LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

8 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Or you can always pay $6 and get a glass of choice.

Why would you have to pay?  They included their drink package in our booking.  The list of drink options works for me and the others in party.

9 hours ago, Dukefan said:

This has been asked a couple of times with no answer yet by the current Viking Sky Cruisers.  Let me ask it another way.   Are the Chef's Table menus on the second Iceland cruise the same as on the first Iceland cruise:  Xiang, Great Britian,  and Asian Panaroma - yes or no?

I thought they just cycled through the menus, changing every 3 days, making it hard to predict where they'll be in the rotation when each of us boards.  But I could be wrong.   I suppose it might also depend upon availability of the different food, spices, etc. they need.  But if Xiang, Great Britain and Asian Panorama come up again for this cruise, perhaps you'll have your answer! 

Boston Logan terminal E. 

Airport has a good website that is up-to-date.  It has an interactive map that will show you what is available.  

We were there July 2.  One restaurant with take out and minimal seating was open. Hudson was selling food.  Terminal C is walkable without leaving security and had more food service.  

Keep checking the website for changes.  

24 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Why would you have to pay?  They included their drink package in our booking.  The list of drink options works for me and the others in party.

Not everyone had the drinks package included in their booking. Those of us who booked in early April were offered different incentives.   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

not everyone was offered a free drink package.  For others, it's $139 pp or pay by the drink.

50 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Boston Logan terminal E. 

Airport has a good website that is up-to-date.  It has an interactive map that will show you what is available.  

We were there July 2.  One restaurant with take out and minimal seating was open. Hudson was selling food.  Terminal C is walkable without leaving security and had more food service.  

Keep checking the website for changes.  

Thanks Peregrina651! I was hoping the website was not up to date 😀. Will check out terminal C. How were the security lines?

8 hours ago, Shipshape54 said:

Is the gym open?  Do you need to reserve time/machine?  Always enjoy walking the treadmill while pulling into a port

Gym is open by appointment for 45 minutes per person I believe. I friend of ours is going daily and most times no one is manning the desk and no one is  in the gym so he just goes in and works out.

Edited by DJVKN

18 hours ago, Dukefan said:

This has been asked a couple of times with no answer yet by the current Viking Sky Cruisers.  Let me ask it another way.   Are the Chef's Table menus on the second Iceland cruise the same as on the first Iceland cruise:  Xiang, Great Britian,  and Asian Panaroma - yes or no?

The Chef’s Table menus for the July 3 cruise are in order: Xiang, Great Britain, California Something (I can’t remember the full name and I had never done VO before). We had the Xiang and it was very good. We are doing the California on Friday night. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, camp15 said:

Thanks Peregrina651! I was hoping the website was not up to date 😀. Will check out terminal C. How were the security lines?

Timing is everything.  There was no one in line at security as we got there, just after 5:30pm.  I don't think it stayed that way for long.  

As crowds grow in TermE hopefully more facilities will open up again.  

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Not everyone had the drinks package included in their booking. Those of us who booked in early April were offered different incentives.   

Sorry to hear that.  We booked the end of May and  the drink package was included.  Totally wasted on me as I am lucky to have one drink a week.  Is there any real advantage to prepaying gratuities on Viking?  I normally pre pay on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

How important is it to bring the insect head covering as many have posted?  I saw on WalMart site they are much cheaper than on Amazon.  I have experienced how nasty the sand flees can be in FL and the  deer flies in GA and FL and I really prefer the netting over my head/face.  Did you take netting with you?

I guess since most are reporting good weather the waterproof boots aren't essential.  Your opinion please,

12 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Those of us on the earlier bookings did not get the drink package.

A question for those on board at the moment:

Is the Viking Voyager App working as it should? 

Is it showing you tours, dining reservations etc? 

Does it have that days menus on? 

Does it have the wine list? 

Is it useful? 

Many thanks in anticipation. 

12 hours ago, ValarieDennis said:

Are there Future Cruise agents on the Sky? If so, are there any incentives being offered for booking while on the ship?

Yes, we've met with JoJo. We did $500 down per person for a 2022 new Zealand cruise. Final payment not due until 6 months prior to cruise and received $200 on board credit for current cruise. 

20210707_113759.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Sorry to hear that.  We booked the end of May and  the drink package was included.  Totally wasted on me as I am lucky to have one drink a week.  Is there any real advantage to prepaying gratuities on Viking?  I normally pre pay on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

How important is it to bring the insect head covering as many have posted?  I saw on WalMart site they are much cheaper than on Amazon.  I have experienced how nasty the sand flees can be in FL and the  deer flies in GA and FL and I really prefer the netting over my head/face.  Did you take netting with you?

I guess since most are reporting good weather the waterproof boots aren't essential.  Your opinion please,

The insect net head/face overing is a must do and easy to pack and use. I wouldn't leave without rain gear of any type. Too many warnings of quickly changing weather here.

26 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Has anyone done the hike to the top of Ekjfell Mountain?  Any feedback on this - level of difficulty, etc.?

I'm not onboard, so perhaps shouldn't be answering.  But just in case it's helpful, here's info I've read about the hike to the top of Eldfell.  It's from a Rick Steves book and another source. If doing hike on your  own, allow 1-1/2 hours or more.  Hike up is 20--40 minutes, wear boots if have & be careful on way down, can be a little slippery.  Don't have to go all way up to get good views of town below or lava which covered part of the city.  You can get to path from the top of the Eldheimer Museum or there are other well-worn paths up.

I notice that the MVJ description (at least for our cruise date) says there's no need to book the included walking tour separately, as the Eldfell hike includes the walking tour.  So I guess you pay for the Eldfell hike extension and the walking tour is provided before or after.  But if anyone does this and can provide more info, plus info to verify what I've stated, that would be appreciated.  I'm still torn on what to do in Heimaey - too many interesting things there.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

3 hours ago, VI_Lounger said:

Pure sunshine, blue skies and expect 63 today. Hope that tracks better! Another beautiful port to enjoy.

20210707_074949.jpg

Shucks. Was hoping app called for rain (it does for next Wednesday) but happy for you!

• Like 2

We went to the Voks Baths this morning. Beautiful weather. Just an FYI. Yesterday and today… The buses are not social distance and only about 50% are wearing masks on the buses although it is required. Captain has made an announcement and Jenna the CD as well to no avail. YMMV.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, VI_Lounger said:

The insect net head/face overing is a must do and easy to pack and use. I wouldn't leave without rain gear of any type. Too many warnings of quickly changing weather here.

We bought these head nets - easy, comfortable 

https://amzn.to/3xos1pz

**** Is bug spray necessary and/or does it help?

FYI for others since it’s hard to search forums. Bought these rain pants. Comfy and plenty of room for clothes underneath https://amzn.to/3hKCIfy and matching jacket. https://amzn.to/3wlwrw8 Both good quality.  

18 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

We went to the Voks Baths this morning. Beautiful weather. Just an FYI. Yesterday and today… The buses are not social distance and only about 50% are wearing masks on the buses although it is required. Captain has made an announcement and Jenna the CD as well to no avail. YMMV.

Is there no Viking rep on board the bus?  We’ve always had somebody from Viking on each bus tour we’ve taken. They just kind of ride along, but in this case, they could remind about the rules. 

24 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

Come on people.  Wearing a mask is not a big deal.  Please don't ruin things for future cruisers.  I haven't cruised since December 2019 and I really, really want a nice vacation this year.  

• Like 11