Is Covid specific insurance required for fully vaccinated passengers

drsel

26 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I still have questions about this mandatory European Covid Insurance purchase situation.  

When I spoke to an agent a couple of weeks ago, she said it was not required.  Also, stating that passengers must buy their expensive insurance before final payment (can't buy it after) and then denying them boarding doesn't make sense to me.

By that logic, let's say you spent $3,000 on a cruise.  Agent tells you their insurance isn't needed, so you don't buy it.  They they turn you away at the port and tell you to fly back home.  I'm not believing they'd do that.

Or, again by that logic, you find out about the insurance after final payment (which they're still not mentioning).  You try to buy it, but are refused, because as is written, must be bought before final payment.  Then they turn you away at the port and tell you to go home.  Again, doesn't seem logical.

DC guy confirmed that you can buy the MSC Travel Protection plan much after final payment,

He just bought it yesterday for $175 per person, even though his final payment was in June.

MSc Travel Protection plan is mandatory for cruises sailing of Europe from 1st August 2021.

you will be denied boarding if you don't have it

I would advise you to phone MSc or your travel agent and buy it immediately, if you are definitely planning to Cruise in Europe after 1st August 2021.

They will not refuse you.

Edited by drsel

Right now it's very clear that everyone (vaccinated or not) on a Europe  Cruise from 1st August 2021, HAS to purchase the full Travel Protection plan ONLY,  whatever the cost.

Without this he will be denied boarding.

This is regardless of any other travel insurance he may have bought with Covid coverage included.

Some who sailed in July were not asked for proof of this Travel Protection plan, because it is mandatory only from 1st August 2021.

The Covid only protection service is given free to fully vaccinated passengers ONLY for cruises out of USA and is not relevant/not applicable/not available for cruises out of Europe.

This web page has been modified to include all information in one page without having to read the FAQs

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/europe-cruises

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

When I spoke to an agent a couple of weeks ago, she said it was not required.  Also, stating that passengers must buy their expensive insurance before final payment (can't buy it after) and then denying them boarding doesn't make sense to me.

A couple weeks ago the policy was different, plus unfortunately we all know how much to trust the phone agents knowledge of recent changes.  As on another similar thread I will just post the current version of the Terms & Conditions that you will be forced to agree to when getting your boarding documents.  Specifically read section four that states that right up to boarding you must follow the current changes to the MSC US website's Health and Safety page regarding COVID-19 protocols and insurance requirements.

Booking-Terms-and-Conditions July, 2021.pdf

6 minutes ago, Até said:

A couple weeks ago the policy was different, plus unfortunately we all know how much to trust the phone agents knowledge of recent changes.  As on another similar thread I will just post the current version of the Terms & Conditions that you will be forced to agree to when getting your boarding documents.  Specifically read section four that states that right up to boarding you must follow the current changes to the MSC US website's Health and Safety page regarding COVID-19 protocols and insurance requirements.

Booking-Terms-and-Conditions July, 2021.pdf 296.97 kB · 0 downloads

The way I look at it is that I will be allowed to buy coverage after final payment late next month, if required.  So I'll hold off to see if the policy changes.  Things are fluid and ever-changing.  I do think my Amex Platinum insurance will cover me, but again, I see no reason to rush into a purchase that may ultimately not be required.

I've got 4 months until the ship sails and a lot can happen in 4 months.

Edited by Stockjock

17 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

The way I look at it is that I will be allowed to buy coverage after final payment late next month, if required.  So I'll hold off to see if the policy changes.  Things are fluid and ever-changing.  I do think my Amex Platinum insurance will cover me, but again, I see no reason to rush into a purchase that may ultimately not be required.

I can't argue too much with that idea, there are other options if MSC later refuses you their policy.  MSC has sent me "Urgent action required" emails about sailings next Spring.  They want me to acknowledge the current Health & Safety/COVID-19 parts of the Terms & Conditions and buy the insurance.  I'm not doing it at this time either but may eventually get forced, and I haven't decided what I'll do when final payment is due.

Edited by Até

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Right now it's very clear that everyone (vaccinated or not) on a Europe  Cruise from 1st August 2021, HAS to purchase the full Travel Protection plan ONLY,  whatever the cost.

Without this he will be denied boarding.

This is regardless of any other travel insurance he may have bought with Covid coverage included.

Some who sailed in July were not asked for proof of this Travel Protection plan, because it is mandatory only from 1st August 2021.

The Covid only protection service is given free to fully vaccinated passengers ONLY for cruises out of USA and is not relevant/not applicable/not available for cruises out of Europe.

This web page has been modified to include all information in one page without having to read the FAQs

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/europe-cruises

When I use the above helpful link, and then click on the orange "coverage/policy" I find this language: 

MSC Cruises Travel & COVID-19 Reassurance will be provided at no extra charge for guests who are fully vaccinated, kids under 12 years old traveling with fully vaccinated parents/guardians, (within 90 days of sail date with proof of vaccination). Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 is a required purchase for guests not fully vaccinated or unable or unwilling to provide proof of vaccination (within 90 days of sailing date), as well as kids under12 years old traveling with parents/guardians that are not fully vaccinated

I'm American, fully vaccinated and I sail out of Naples, Italy in September (I hope!) MSC told me just last week that I didn't need to purchase the insurance. The above language from their site appears to support that statement! Not sure what to do from here!

