Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Tried again and it is now letting me amend dining bookings, does the medallion app often play tricks on you?

If by often, you mean all the darned time, then for some posters, the answer is absolutely yes!  Knock on wood, fingers crossed, I've never had any issues at all.  I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

• Haha 1

Has anyone tried to order the medallion apps on the website?  If so, do you know if they run that store on a Commodore 64 or a Vic 20?  That has to be the slowest website store I have ever seen!

Here we go again...

Every time I book another Princess cruise I run into issues with this bleeping app! It really does put me off sailing with them - I LOVE the functionality once on the ship, but forcing everyone to do pre-cruise stuff on an app that just doesn't work well is beyond frustrating. Here are my issues this time (maybe some of you have experienced them and can eliminate my need to call support AGAIN):

- I have the premiere package attached to my booking. It shows up fine on the website and on the travel summary. On the app, it tells me I have no packages. Why?

- I want to book the specialty dining that comes included with the package but, obviously, I can't do so unless I pay as the app doesn't see my package. I recall in the early days you couldn't book until on the ship but I thought that had changed (I'm almost positive I was able to book it ahead of time on my sailing in December). Anyone know for sure?

- I'm running into the endless spinning wheel of doom each time I click on anything. This seemed to have been resolved, but is now back. Sigh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

- I'm running into the endless spinning wheel of doom each time I click on anything. This seemed to have been resolved, but is now back. Sigh.

I run into the circle from the depths of hell myself.  In fact, I was wondering why my phone had lost so much power over a couple of hours.  It's because that circle was still circling. 

The only way out is to force stop the app!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Here we go again...

Every time I book another Princess cruise I run into issues with this bleeping app! It really does put me off sailing with them - I LOVE the functionality once on the ship, but forcing everyone to do pre-cruise stuff on an app that just doesn't work well is beyond frustrating. Here are my issues this time (maybe some of you have experienced them and can eliminate my need to call support AGAIN):

- I have the premiere package attached to my booking. It shows up fine on the website and on the travel summary. On the app, it tells me I have no packages. Why?

- I want to book the specialty dining that comes included with the package but, obviously, I can't do so unless I pay as the app doesn't see my package. I recall in the early days you couldn't book until on the ship but I thought that had changed (I'm almost positive I was able to book it ahead of time on my sailing in December). Anyone know for sure?

I can't say how it works for people with the Premier Package - but I have booked specialty dining on both our Nov and Feb cruises.  We are elite and have not made final payment.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

I can't say how it works for people with the Premier Package - but I have booked specialty dining on both our Nov and Feb cruises.  We are elite and have not made final payment.

Yeah - I can book it but it wants me to pay. Not going to do that.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

- I want to book the specialty dining that comes included with the package but, obviously, I can't do so unless I pay as the app doesn't see my package.

Just checked and it looks to me like you can book specialty dining in the online version.

https://oceanready-personalinfo-ui.prod.ocean.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Yeah - it still wants me to pay

I would recommend that you complete the reservation and see if it charges you and then zeros out right away. I've had that happen with the app. It showed the charge then showed the correction and a final total of zero. If it doesn't do that for you then you can always simply cancel the reservation and will be no worse off than you are now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I would recommend that you complete the reservation and see if it charges you and then zeros out right away. I've had that happen with the app. It showed the charge then showed the correction and a final total of zero. If it doesn't do that for you then you can always simply cancel the reservation and will be no worse off than you are now.

No luck - thanks for the suggestion, though.

I tried the live chat online and the rep confirmed I had the package. Yeah. I know that. It started off well as he offered to book from his end, took all the info, and said "just give me a minute". I waited and I waited and I waited and I waited. After 20 minutes I typed "are you still there?" Nothing. Gave it another 10 and then gave up. Sigh. I've now sent an email to the medallion app folks. It shouldn't have to be this frustrating every single time. It's a shame as I really do like the app once on the ship....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

No luck - thanks for the suggestion, though.

