Is Covid specific insurance required for fully vaccinated passengers

drsel

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Do you know if there is a way to upload that vaccination certificate?

No.

Original hard copy with QR code is required as proof of vaccination

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

from MSC USA website regarding Europe cruises  - see last bullet point?!   And in the FAQ it says that if you buy your own private insurance you must still then buy this Travel Protection Plan which is 150$ per person! 

We will deny boarding in case of:
• Symptoms such as fever (>99.5 F / 37.5 C), cough, shortness of breath, chills, muscle/body aches, fatigue, headache, sore throat and loss of taste/smell within 14 days of embarkation
• Potential exposure to a suspected or confirmed case of  COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation
• Temporary travel restrictions based on local circumstances. For example, certain countries may deny visas or prohibit entry based on travel history or nationality.
• Failure to provide the proof of the mandatory Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 insurance policy (which must be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish) 

1 minute ago, scotia_girl said:

from MSC USA website regarding Europe cruises  - see last bullet point?!   And in the FAQ it says that if you buy your own private insurance you must still then buy this Travel Protection Plan which is 150$ per person! 

We will deny boarding in case of:
• Symptoms such as fever (>99.5 F / 37.5 C), cough, shortness of breath, chills, muscle/body aches, fatigue, headache, sore throat and loss of taste/smell within 14 days of embarkation
• Potential exposure to a suspected or confirmed case of  COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation
• Temporary travel restrictions based on local circumstances. For example, certain countries may deny visas or prohibit entry based on travel history or nationality.
• Failure to provide the proof of the mandatory Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 insurance policy (which must be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish) 

From FAQ is travel insurance required? 

- Is insurance required to travel?

Yes, the Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 is required for guests who are both fully vaccinated and not fully vaccinated or unable or unwilling to provide proof of vaccination. If you do not purchase the Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19, you will be denied boarding. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your cruise. If you’ve already booked your cruise and have not purchased the Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19, you may call 844-546-8256, if you booked direct with MSC Cruises, or contact your travel advisor to add this to your booking prior to final payment. Guests that purchase the insurance offered by MSC Cruises do not need to present  insurance documentation, as this information will be included on your reservation and visible to the terminal agent. 

For guests wanting to purchase their own travel insurance, it is required to provide coverage for COVID-19 protection in accordance to the coverage MSC is providing (click here to find out more). If the guest chooses to buy their own travel insurance, COVID-19 Protection Services must also be purchased (visit our FAQ for more details). Guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises must provide proof of their valid travel insurance policy that has a minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation, both with no COVID-19 exclusions.  The insurance policy must name the guest as the policy holder or beneficiary.  Guests must bring a printed version of the insurance policy, showing the name of each of the covered guest(s) and a description of the coverage in the policy. This documentation will be reviewed by our staff at the terminal prior to boarding. In addition, guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises will also be required to purchase our COVID-19 Protection Services. The COVID-19 Protection Services is for all guests 3 years and older and cost: $100 per guest for cruises 4 nights or less; $150 per guest for cruises 5 nights or longer. This protection service can be purchased prior to your cruise by calling 844-546-8256, if you booked direct with MSC Cruises, or contact your travel advisor to add this to your booking prior to final payment.

2 hours ago, scotia_girl said:

Yes, the Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 is required for guests who are both fully vaccinated and not fully vaccinated or unable or unwilling to provide proof of vaccination. If you do not purchase the Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19, you will be denied boarding. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your cruise. If you’ve already booked your cruise and have not purchased the Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19, you may call 844-546-8256, if you booked direct with MSC Cruises, or contact your travel advisor to add this to your booking prior to final payment. Guests that purchase the insurance offered by MSC Cruises do not need to present  insurance documentation, as this information will be included on your reservation and visible to the terminal agent. 

