Celebrity cancelled our transatlantic cruise so we cancelled our Italy trip and booked a tour instead

4774Papa

We like to do a land tour, usually on our own, sometimes with a tour company then take a transatlantic cruise home.  Celebrity cancelled our Reflection TA, after they cancelled our Constellation TA from Rome, so we cancelled the trip to Italy (perhaps next  year) and booked a land tour.

Cruising is fun, but it is mainly to see places, we rarely do a cruise twice (except transatlantic).   You save on airfare and TA cruises are cheaper.  However, not sure how reliable cruising will be in the future.  We booked a Gate 1 land tour (two weeks) of Israel and Jordan for next March.  We are excited about that trip.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, marieps said:

Elaine,

I think the OP is talking about the westbound TA this fall.  Seems like only Apex and Silhouette will sail TAs in the fall.  

Yes, it was Oct 22.   Originally X had three TA cruises from Rome to the USA for Fall from Rome, two were cancelled quickly, then Reflection.  We are thinking of doing our planned Italy trip next Fall and doing Royal C. instead, it is a lot cheaper than any X.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

We booked a Gate 1 land tour (two weeks) of Israel and Jordan for next March.  We are excited about that trip.

They are a great company. We did a South Africa Tour with them and other family members have done other tours with them without incident. You did your homework a chose a great tour company. enjoy!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Yes, it was Oct 22.   Originally X had three TA cruises from Rome to the USA for Fall from Rome, two were cancelled quickly, then Reflection.  We are thinking of doing our planned Italy trip next Fall and doing Royal C. instead, it is a lot cheaper than any X.

I'd have to think Royal C would have few kids on a TA.  Sounds like an enjoyable trip.  BTW, love your part of the state.  Stayed at Secretary Paulson's place on Little SS a few years ago.  Have a great rest of the summer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We like to do a land tour, usually on our own, sometimes with a tour company then take a transatlantic cruise home.  Celebrity cancelled our Reflection TA, after they cancelled our Constellation TA from Rome, so we cancelled the trip to Italy (perhaps next  year) and booked a land tour.

Cruising is fun, but it is mainly to see places, we rarely do a cruise twice (except transatlantic).   You save on airfare and TA cruises are cheaper.  However, not sure how reliable cruising will be in the future.  We booked a Gate 1 land tour (two weeks) of Israel and Jordan for next March.  We are excited about that trip.

Have done 4 land tours with Gate 1. Had an Eastern European tour scheduled for last Aug. with them but was cancelled. Am waiting to see how this virus shakes out as I can't wait to start traveling again. Have done enough cruises. Am very satisfied with Gate 1 and I'm sure you will be too. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Did they say why they cancelled the cruise? It’s so far out.

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Did they say why they cancelled the cruise? It’s so far out.

The cancellation was a lengthy letter mentioning the uncertainties of travel, despite the fact that Italy had opened up to travelers and even modified its masking rules not to require masking outdoors.

Frankly, we were not happy over the cancellation, feeling that X made an economic decision.   The roll call on cc was lengthy, ship probably not sold out, but still widely sold.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 9:17 AM, 4774Papa said:

Celebrity cancelled our Reflection TA.

We booked a Gate 1 land tour (two weeks) of Israel and Jordan for next March.  We are excited about that trip.

We were on the same canceled cruise so booked that Gate 1 trip for November 2021 - let's hope it goes!  🤞

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kylie said:

We were on the same canceled cruise so booked that Gate 1 trip for November 2021 - let's hope it goes!  🤞

Kylie,

Apparently, Israel is now closed to outsiders, but I am sure within 8 months, it should be open again. Hopefully by November as well.

I tried to book our flights (separately through Delta), arriving in Tel Aviv and departing from Amman, Jordan, but couldn't since Delta pulled its flights to Amman and hasn't republished them yet.  Keep fingers crossed for  a great trip.

I spent four days in Jerusalem in December 1985 and it was fantastic.  My wife hasn't been to Israel.  Neither of us have been to Jordan.

9 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Kylie,

Apparently, Israel is now closed to outsiders, but I am sure within 8 months, it should be open again. Hopefully by November as well.

We continue to hope that travel will resume again soon - so tired of trips not being able to go!  With you not going to Israel until March you have a lot better chance of going than we do.  We may have to move our Gate 1 trip to then too!  We really love Gate1.

jkbult1 at hotmail

Keep in touch about it, please.