I tried the live chat online and the rep confirmed I had the package. Yeah. I know that. It started off well as he offered to book from his end, took all the info, and said "just give me a minute". I waited and I waited and I waited and I waited. After 20 minutes I typed "are you still there?" Nothing. Gave it another 10 and then gave up. Sigh. I've now sent an email to the medallion app folks. It shouldn't have to be this frustrating every single time. It's a shame as I really do like the app once on the ship....

You are right! It is one of the most frustrating things about the app. I am especially perturbed when their own staff suggest paying for the specialty dining reservation and then get the credit as OBC once on board the ship when even they cannot grab a free credit from the paid premiere package!!! Grrr..... 

On our last cruise back in April, that's what we had to do. And once on board, we were told so many conflicting stories AND WASTED SO MUCH TIME trying to get the OBC credit. One person took our information and said she would get back with us and two days later NOTHING. At guest services, one employee said it would have to be refunded back to our credit card. Finally, one of the very best guest services workers (Lester), clicked a few buttons and we had the OBC credits. So frustrating. So much time wasted.

Interestingly enough, however, on my upcoming cruise in Australia, I am able to schedule the specialty dining reservations on the app without having to pay. I thought perhaps they would "disappear" the next day....but they're still there a month later!!  Yahoo!!!  Now watch, they'll be gone when I get onboard!! 🤣

21 hours ago, bjkTX said:

I wonder if there is something about the timing of when the original cruise was booked and when they implemented the new premier package. Perhaps on bookings made before the new package was launched that those sailings cannot grab their premiere credits while those that were booked after the launch date can.  Something to ponder.....but it all requires great patience regardless when it comes to the app.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

You are right! It is one of the most frustrating things about the app. I am especially perturbed when their own staff suggest paying for the specialty dining reservation and then get the credit as OBC once on board the ship when even they cannot grab a free credit from the paid premiere package!!! Grrr..... 

On our last cruise back in April, that's what we had to do. And once on board, we were told so many conflicting stories AND WASTED SO MUCH TIME trying to get the OBC credit. One person took our information and said she would get back with us and two days later NOTHING. At guest services, one employee said it would have to be refunded back to our credit card. Finally, one of the very best guest services workers (Lester), clicked a few buttons and we had the OBC credits. So frustrating. So much time wasted.

Interestingly enough, however, on my upcoming cruise in Australia, I am able to schedule the specialty dining reservations on the app without having to pay. I thought perhaps they would "disappear" the next day....but they're still there a month later!!  Yahoo!!!  Now watch, they'll be gone when I get onboard!! 🤣

I don't really want to go that route as it's only a short cruise (which is also why I want to get the dining booked - if I can't get a reservation once onboard I will be MAD) and I already have more than enough OBC to use. The whole "refund back to card" thing can take weeks. Who has time to stand in line with guest services on a cruise? Not me. It's frustrating as it's hit or miss - last cruise I had no issue reserving the dining and not paying. This cruise (which I literally just booked) the package isn't even showing up for me on the app, so I assume that is why it won't let me book without paying (it also wants me to pay for wifi). The only reason I got the premier is to reserve the dining...ugh. Hopefully the ocean support folks can fix it...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I don't really want to go that route as it's only a short cruise (which is also why I want to get the dining booked - if I can't get a reservation once onboard I will be MAD) and I already have more than enough OBC to use. The whole "refund back to card" thing can take weeks. Who has time to stand in line with guest services on a cruise? Not me. It's frustrating as it's hit or miss - last cruise I had no issue reserving the dining and not paying. This cruise (which I literally just booked) the package isn't even showing up for me on the app, so I assume that is why it won't let me book without paying (it also wants me to pay for wifi). The only reason I got the premier is to reserve the dining...ugh. Hopefully the ocean support folks can fix it...

Do you find with all the Princess App frustrations and issues that you are recommending other lines to clients who aren't decided as to which line they want to go on for a particular itinerary?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Do you find with all the Princess App frustrations and issues that you are recommending other lines to clients who aren't decided as to which line they want to go on for a particular itinerary?