For guests wanting to purchase their own travel insurance, it is required to provide coverage for COVID-19 protection in accordance to the coverage MSC is providing (click here to find out more). If the guest chooses to buy their own travel insurance, COVID-19 Protection Services must also be purchased (visit our FAQ for more details). Guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises must provide proof of their valid travel insurance policy that has a minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation, both with no COVID-19 exclusions.  The insurance policy must name the guest as the policy holder or beneficiary.  Guests must bring a printed version of the insurance policy, showing the name of each of the covered guest(s) and a description of the coverage in the policy. This documentation will be reviewed by our staff at the terminal prior to boarding. In addition, guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises will also be required to purchase our COVID-19 Protection Services. The COVID-19 Protection Services is for all guests 3 years and older and cost: $100 per guest for cruises 4 nights or less; $150 per guest for cruises 5 nights or longer. This protection service can be purchased prior to your cruise by calling 844-546-8256, if you booked direct with MSC Cruises, or contact your travel advisor to add this to your booking prior to final payment.

An important caveat:    This insurance is provided for free to passengers will full vaccination.  Anti-vaxers will be required to purchase and pay for it themselves.   

insurance_final.pdf

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

An important caveat:    This insurance is provided for free to passengers will full vaccination.  Anti-vaxers will be required to purchase and pay for it themselves.   

insurance_final.pdf 1.2 MB · 7 downloads

This is ONLY for cruises out of USA, not Europe.

For Europe, what Scotia said is valid

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scotia_girl said:

Even if our private insurance covers Covid for minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation, both with no COVID-19 exclusions; still do we have to pay MSC $150 per person?

Can we pay after making final payment

On 7/17/2021 at 10:21 AM, MotownVoice said:

insurance_final.pdf 1.2 MB · 14 downloads

Ahoy MotownVoice 

I did see this before somewhere on the MSCUSA website.   Under the Health & Safety area, there is some small print mentioned the MSC Cruises Covid 19 Reassurance for fully vaccinated.     

MSC CRUISES COVID-19 REASSURANCE DETAILS FOR FULLY VACCINATED  

For sailings on or before October 31, 2021, the following MSC Cruises COVID-19 Reassurance will be provided at no extra charge for fully vaccinated guests (with required proof of vaccination) as it relates to COVID-19 protection services:

• 100% cruise fare refund or future cruise credit for you, and your Travelling Party*, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.
• Pro-rated cruise fare refund or future cruise credit for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
• If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, MSC Cruises will cover COVID-19 related costs as follows:  emergency medical transportation (up to $10,000), medical treatment (up to $10,000), any required land-based quarantine, including lodging and meals (up to $4,000), and transportation home for you and your Travelling Party (up to $1,000). View description coverage/policy here.

On 7/2/2021 at 3:41 PM, Stockjock said:

Do you know if there is a way to upload that vaccination certificate?

Yes is Maine we have the CDC paper card for vaccination proof , no QR code etc. 

I called MSC yesterday (07/18/21) and rep confirmed insurance not required for fully vaccinated people from US.  I told her about all this chatter and uncertainity and fear of denied boarding she said not needed if Vaccinated. I did buy the MSC Travel Protection Plan for 82$ for the family of 4 , unreally unsure what this covers just wanted to have most bases covered. I plan to call back in a month or so to see if story changes. Sailing Oct 6th out of Lisbon 

5 hours ago, scotia_girl said:

Yes is Maine we have the CDC paper card for vaccination proof , no QR code etc. 

I called MSC yesterday (07/18/21) and rep confirmed insurance not required for fully vaccinated people from US.  I told her about all this chatter and uncertainity and fear of denied boarding she said not needed if Vaccinated. I did buy the MSC Travel Protection Plan for 82$ for the family of 4 , unreally unsure what this covers just wanted to have most bases covered. I plan to call back in a month or so to see if story changes. Sailing Oct 6th out of Lisbon 

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/europe-cruises

This specifies you have to buy the MSc travel protection plan @$150 even if you are fully vaccinated

Edited by drsel

15 hours ago, scotia_girl said:

I did buy the MSC Travel Protection Plan for 82$ for the family of 4 , unreally unsure what this covers just wanted to have most bases covered. I plan to call back in a month or so to see if story changes. Sailing Oct 6th out of Lisbon 

May I ask, how and where did you purchase this at $28?  Other posters are saying the MSC Travel Protection Plan is $150 per person for U.S. citizens.