25 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I agree completely with you as the situation seems so fluid.  I have a Sep 18th cruise and will probably wait until mid-August before I commit to more insurance.  Not only do I have the $20,000 coverage provided by my credit card, but, as a military retiree, I have total medical coverage world-wide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

I agree with everything you say.

Even I am planning to buy insurance 1 month prior to sailing and two months after final payment.

57 minutes ago, CelebrationFamily said:

When I use the above helpful link, and then click on the orange "coverage/policy" I find this language: 

MSC Cruises Travel & COVID-19 Reassurance will be provided at no extra charge for guests who are fully vaccinated, kids under 12 years old traveling with fully vaccinated parents/guardians, (within 90 days of sail date with proof of vaccination). Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 is a required purchase for guests not fully vaccinated or unable or unwilling to provide proof of vaccination (within 90 days of sailing date), as well as kids under12 years old traveling with parents/guardians that are not fully vaccinated

As of now, these terms are for Cruises out of USA only.

Hopefully, they will soon be extended to include all cruises out of Europe also.

Hence I would rather wait until a month prior to sailing and then see if the Travel protection plan is mandatory or not

Edited by drsel
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, CelebrationFamily said:

Even though the site doesn't say USA only??? By the time I have this figured out, I'm sure it will change! 😉 Oh, the joys of attempting cruise travel right now! 🤪

This is what it says specifically for Europe Cruises--

Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 insurance through MSC Cruises is required for both fully and not fully vaccinated guests. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking. You will be denied boarding if insurance is not purchased. View description of coverage/policy here.

A COVID-19 test or Passenger locator form (PLF) may still be necessary for national or international mobility requirement: it’s every guest’s responsibility to verify this requirement before departure. In addition, a Passenger Locator Form needs as well to be filled in before entering in Italy (more information here).

The original test results certificate or vaccination or recovery certificate must be presented at the terminal (paper or electronic format) and must be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish. 

We will deny boarding in case of:
• Symptoms such as fever (>99.5 F / 37.5 C), cough, shortness of breath, chills, muscle/body aches, fatigue, headache, sore throat and loss of taste/smell within 14 days of embarkation
• Potential exposure to a suspected or confirmed case of  COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation
• Temporary travel restrictions based on local circumstances. For example, certain countries may deny visas or prohibit entry based on travel history or nationality.
Failure to provide the proof of the mandatory Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 insurance policy (which must be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CelebrationFamily said:

When I use the above helpful link, and then click on the orange "coverage/policy" I find this...

Read the sentences right before the link.

Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 insurance through MSC Cruises is required for both fully and not fully vaccinated guests. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking. You will be denied boarding if insurance is not purchased. View description of coverage/policy here.

Also read the Travel Requirements FAQ at the bottom of the EU Health & Safety page, one is specific to the insurance.  Both the US and EU Health & Safety pages link to that same coverage Comparison PDF.  The US sailings Health & Safety page specifically states the COVID-19 Reassurance is free for vaccinated on US based sailings, the PDF misleadingly repeats that when it should specify only US sailings get it free. 

Edited by Até
  • Like 3

For what it’s worth, I booked a European December cruise tonight (July 22.) During the booking process, MSC’s website make the rules very clear: For ships leaving from a US port, Covid insurance is mandatory for unvaccinated, but optional for fully vaccinated. For ships not leaving from a US port, Covid insurance is mandatory for both vaccinated and unvaccinated. I went ahead and bought their insurance for $68 (sailing solo.) Of course things could be completely different tomorrow, but that’s how it worked tonight. 

12 hours ago, zekekelso said:

, I booked a European December cruise . For ships not leaving from a US port, Covid insurance is mandatory for both vaccinated and unvaccinated. I went ahead and bought their insurance for $68 (sailing solo.) Of course things could be completely different tomorrow, but that’s how it worked tonight. 

So I guess for Europe cruises, the minimum mandatory MSC Covid Reassurance costs $68 per person, (if you already have your own private travel insurance with Covid specific cover mentioned clearly) while the full MSC Travel Protection  plan costs $150 or $175 per person (if you don't have any insurance at all).

What will the cost be for the $68 MSC Covid Reassurance or $150 full MSC Travel Protection plan for multiple Cruises over one month or two months?

Edited by drsel

17 hours ago, zekekelso said:

For what it’s worth, I booked a European December cruise tonight (July 22.) During the booking process, MSC’s website make the rules very clear: For ships leaving from a US port, Covid insurance is mandatory for unvaccinated, but optional for fully vaccinated. For ships not leaving from a US port, Covid insurance is mandatory for both vaccinated and unvaccinated. I went ahead and bought their insurance for $68 (sailing solo.) Of course things could be completely different tomorrow, but that’s how it worked tonight. 

EDIT: Upon reading my documentation, it’s not clear what I bought for the $68. Very confusing. 

