LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

OK, told someone I'd report back on Quest.  Not sure if that was here or not, but just FYI:

Spouse and I got Covid results back around 9 AM this morning (Monday) after taking PCR tests around 11 AM Saturday at the Laurel, MD Quest.  (If you use Quest, however, make sure location you're interested in advertises 1 to 2 day turnaround on PCR.  Not all do.)  I had gotten a doctor's order (still not sure if that was required or not) and the doctor's office forwarded results to me.  So if you think something's missing from a lab, and you went through a doctor's office, you may want to check with them.  A little later II'm going to go look to see if I've gotten results yet on Quest portal (which you can set up, but not required) or email.  But in any case, I'm good to go. 

Now to the Iceland barcode process.  And I received email from Viking today with travel ER number, though I already had that in my notes.  Getting closer. Time to relax a little. Thanks to everyone for info and help.  I hope to write about my experiences here this week while on board Jupiter.  Can't comment much on music/shows, liquor, or spa treatments.  But excursions and independent exploration?  Glad to try to answer questions.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Did you wear a bathing suit coverup or just go straight from locker room into baths?

I brought a cover up but did not use it.  There was very little wind, partly sunny and upper 50's.  I ended up putting my towel on a peg by the first pool but went out to the furthest pool without it.  Some people carried their towels out and tied them to the railing by the last pool.  The walk from the locker room to a pool is very short so you get warm right away.

14 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

OK, told someone I'd report back on Quest.  Not sure if that was here or not, but just FYI:

Spouse and I got results back around 9 AM this morning (Monday) after taking PCR tests at 11 AM Saturday at Laurel, MD Quest.  I had gotten a doctor's order (still not sure if that was required or not) and doctor's office forwarded results to me.  So if you think something's missing from a lab, and you went through your doctor, you may want to check with them.  I'm going to go look to see if I've gotten results yet on Quest portal (which you can set up, but not required) or email.  But in any case, I'm good to go.  Now to the Iceland barcode process.  And I received email from Viking today with travel ER number, though I already had that in my notes.  Getting closer. Time to relax a little. Thanks to everyone for info and help. 

Enjoy.  Wish we were going again.  It was worth the hassel.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Spouse and I got Covid results back around 9 AM this morning (Monday) after taking PCR tests around 11 AM Saturday at the Laurel, MD Quest.  (If you use Quest, however, make sure location you're interested in advertises 1 to 2 day turnaround on PCR.  Not all do.)  I had gotten a doctor's order (still not sure if that was required or not) and the doctor's office forwarded results to me.  So if you think something's missing from a lab, and you went through a doctor's office, you may want to check with them.  A little later II'm going to go look to see if I've gotten results yet on Quest portal (which you can set up, but not required) or email.  But in any case, I'm good to go. 

Now to the Iceland barcode process.  And I received email from Viking today with travel ER number, though I already had that in my notes.  Getting closer. Time to relax a little. Thanks to everyone for info and help.  I hope to write about my experiences here this week while on board Jupiter.  Can't comment much on music/shows, liquor, or spa treatments.  But excursions and independent exploration?  Glad to try to answer questions.  

Thank you for the information.  We will be using Quest for the PCR for the Bermuda cruise in August. We did not need a PCR test when we went to Iceland - it's a lot less stressful if one is not required!

30 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

What is entailed in the barcode process?   Do they send you a text with a verification code or what and then what is asked on the registration?   Did they send you an email with your barcode?  How soon did you get that?   Thanks so much for your help.

22 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

The current situation is that yes you can, although Viking have said they reserve the right to change that in the future. 

Most people check in at the concert hall in Reykjavik and you can also stay in the city and there are shuttles running all day 1 between the city and the ship. The shuttle ran every 30 minutes from noon and the last shuttle bus returned to the ship at 9pm. 

Thanks for this info...I'm assuming one can drop their luggage off at the concert hall if they are staying in town, is that correct? 

58 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

What is entailed in the barcode process?   Do they send you a text with a verification code or what and then what is asked on the registration?   Did they send you an email with your barcode?  How soon did you get that?   Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, viking sends detailed info.  For us, it was July 22 for Aug. 3 cruise.  Current info, and they also send reminders.  I'm about to do Iceland registration (pre-registration?) now.  Viking sends link to start you off.  In your case (not traveling right away) you can read the info now but not register: https://visit.covid.is/registration  Have to do on specific time line. I'm almost late. There are 2 basic steps, verifying mobile phone, then registering.  Once do those things, will get confirmation email from Iceland with link to email to get barcode to show authorities at airport in Iceland. Recommended that you print out barcode don't have to fumble on phone or device to find it later. Makes things go faster/smoother. Don't worry, Viking sends plenty of info along the way, but you don't get it right away - probably because things can change and they want things to be current!  To do step 2 need country of depart, arrival date, flight No. & airline, DOB, name on passport, nationality, gender, email addy, country, depart date, mobile no.  Then select "Present valid certific for exception of quarantine/other docs" which will be vax cert.  All that's listed by Viking.   Probably won't have time to report back on process, but haven't heard too many issues with it.  Believe I can do spouse and myself on same go-around but not sure.  Will find out.    

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

33 minutes ago, CruiserDoc said:

Thanks for this info...I'm assuming one can drop their luggage off at the concert hall if they are staying in town, is that correct?

Definitely yes for those with Viking transfers, the luggage is identified in the baggage hall and then it appears in your stateroom. 

I can’t really answer  for you independent travellers who may go to the concert hall under your own steam. I did not see anybody with large luggage items. 

