PCR tests for kids now compulsory

kevboy

Just received email from P&O regarding their change in vaccination/ testing protocol prior to cruising September through December.

All adults 18+ must have total vaccines and children must have PCR test 72 hours before embarkation. All testing is complimentary.  I dont have a problem with this but I am concerned that PCR results might not be delivered on time and my whole family will be in a mess at the terminal with very upset grandchildren. 

Who will do the PCR test on children and what happens if results are not delivered on time?

• kevboy changed the title to PCR tests for kids now compulsory

So the positive is, from end of September, families will be allowed to travel, as long as 18 and overs are fully vaccinated.

Many passengers were waiting for that announcement.

There will be a need for a PCR test, very wise and understandable, within 72 hours of travelling.  Unlike some other cruise companies, P&O are including these tests in their fares. 
Well Done P&O.

My guess is if the tests are included P&O will work with a company to provide these tests.  Therefore, if there was a problem with processing them P& O would be aware.

Do we know what would happen No, but P&O have given people what they wanted, family cruising.  Hoping the PCR goes without a hitch is no more stressful than the LFT at the port.  I will test as part of our usual regime before I leave Sunday, but will still be relieved to get the green light from the P&O test at the port.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kevboy said:

Just received email from P&O regarding their change in vaccination/ testing protocol prior to cruising September through December.

All adults 18+ must have total vaccines and children must have PCR test 72 hours before embarkation. All testing is complimentary.  I dont have a problem with this but I am concerned that PCR results might not be delivered on time and my whole family will be in a mess at the terminal with very upset grandchildren. 

Who will do the PCR test on children and what happens if results are not delivered on time?

Just reading up on the Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests and taking into account  that P&O are saying the test should be 72 hours before . They are not 100% , nothing is. False negatives can occur up to 30% of the time with different PCR tests, meaning they’re more useful for confirming the presence of an infection than giving a patient the all-clear. They can also provide false positive results, as they’re so sensitive they can potentially signal a positive result upon detecting dead, deactivated virus still present in the body of someone who has recovered from Covid-19,  from what what I have read .

So you could have a school kid who has not got covid but possibly could show positive even though they are clear . My question is will P&O retest that person via other methods or just not let them board the ship ?  

I hope P&O do have other tests available .:classic_smile:

Edited by kalos

Potentially good news for my Ventura cruise in November, all 18 and over vaccinated and any unvaccinated children required to have a PCR test. At least I think that is the requirement. The rest of us oldies get away with a lateral flow test which I have a pack of and intend to start testing early August. Seven tests in the kit so I expect 6 to be wasted. Probably not many under 18's aboard anyway for a November cruise. Glass House here I come.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, davecttr said:

Seven tests in the kit so I expect 6 to be wasted. Probably not many under 18's aboard anyway for a November cruise.

You will not be supplying your own LFT, P&O will supply that at the port. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Does the recommended self testing before travel only apply to staycation cruises then? 

I think you’ll find they are just recommending the twice weekly testing the Government would like us to do at home anyway.  

So I tested today, and will also test Sunday before driving to Southampton.

On 6/22/2021 at 3:26 PM, kevboy said:

just slightly clarifying this

Under 18s need to either be fully vaccinated OR if not they have to have a PCR test.  Appreciate currently hardly any under 18s will have had a jab, but that could well have changed by Sep through Dec this year. 😊

Edited by rattla
  • Like 1

All very well but grey area for my son he turns 18 in September so a bit in limbo as not under 18 for pcr even though he takes the test twice a week for sixth form and not over 18 enough to have had to have both jabs.

Knew this was coming so we cancelled our cruise in October .

Hopefully we will eventually get back cruising with P&O soon.