100000% - especially when I know the clients may not be technologically savvy. I've, personally, been a loyal Princess cruiser for many years but since this nonsense I tend to sail other lines more and don't go to Princess as the first choice. Princess needs to have a great deal to get me in the door these days!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

100000% - especially when I know the clients may not be technologically savvy. I've, personally, been a loyal Princess cruiser for many years but since this nonsense I tend to sail other lines more and don't go to Princess as the first choice. Princess needs to have a great deal to get me in the door these days!

Not surprising at all.  And I bet you are not alone.  It's not good for PCL.

• Like 1

Upcoming cruise in August. Since we cruised Princess in January it kept most of the info so was breezing right along, ordered the Medallion and with Princess Plus medallion shipping is free..Well, it won't let me finalize until I pay $10 per person for shipping. Did  the "chat" feature on the Princess site, and was told I had to pay for it then get the refund once I was on board. 

Seems rather puzzling but will do it to avoid waiting when we get to the pier.

• Like 2

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Not surprising at all.  And I bet you are not alone.  It's not good for PCL.

It's definitely off-putting. One of the things I love about cruising and being a TA is the pre-planning stage. This app takes ALL of the enjoyment out of it and just leads to frustrations. I am at the point of just cancelling the package, going with standard fare and just paying as I go...why should I give Princess my money up front when it's literally of no benefit to me? It's not even much of a savings since they upped their pricing...

• Like 2

Just now, seahorsecruising said:

Upcoming cruise in August. Since we cruised Princess in January it kept most of the info so was breezing right along, ordered the Medallion and with Princess Plus medallion shipping is free..Well, it won't let me finalize until I pay $10 per person for shipping. Did  the "chat" feature on the Princess site, and was told I had to pay for it then get the refund once I was on board. 

WHAT??? That is insane! I'm in Canada so can't even get the medallion shipped anyway, but I had no idea you had to pay and then get it refunded...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seahorsecruising said:

Exactly my question, also cruising end of August to Alaska...and I thought $10 is total, not per person.....but regardless....if it is saying free, then it should be free, and no hastling later to get a credit...

• Like 1

So, I just got an update regarding the packages, etc. According to the rep on live chat, the dining credits for packages and other credits such as wifi, medallion shipping, etc will not show up/apply until 90-100 days prior to sailing (I assume that means after final payment?) This definnitely wasn't the case in December - I had everything right away, but with all the changes I guess anything is possible. I'm going to just ditch the package, use my elite discount for wifi, drink the free mini bar, and just pay for dining if we can get it. I'm willing to forego the desserts, juice, and fitness classes and can take my own pictures. 

• Like 2

I ordered the Medallions shipped and there is no charge in the app for me. Just to be sure I checked again just now (in case something had changed) and it shows the Medallion and Lanyard for me and for my wife with a total charge of $0.00.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

So, I just got an update regarding the packages, etc. According to the rep on live chat, the dining credits for packages and other credits such as wifi, medallion shipping, etc will not show up/apply until 90-100 days prior to sailing (I assume that means after final payment?) This definnitely wasn't the case in December - I had everything right away, but with all the changes I guess anything is possible. I'm going to just ditch the package, use my elite discount for wifi, drink the free mini bar, and just pay for dining if we can get it. I'm willing to forego the desserts, juice, and fitness classes and can take my own pictures. 

So, I think the problem is in the app itself, it is not showing the package details. I just purchased the trip a week ago for a sailing in August, and paid in full. It includes the Plus package. I see all details on the Princess webpage, but not in the newly downloaded Medallion app. I hope it gets resolved closer to the departure or at check-in, and I am OK picking the Medallions at the port.

Just now, trin880 said:

So, I think the problem is in the app itself, it is not showing the package details. I just purchased the trip a week ago for a sailing in August, and paid in full. It includes the Plus package. I see all details on the Princess webpage, but not in the newly downloaded Medallion app. I hope it gets resolved closer to the departure or at check-in, and I am OK picking the Medallions at the port.

Great info - I did doubt what the rep told me, and now you have confirmed that I was right to doubt!