Effective Thread Titles

Host CMLA

GeorgieBoy - the title of your thread was simply a ship name and date - which caused it immediately to be moved to the rollcalls section.

I tried to post a new thread with your answer, but it was then moved and attached to your post! :rolleyes:

To see both, click on your username in your post - see the dropdown menu and click on "find all posts by this user" It'll give you a list - click on the one you want, and read my reply to you! :)

[quote name='GeorgieBoy']Hi,I posted a few questions about half an hour ago and they seem to have dissapeared,did I do something wrong ?
thanks[/QUOTE] As Waldospepper said, your post was moved to the roll call area because you titled your thread like a roll call. If you spend some time exploring this site you'll find different boards for roll calls, ports of call, specialty cruising subjects, generic cruise topics and of course, specific cruise line names. Topics on this board should be focused on things specific to NCL like their ships, etc. Sometimes you'll see threads that are a little more generic to cruising but if it can be related to NCL in some way, they can usually stay. When you title your thread, try and be exact in what you're looking for so you can get the best and most answers.

[quote name='spengle']Obviously didn't work...the AA in my quote box indicates it's to remove text formatting when I rollover it with the mouse. Any suggestions??[/quote]

Yes - don't rollover it. :D

[quote name='Host Cecilia']"Can you believe they charge extra for juice on the Sun?" [/quote]

Yes. It is very hot on the sun, and if I was selling juice, or any other drink on the sun, I would charge extra. I mean what are people going to do? Go to Mercury? It is hot there too. :D

[quote name='Cuizer2']Yes. It is very hot on the sun, and if I was selling juice, or any other drink on the sun, I would charge extra. I mean what are people going to do? Go to Mercury? It is hot there too. :D[/quote]
dont quit yer day job!

• 2 months later...
[quote name='DroopySails']Hey, I couldn't resist, given Stephen's set-up, but I posted in good humor, not maliciously![/quote]

Alright... THIS will be my last post.... THAT was funny.

Thank you for tempering the mood.

Stephen

[quote name='Host Cecilia']Hi guys. I wanted to give everyone a little reminder about how to title a post so that everyone can know what it's about and be able to find the information faster using the search function. [/quote]

I agree with you completely. A descriptive title that summarizes the topic of the post is a great help. I tend to not even open posts that do not have a decent title like "check this out!!" .... ahh no thanks.

I am a software developer find that telling users the right way things should be done is like herding cats. They remember for about 30 minutes.

The best way is to change the software user interface to guide the user, then slap him with error/warning messages if it looks wrong. Look at your current "Post New Thread" page. It is pretty spartan without a hint that Title is important. The prompt just says "Title". At minimum change that to be "Short Summary of your question or posting". Better ... add some help text like

[COLOR=blue][B]Title is important[/B]. Summarize the subject or topic of your post. Do [U]not[/U] put things like "[I]help please[/I]" or "[I]Question on Jewel[/I]". A good example would be "[I]Do deck 11 rooms on Jewel have a lot of motion?[/I]" A good Title will give you a better chance of your post getting opened and your question answered.[/COLOR]

I like to think of UI words as costing $20 each, so you do have to keep it short or people will not read it. The above is a bit long.

If the Title entered is 30 bytes or less then come back with a confirmation warning page that says [B]"Title is important, can't you esplain this better Lucy?"[/B]. A simple way to do it might be to go to the preview page with that warning message in bold red. Een if the user hits the Submit button, a short title will take him to the Preview.

The other thing the New Post page should have some reminder text to [B]Search before posting a new thread[/B], and have a link to the search page. Seems like every other day there is a question on Penthouse rooms or Alcohol policies that could have been found by searching. Maybe a button next to the Title that would open a new window to the search page using that title.

[URL="http://www.joelonsoftware.com"]http://www.joelonsoftware.com[/URL] has a great book of software design.

eye am sow glade tat eye red tis post...cauz now eye ken avoide luuking stupit in frunt of a millun uther posturs...thanx four the spill chick advice!...:)
eye juuuus luv tis bored! LOL!...of course...gonna download it eemidiately!:p

[quote name='lv2crooz2']Donna, How far up "State" are you?;) A nother vot fur spillchick:D[/QUOTE]

i'm at the foot of the catskills..."Rock Tavern"...appropiately so...named for the many rocks you must first dig out before the garden adventure...:rolleyes:

Sorry Donna:o , I was doing a slight "play" about "spillchick' for the spelling of upstate. 50 lashes with a wet noodle for me! Actually, I am very familiar with your area, having gone to school in Utica and my family lives outside of Albany and Binghamton. The Catskill game farm was "the" place back in the day.:D

[quote name='lv2crooz2']Sorry Donna:o , I was doing a slight "play" about "spillchick' for the spelling of upstate. 50 lashes with a wet noodle for me! Actually, I am very familiar with your area, having gone to school in Utica and my family lives outside of Albany and Binghamton. The Catskill game farm was "the" place back in the day.:D[/QUOTE]

i no dat...wet noodles sound good to me...i is Italian...:D "Catskill game farm"...been there...done that...and then some!...the area is progressing...I live about 10 minutes from the former "Stewart Airforce Base"...it's gone commercial & their tearing things up around here...We've even graduated to a Barnes & Nobles!...imagine that...The area i live in is no longer rural...it's slowly climbing out of the woods...going to miss it though!...

I see you've cruised quite a bit...you must be quite a benefit to the boards...I post on my tip-toes...don't have much to offer with one cruise under my belt...but it sure is fun reading these threads...sometimes you need "Bonine" just to get through the waves...lol!...can become pretty e-MOTION-al around here!

So, how many times can this thread get "hijacked".... for noobies that means somebody started a new topic and got us off track

Thanks to the software developer above who gave some good ideas. Subject/title lines really drive me nuts. My Mom was the best at it for a few years when she starting sending me emails. Her subject line on EVERY email for a year or more was MOM. Duh!

[quote name='garycarla']So, how many times can this thread get "hijacked".... for noobies that means somebody started a new topic and got us off track

Thanks to the software developer above who gave some good ideas. Subject/title lines really drive me nuts. My Mom was the best at it for a few years when she starting sending me emails. Her subject line on EVERY email for a year or more was MOM. Duh![/quote]

Hi Jack? who is Jack?

[quote name='smeyer418']Hi Jack? who is Jack?[/QUOTE]

"Jack the [B][U]Ripper[/U][/B]" silly...from the "NCL bogus charges after cruise" thread...:rolleyes:

[quote name='smeyer418']Oh is that who Kelly is married to?[/QUOTE]

dmeyer418...you're killing me!...if I was not throughly confused before...I am now:confused: Thanks for the intrigue...;)

[quote name='smeyer418']I am sure you know Kelly Ripper. Sorry I am in a silly mood.[/QUOTE]

quite alright!...silliness is very contagious on this board...I'm rather drawn to the funny side of things myself...makes for a most enjoyable read! :) Life is much to short not to deviate from the "predictable" atleast a few times! :rolleyes: I call them "friendly hijackers"
BTW...in the midst of all the "flame throwing" going on around here...one needs a funny sort of place to "hide"...:eek:

[quote name='sjbdtz']Just for clarity, I think her name is Kelly Ripa, isn't it?[/quote]

go to your room! correcting spelling on this is the worst violation of the CC guidelines I have even seen.... actually I think you should be fined $40.00 :)

Archived