Effective Thread Titles

Host CMLA

Hi guys. I wanted to give everyone a little reminder about how to title a post so that everyone can know what it's about and be able to find the information faster using the search function. While I understand wanting to use a catchy title to incite interest, it's not always the most effective. For example, titling a post "Can you believe this?" is attention grabbing, it doesn't tell members what you're talking about. A better title would be "Can you believe they charge extra for juice on the Sun?" That way members know that someone had an experience with NCL on the Sun charging extra for juice and if they're interested, they can spend their time opening the thread and reading it. But if you aren't interested in juice then you don't care if they charge for it and you won't spend time on that topic.

I do sometimes alter thread titles if they're too vague or need more clarification because it's helpful to the member. However, if we all take a few extra seconds to title new topics with the subject of the post, it'll be easier for everyone. Thanks!

Hi guys. I wanted to give everyone a little reminder about how to title a post so that everyone can know what it's about and be able to find the information faster using the search function. While I understand wanting to use a catchy title to incite interest, it's not always the most effective. For example, titling a post "Can you believe this?" is attention grabbing, it doesn't tell members what you're talking about. A better title would be "Can you believe they charge extra for juice on the Sun?" That way members know that someone had an experience with NCL on the Sun charging extra for juice and if they're interested, they can spend their time opening the thread and reading it. But if you aren't interested in juice then you don't care if they charge for it and you won't spend time on that topic.

I do sometimes alter thread titles if they're too vague or need more clarification because it's helpful to the member. However, if we all take a few extra seconds to title new topics with the subject of the post, it'll be easier for everyone. Thanks!

Here! here!

And also http://www.m-w.com is the online version of the Merriam-Websters dictionary.

I know we're not allowed to make references to people's spelling...but your credibility goes up when there aren't misused or misspelled words! It's also great for pronunciation...click on the little speaker, and it pronounces the word for you!

Stephen

I know we're not allowed to make references to people's spelling...but your credibility goes up when there aren't misused or misspelled words! It's also great for pronunciation...click on the little speaker, and it pronounces the word for you!
CC actually has a spell checker. It's great! It's a good idea to use it on every post.

It would also be nice if a date was included when doing a review, rather than only stating: "Just Back From Sun".
Also a good idea. If things were titled a little more specifically, the search feature would be much more effective.

Where's the spell checker feature...If I can find it I'll definitely use it?!

The spell check feature is not available on my eMac for CC, but I can use the spell check available on the Mac itself just as easily.

If it is available to you on CC, it is the A/A in the upper left corner of the quote block - left of the Fonts - or it is on my machine, but mine is X'd out.

Good Luck.

Oh crapolla. I thought this was going to be a list of effective thread titles. :p

For those that are "thread or subject title challenged", here are some good ones:

Ship Questions

This might be a stupid question

Newbie to cruising

Cruising

Did you know?

Does this sound right?

Help

Leaving Tomorrow

Should I?

Not sure if this is the place to ask

Question

Can someone help

Was wondering

CC actually has a spell checker. It's great! It's a good idea to use it on every post.

Cecilia,

Any comments on CC's 'great spell checker' that apparently doesn't seem to work, or be available for many CC'ers, including myself?

Just curious...thanks..

KroozNut

Spengle - the A/A is not the spellchecke

The ABC(checkmark) is the spellchecker. Try that. ;)

You know what? There is no ABC (that I can see) on my "Reply To Thread" box. Or, if there is, please tell me where to look?

What is the X'd out A/A?

Also, My favorite Title is: Has Anyone Ever Stayed In Room 1111? I always want to post: "No, You are the First".

You know what? There is no ABC (that I can see) on my "Reply To Thread" box. Or, if there is, please tell me where to look?

What is the X'd out A/A?

Also, My favorite Title is: Has Anyone Ever Stayed In Room 1111? I always want to post: "No, You are the First".

Sailaways - the ABC is to the left of the A/A box. I can't imagine why you don't have one showing! :eek:

Perhaps someone who's much more tech-saavy can offer some explanations! :confused:

BTW - love that "you're the first"! :p :p

OK, so now I really feel foolish...just following Sailaways directions...see below. However, I don't have an ABC in my Reply box...what am I doing wrong? And please don't tell my students (who think that I'm a computer whiz) that I can't even run a Spell Check!!! :D

Cecilia,

Any comments on CC's 'great spell checker' that apparently doesn't seem to work, or be available for many CC'ers, including myself?

Just curious...thanks..

KroozNut

No, I don't have any comments. Spell check works fine for me. I have no idea why it doesn't work for others. Then again, I don't manage the web site so nothing I comment on would make a difference.

No, I don't have any comments. Spell check works fine for me. I have no idea why it doesn't work for others. Then again, I don't manage the web site so nothing I comment on would make a difference.

Happy to hear that it works fine for you, based on this thread, sounds like you're the lucky one! :)

Happy to hear that it works fine for you, based on this thread, sounds like you're the lucky one! :)
To see why it doesn't work for you, you should check out the help board for how to use the board or write to the board administrator at community@cruisecritic.com. She may be able to help you. But again, I don't have anything to do with how the board is maintained. I just volunteer as a host.

Archived