Formal nights on Pride of America?

cmp137

13 minutes ago, cmp137 said:

This will be our first time cruising with NCL, so I was just wondering if there are formal dining nights like with other cruise lines?

NCL does not have formal nights. NCL embraces freestyle dining. Some nights are designated "dress up or not" (almost all choose "not"). Shorts are allowed in all dining rooms for all meals except dinner at Jefferson's Bistro and the Liberty Main Dining Room where gents are asked to wear long pants (dockers or jeans) and a collared shirt (polo shirt or Hawaiian shirt). 

Edited by BirdTravels

@Middleager is absolutely correct.  Imagine a wonderful full day in paradise, returning to the ship just in time for dinner.  Relax, this is NCL and a nice pair of pants and top/shirt are just fine in most restaurants.  I can't wait till I cruise on POA to enjoy the islands and come back to my hotel, I mean, my cruise ship, in time for dinner.  I do sometimes wear a skirt and nice blouse but that's as high as I generally go. 

The highest level of dress on any NCL ship is resort casual, however, if you want to dress at a higher level, that's ok, just don't expect many others to do the same.  No worries though, it's your choice. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise
  • Like 1

Aloha ! "Formal" nights on the POA and elsewhere on those Hawaiian islands ... were basically, for men - a colorful Hawaiian shirt paired with khaki pants/causal slacks; and, that was true onboard then for us at LeBistro and Cagney's.  Solid color shirt with collars will work equally fine - it is basically resort casual.

Everything fitted nicely into a 22" rollerboard.  But, feel free to pack you tux if you wish to, for those special photographic moments.  

OTOH, to make your experience special - plan ahead & get those nice flower leis and wear it.  Mahalo 🤙 

P.S.  Check your sailing schedule & port times carefully on the POA, especially for the overnight ones as you will possibly be coming back to the ship late, rather late for dinner (what's the rush to get back onboard) - perhaps doing a luau in town instead ... plan accordingly.  

Edited by mking8288

15 minutes ago, cmp137 said:

Thank you for the responses! I am perfectly happy with no formal nights. Do they not have the "formal" pictures on NCL either then?

Photographers will have backdrops set up every night. If there is a night that you want that special photo, you can walk up to any/all backdrops and have a shot taken. Some folks stop every night and get photos taken at multiple backdrops, regardless of what they are wearing. Our cruise photos are always in Hawaiian attire. 

And for your overnight port calls in Maui and Kauai, look for opportunities to go to a luau or other nighttime entertainment on shore. Or that sunrise bike ride from the top of a volcano on Maui. 

On 7/2/2021 at 11:51 PM, BirdTravels said:

On 7/2/2021 at 11:51 PM, BirdTravels said:

. Or that sunrise bike ride from the top of a volcano on Maui

This is intriguing! I’d like to look into this! Any info?