10 hours ago, doublebzz said:

Other posters are saying the MSC Travel Protection Plan is $150 per person for U.S. citizens.

According to the latest website information I've seen for EU sailings MSC US is requiring the purchase of their COVID-19 specific plan but not their Travel Protection plan - although MSC is requiring that you must have a Travel Protection plan of your own if not purchasing theirs.  The basic Travel Protection plan premiums offered by MSC are based on the cost of the cruise, and $82 is not unusual, while the MSC COVID-19 plans is per person based on cruise length, $100 for up to four nights and $150 for five nights or more.  You can only buy the MSC Travel Protection plan if you are before final payment.  You can add these to your booking by calling MSC US at +1 833-244-0233, or through your travel agent.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/europe-cruises

Also read the FAQ's at the bottom.

8 hours ago, doublebzz said:

Are you saying that there are two different insurance plans required?  I don't read it that way but its so poorly worded that any interpretation is possible.

MSC US seems to now offer it two ways. 

One is just the COVID-19 only Reassurance plan that is offered free to US bookings that sail from the US if the passengers are vaccinated.  On US bookings for EU sailings it states this specific MSC policy is required (vaccinated or not)  and costs from $100 to $150 per person.

Then there's the complete Travel Protection with COVID-19 coverage that combines typical travel protection with a COVID-19 specific add on.  It is optional for all US based sailings if you are vaccinated, but required if you are not.  The price varies by your cruise cost, which is typical for that type of insurance.  MSC states some form of travel protection is also required for all EU sailings (vaccinated or not) but you can purchase your own if it meets MSC's specifications and then just take their COVID-19 only plan mentioned above.

DCGuy64 has posted he was required to purchase insurance for his EU sailing that was more than the $150 per person so I think he was able to purchase the full Travel Protection plan.  Contrary to their FAQ MSC let him purchase it after final payment, probably because these insurance requirement were not in effect when he made final payment.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

Edited by Até

As a reminder, certain credit cards may provide coverage for trip interruptions which may include covid.  If your card offers this, you must put the entire flight and/or cruise on the credit card.  

In my case, I use American Express Platinum.  While the annual fee has increased to $695 per year, I get it free as a customer via the "major Wall Street firm" I work for.  Terms and conditions apply of course, and following the fine print is very important.  

I may have shared this, but here's the story of a fellow who booked a trip using frequent flyer miles and only put the taxes and fees on his Amex Platinum, which I think were under $100 USD.  His dad had a serious medical emergency and American Express ended up paying $275,000 to fly a medical team to his father's location and air evacuate his dad back to the USA.

https://viewfromthewing.com/know-benefits-amex-platinum-medical-evacuation-claim-award-ticket-saves-275000/

Edited by Stockjock

10 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

As a reminder, certain credit cards may provide coverage for trip interruptions which may include covid.  If your card offers this, you must put the entire flight and/or cruise on the credit card.  

In my case, I use American Express Platinum.  While the annual fee has increased to $695 per year, I get it free as a customer via the "major Wall Street firm" I work for.  Terms and conditions apply of course, and following the fine print is very important.  

I may have shared this, but here's the story of a fellow who booked a trip using frequent flyer miles and only put the taxes and fees on his Amex Platinum, which I think were under $100 USD.  His dad had a serious medical emergency and American Express ended up paying $275,000 to fly a medical team to his father's location and air evacuate his dad back to the USA.

https://viewfromthewing.com/know-benefits-amex-platinum-medical-evacuation-claim-award-ticket-saves-275000/

I have this as well.  But from what I'm reading, one must buy the MSC plan either directly or through your TA.

56 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

I have this as well.  But from what I'm reading, one must buy the MSC plan either directly or through your TA.

So far, they haven't mentioned that I need this for my fall sailing out of Europe.  I suppose time will tell.

8 hours ago, Stockjock said:

So far, they haven't mentioned that I need this for my fall sailing out of Europe.  I suppose time will tell.

