a ship somewhere right now! Not until 2022 for me, sadly. Other than my clerk experience, I really don’t have much relevant experience on this one. My practice is focused on multinational corporate M&A now. When I was clerking, we did hear a few en banc appeals of purported violations of the APA, but never one brought for exceeding delegated authority under the PHSA. That said, I have always thought the eviction moratorium might have been pushing the extreme limit of agency delegated power and I think the arguments made against such authority are quite strong (so I was not surprised to see the recent remand). 

As to the alternatively pled constitutional claims, I would not give them much weight at all. They were likely added primarily for forum shopping purposes so that those states would not be forced to file their claim in the DC Circuit, which has original jurisdiction on claims related solely to administrative matters. The southern states do not like DC Circuit and do everything they can to avoid filing there. By adding a constitutional claim or two to their pleadings they can avoid (or survive) a motion to transfer venue and thus have the whole case initially heard in a venue they deem more amenable to their arguments. 

Well @Navis, you did provide some inside baseball color on the case with the constitutional claims gambit.  Thanks!

19 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

You left out clothing optional cruises @At Sea At Peace.  Oh yea, a mask mandate kills that option, right? 😉🤣

6 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

Are you sailing from Florida?  If not, I'm not aware of any court cases that are challenging NCL's rules.

The Florida law that forbids vaccine passports is what is challenging NCL's rules. If is were not for the Florida law, there would be no problem at all for cruise lines sailing SAFELY out of Florida.

11 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

The Florida law that forbids vaccine passports is what is challenging NCL's rules. 

It’s the other way around. NCL, which wants to sail with 100% pax vaxxed, has filed a lawsuit challenging the Florida law that purports to prohibit businesses, including cruise lines, from requiring their  customers to be vaxxed. 

13 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

It’s the other way around. NCL, which wants to sail with 100% pax vaxxed, has filed a lawsuit challenging the Florida law that purports to prohibit businesses, including cruise lines, from requiring their  customers to be vaxxed. 

i was referring to NCL's rules as their commitment to sail with 100% vaxxed passengers. So, actually, I said the same thing you did.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1

Just now, coffeebean said:

i was referring to NCL's rules as their commitment to sail with 100% vaxxed passengers. So, actuallt, I said the same thing you did.

Actually, you said it backwards in terms of what was “challenging” what. But we understand each other, it’s all good. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wally4ever said:

I'm fine with a policy requiring 100% vaccination rates among eligible cruisers.  I just want to be able to take my daughter, who based on current science is unlikely to either contract or pass COVID.  

This is why I like that all cruise lines are not going 100%.  And please stop with the doom and gloom that if you go on a cruise with anything else other than 100% you are not being safe (ie going to die).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Shipof6Fools said:

And please stop with the doom and gloom that if you go on a cruise with anything else other than 100% you are not being safe (ie going to die).

I'm fairly certain that neither @wally4ever nor anybody else in these threads has ever said any such thing.  Do you have a link?  I want 100% vaxed so that I don't have to wear a stupid mask, skip the buffet and sit fifteen feet apart at the bar and in the shows.  Dying is of no concern (well, other than the fact that that fate awaits all of us 💀).

Edited by RumRunner2021
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, RumRunner2021 said:

I'm fairly certain that neither @wally4ever nor anybody else in these threads has ever said any such thing.  Do you have a link?  I want 100% vaxed so that I don't have to wear a stupid mask, skip the buffet and sit fifteen feet apart at the bar and in the shows.  Dying is of no concern (well, other than the fact that that fate awaits all of us 💀).

Ahh but cats..errr...rats have 9 lives. *Poke*

Edited by MorganClark
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, coffeebean said:

The Florida law that forbids vaccine passports is what is challenging NCL's rules. If is were not for the Florida law, there would be no problem at all for cruise lines sailing SAFELY out of Florida.

Cruise lines are sailing safely right now out of Florida.  NCL has chosen to take a different route and just guessing but something tells me they haven't got it together with crew staffing. Meanwhile CCL and Royal and Celebrity are sailing safely out of Florida.  When I see some other States start sailing is when I will put some heat on Florida.  Right now in the slow season for cruising Florida is leading the way in the US.

• Like 1