56 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

EDIT: Upon reading my documentation, it’s not clear what I bought for the $68. Very confusing. 

Edit to edit: I just got off the phone with somebody at MSC. (Only about five minutes on hold btw) He said the insurance I bought from them for $68 does meet the requirement. Confusing since I read the policy and didn’t see any mention of Covid. Oh well, I guess I’ll know for sure when I try to get on the ship in November. 

7 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Edit to edit: I just got off the phone with somebody at MSC. (Only about five minutes on hold btw) He said the insurance I bought from them for $68 does meet the requirement. Confusing since I read the policy and didn’t see any mention of Covid. Oh well, I guess I’ll know for sure when I try to get on the ship in November. 

1. Can we buy this $68 minimum mandatory cover directly from MSC USA if we have booked through a travel agent?

2. Are there long term covers available for one month or two months?

Edited by drsel

On 6/25/2021 at 9:00 PM, drsel said:

We will be fully vaccinated for sure. (It's too risky and dangerous to be on a cruise ship without full vaccination).

But we are planning to buy a regular travel insurance, like we always do.

It is not a cruise specific, nor a covid specific insurance. I hope that it will suffice for fully vaccinated passengers.

We don't buy Cruise specific insurance, because any medical emergency treatment can be done on land,(  in the next port).

Medical emergency treatment on land is covered by the general travel insurance. (But not beyond 2 miles from the coast line)

In any case, medical treatment onboard is very basic

I may be basic .. but .. very expensive!   

OK, experts...one more question. I am a fully vaccinated American sailing the Seashore out of Naples, Italy in late September. When I purchased the cruise (last week,) I was told there was no need for the MSC travel protection plan. After reading this board, I called and asked to add the TPP with Covid 19 coverage. I was quoted $105 per passenger (not $150 or $175 as others have noted,) so I immediately asked whether this was the correct plan. The agent laughed and said of course. I paid and just now received my insurance email. I don't see Covid 19 specifically mentioned anywhere on the policy. I assume this means the wrong plan and another call to MSC, but thought I'd check in with you all first. Am I being paranoid? TIA for your helpful responses! (Also, with this kind of misinformation, how many people actually show up to the port with the correct coverage???)

42 minutes ago, CelebrationFamily said:

I am a fully vaccinated American sailing the Seashore out of Naples, Italy in late September. When I purchased the cruise (last week,) I was told there was no need for the MSC travel protection plan. After reading this board, I called and asked to add the TPP with Covid 19 coverage. I was quoted $105 per passenger (not $150 or $175 as others have noted,) so I immediately asked whether this was the correct plan....

The fixed rate $150 (up to four night) to $175pp (5+ nights) mentioned is for the COVID-19 only "Reassurance" plan, needed only if you want to opt out of the semi-mandatory full Travel Protection plan needed for US citizens on EU sailings.  Not a good deal, it seems to me that they are trying to penalize people for not purchasing the MSC Travel Protection Plan.  Your price seems typical for the full Travel Protection plan which price varies based on the cost of your cruise.  It would be good if MSC provided a link to the actual insurer policies like they did when the Health & Safety plans were first announced.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

37 minutes ago, Até said:

The fixed rate $150 (up to four night) to $175pp (5+ nights) mentioned is for the COVID-19 only "Reassurance" plan, needed only if you want to opt out of the semi-mandatory full Travel Protection plan needed for US citizens on EU sailings.  Not a good deal, it seems to me that they are trying to penalize people for not purchasing the MSC Travel Protection Plan.  Your price seems typical for the full Travel Protection plan which price varies based on the cost of your cruise.  It would be good if MSC provided a link to the actual insurer policies like they did when the Health & Safety plans were first announced.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

Ok, forgive me please, but one more question 🤪...I've purchased the $105 CSA plan through MSC, per the MSC agent's suggestion...am I set? Or do I need to call back and insist on the $175 plan????

13 minutes ago, CelebrationFamily said:

I've purchased the $105 CSA plan through MSC, per the MSC agent's suggestion...am I set? Or do I need to call back and insist on the $175 plan????

I don't think there's any reason to buy the COVID-19 only Reassurance plan.  But what I would do is go to the MSC website and do a mock booking of your cruise.  Pick the same sailing and number/ages of people.  Use whatever cabin category gets you close to the same total price as your currently booked sailing.  Go through entering the passenger info, just make it up but it requires names, dates and just use a fake email/phone etc....  Before the payment page will be the insurance option for the full Travel Protection Plan.  The price per person should be very close to what you paid.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CelebrationFamily said:

Ok, forgive me please, but one more question 🤪...I've purchased the $105 CSA plan through MSC, per the MSC agent's suggestion...am I set? Or do I need to call back and insist on the $175 plan????

From what I remember, the mandatory MSC covid-19 reassurance costs $100 for up to four nights and $150 for 5 nights and above for Europe cruises.

This is mandatory and applicable if you already have another private travel insurance which includes covid specific cover.

If you do not have any other insurance then I suggest you switch to the MSC full travel protection plan which might be $175 or more