They have not informed any of us that ALL passengers (vaccinated or not)  need to BUY the Travel Protection plan for Europe cruises.

But it is clearly stated on the US website that we will be DENIED BOARDING if we don't have it.

You are advised to call your TA or MSC USA & buy it for $150 or $175 per person, if you are definitely sailing.

Credit card insurance or any other travel insurance is NOT ACCEPTABLE  to allow boarding.

I'm thinking of transferring my full payment to Europe cruises in 2022

10 hours ago, Até said:

MSC US seems to now offer it two ways. 

One is just the COVID-19 only Reassurance plan. On US bookings for EU sailings it states this specific MSC policy is required (vaccinated or not)  and costs from $100 to $150 per person.

Then there's the complete Travel Protection with COVID-19 coverage that combines typical travel protection with a COVID-19 specific add on.

The price varies by your cruise cost, which is typical for that type of insurance.  MSC states some form of travel protection is also required for all EU sailings (vaccinated or not) but you can purchase your own if it meets MSC's specifications and then just take their COVID-19 only plan mentioned above.

DCGuy64 has posted he was required to purchase insurance for his EU sailing that was more than the $150 per person so I think he was able to purchase the full Travel Protection plan.  Contrary to their FAQ MSC let him purchase it after final payment, probably because these insurance requirement were not in effect when he made final payment.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

But does the Covid only Reassurance plan cost the same $150 as the complete Travel Protection plan for an ordinary cabin (non Yacht club)  on 7 night Europe cruises?

So, for Europe sailings, I guess it is MANDATORY to BUY  the Covid only Reassurance Plan from MSC (even after final payment);   provided we have our own private travel insurance with Covid cover included.

Edited by drsel

I'm planning to transfer my full payment to Europe cruises before Sep 30, 2022, which are double the cost of what i booked for Oct 2021.

I think this 100% payment transfer is allowed even for fully paid cruises upto 48 hours prior to sailing, without any fee, charge or penalty.

Edited by drsel

14 hours ago, Até said:

I would assume that, as well. Maybe it's worth pointing out our timeline:

We had a cruise booked on the MSC Preziosa May 19-25, 2020. Cancelled by MSC due to Covid.

We'd already made final payment (in February 2020), so in August 2020 I had our TA transfer the money to a new booking in July 2021 sailing on the Virtuosa to Norway and Germany from Denmark. When things looked iffy regarding Americans being allowed into Europe, we decided to move it to August 29. Then, in May, MSC rerouted the Virtuosa to the UK and substituted the Seaview. It also changed the itinerary, to Sweden and Estonia. We didn't like that itinerary so we had him change it to the Splendida sailing from Trieste on August 28. That was done June 18, and we had to make final payment immediately. MSC requires us to use the same booking number as our cancelled May 2020 cruise (which was booked in July 2019), so this episode is now 2 years in the making.

There was no insurance requirement until very recently, and as @Até says, that's probably why they allowed us to purchase it after final payment date.

5 hours ago, drsel said:

I think this 100% payment transfer is allowed even for fully paid cruises upto 48 hours prior to sailing, without any fee, charge or penalty.

If you booked in US and your booking date was after August 5th, 2020 you can cancel for a FCC up to 48 hours before sailing under the Total CruiseFlex plan.  You don't have to immediately re-book but can only wait until September 30th, 2021 and the new cruise must sail by September 30th, 2022.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/total-cruiseflex

I still have questions about this mandatory European Covid Insurance purchase situation.  

When I spoke to an agent a couple of weeks ago, she said it was not required.  Also, stating that passengers must buy their expensive insurance before final payment (can't buy it after) and then denying them boarding doesn't make sense to me.

By that logic, let's say you spent $3,000 on a cruise.  Agent tells you their insurance isn't needed, so you don't buy it.  They they turn you away at the port and tell you to fly back home.  I'm not believing they'd do that.

Or, again by that logic, you find out about the insurance after final payment (which they're still not mentioning).  You try to buy it, but are refused, because as is written, must be bought before final payment.  Then they turn you away at the port and tell you to go home.  Again, doesn't seem logical.

Edited by Stockjock