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

The drive to the Vok baths up and over a mountain pass was spectacular.  Throughout the cruise until this point you are always looking up to see the snow covered mountains.  On this drive you are there.  Architecturally the baths building fits visually into its surroundings and is lovely.  The locker rooms are clean.  You use your wristband to lock and open your locker.  The showers are individual, private and required to use before bathing.  Towels are provided and you can take 2 if you wish.  The 3 pools float on the lake each becoming hotter the further you go out.  The first pool has a swim up bar.  Unless you can navigate the stepping stones over the pool, you must enter the first pool in order to reach the next 2.  The lake is 50 ish degrees F and there are ladders to get out.  The spa was reserved for Viking and 2 buses were there with staggered arrival times.  You can try this amazing herbal tea after you are done.  Its included.  Some people brought robes but you really didn't need them.  The ramp into the first pool was very slippery.  It was a very nice relaxing experience.  We did it in the morning as there was no afternoon one when we booked.  I think the surrounding scenery is probably more spectacular at the Husavik Geobaths but we didnt want to miss the Northern Treasures excursion.

Skalanes Nature Center was amazing.  The guide was a hoot!  She had all kinds of tales and stories to tell.  The centers owner is her cousin and i believe she does all the tours.  You drive there in a high 4 wheel drive all terrain type bus.  The road is gravel or there is no road...you ford 3 streams.  Such fun and excitement!  The center houses research projects and people at times who study birds and the environment.  We were greeted by scores of Arctic Terns some with young chirping for food.  There is about a 3/4 mile walk through the property on a gravel path and then up a series of wooden stairs and platforms to a viewing station at the cliffs edge.  Stunning.  We were on the July 17 cruise.  The lupine was still in bloom but past its peak when we were there.  Besides the terns, we saw Kittiwakes, Eider ducks and puffins.  There were other birds that birders better then could spot but i just never got a positive ID and can only guess.  Along the road on the way in we stopped at an archeological site also.

Thanks for great discription

Did you really me the lake was only 50 degrees F....yoh obviously did not swim in it....correct

2 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Definitely yes for those with Viking transfers, the luggage is identified in the baggage hall and then it appears in your stateroom. 

I can’t really answer  for you independent travellers who may go to the concert hall under your own steam. I did not see anybody with large luggage items. 

We are arriving independently.  I emailed Viking Support and was told to go directly to the port.

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I don’t normally like the guitarists much but Paolo changed my mind!  I think he may be the best all around entertainer I’ve seen onboard a Viking ship. 

Sitting in Explorer lounge now...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Viking Sky or more accurately the boat back from Vigur Island aka Puffin City. 

A 30 minute boat ride, and 2 hours on the Island hosted by the delightful felicity. 

We were keen to see Puffins so after the welcome briefing we did hang around to visit the Eider down factory (more of a tin but really) and set off to explore on our own. We keep to mown grass track that we had read about previously here on CC and despite a few dive bombing terns we had a great time. We saw more puffins than the main group before the stop for coffee and cake but afterwards the puffins put on a real show very close by to the little windmill behind the cafe. They had even been fishing and stood perfectly still for us. 

Back for lunch and then a decision about the included tour. Should I stay or should I go? 

TTFN

How lovely.   I think we will be too late for the Puffins.

8 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

How lovely.   I think we will be too late for the Puffins.

If you have time on disembarkation day, there is a 1 hr tour out of Reykjavik to a small island close to the city with something like 30,000 puffins on it. Viator has it.  We liked it a lot.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

If you have time on disembarkation day, there is a 1 hr tour out of Reykjavik to a small island close to the city with something like 30,000 puffins on it. Viator has it.  We liked it a lot.

Will the Puffins be there waiting for us in early September.  We were excited to see the Blue Footed Booby when we went to the Galapagos Is.  I had never even given Puffins a second thought until I started following this thread when it was still on page 1.

4 hours ago, CruiserDoc said:

One can only go to the Harpa Concert hall if they arrive on an early morning flight and have the Viking transfer from the airport.  Later arriving flights are taken by their Viking transfer directly to the ship.  People with private transfers can go directly to the ship but not before 11 AM.  With the Viking transfer you can leave your luggage with the bus and it will go to your room when ready.  If you take a private transfer to the ship, you can leave your luggage there if you wish to go to town.

4 hours ago, susanlik said:

Thanks for great discription

Did you really me the lake was only 50 degrees F....yoh obviously did not swim in it....correct

Yes the lake is in the 50's.  I believe they said 12 degrees C.  You do get hot enough that it is refreshing to jump in the lake.  My husband did it.  I chose not to because i would have had difficulty climbing the ladder to get out.  I regularly use the Viking sauna followed by the cold plunge pool which is about the same temp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I suspect they meant 50°c. Approximately 122°f. 

No sir.  Urridvatn, the lake where the locals discovered that a certain area never froze over in the winter, was about 12 degrees C in July.  The local town developed the Vok Baths around this unique geothermal discovery.  Vok consists of 3 floating and connected pools of increasingly hot temperatures.  The hottest part of each pool is where the water flows into the pool.  The hot baths i would guess range from 108 to 114 degrees F.  I base this on our hot tub that we kept at 106.  And yes, if you jump out of the hot pools the rest of the lake is cold.  So be sure you know where the ladder is before you jump in.  Or you can just sit on a bench outside the hot pools in the 50 degree F air (or colder later in the season) to cool off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Is that the Classic Puffin Tour by Mr. Puffin?  I was thinking of taking that one.  

• Thanks 1