Another air option if cruising from Port Canaveral

EatonDoolittle

10 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

is it still a good option during covid?

Delta tickets are $109 ATL-MLB and $179 ATL-MCO for our November cruise (one way). There are 5 of us, so the difference adds up.

We've never cruised out of Port Canaveral before and I have just now found out about MLB airport. I do realize that even though the distance from MLB is half that of that from MCO, the time it takes to drive is about the same (an hour).

I wouldn’t have major concerns about booking flights to MLB over MCO. I know that anything is possible, but Delta has been good about not making drastic changes or cancelling flights recently as other airlines have. In addition to Uber/Lyft, you’ll have transportation companies at the airport available to take you to Port Canaveral. 

During the pandemic, we’ve taken several trips. Delta, Jetblue, Spirit and Frontier. Delta hasn’t made any changes to our itinerary. Jetblue made minor changes (less than an hour difference). The worst offender has been Frontier. For an upcoming trip in January, we had nonstop flights departing at 4:00pm and they were changed to a connecting flight departing in the middle of the night at 1:00am with an 8 hour connection. They were so bad that we just decided to cancel and got a refund. 

The one I was most concerned about was on Spirit to fly down to Ft Lauderdale to sail on the MSC Meraviglia two weeks ago. After all the recent nightmares that they were experiencing, I was fully expecting for our flight to be canceled or severely delayed. None of that materialized and our flight operated on time. We actually arrived in Florida early! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tapi said:

I wouldn’t have major concerns about booking flights to MLB over MCO. I know that anything is possible, but Delta has been good about not making drastic changes or cancelling flights recently as other airlines have.

The one I was most concerned about was on Spirit to fly down to Ft Lauderdale to sail on the MSC Meraviglia two weeks ago. After all the recent nightmares that they were experiencing, I was fully expecting for our flight to be canceled or severely delayed. None of that materialized and our flight operated on time. We actually arrived in Florida early! 

Thank you.

Yes, SW cancelled our ATL-MCO flight, so I am scrambling now to find other tickets. We could reuse SW tickets next year.

We usually fly on Spirit, but they do not have any flights before 3 pm on that day. I still have credit with them from the cancelled 2020 flights, so I am planning to use it for the return trip (they have 2 flights we could use). And, yes, with their recent problems I would only risk flying with them on the way back anyway.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

if they don't want to be stuck, they will simply not accept a ride. It's an airport, surely, someone will need a ride out of there. 🙂

Ummm, granted it's not Hartsfield, but MLB is in the middle of town, and except for times right around ship arrival or departure, an Uber driver has a much better chance of getting a fare in Melbourne than in the Port Canaveral area, believe me. 

• Like 1

I'll be flying into Stanford Orlando in late October for a cruise.  Can I assume there are also shuttles running over to the Port Canaveral hotels and won't need to rent a car.  If Allegiant is close to being on time, I will have all day and night to get to Port Canaveral and returning form the cruise I don't have a flight until 5...so I don't think time will be an issue.  More wondering about shuttles and hotels now.

• 5 months later...
On 7/9/2021 at 5:42 PM, EngIceDave said:

MLB may be closer than MCO to the port, but due to traffic and lights having to use surface streets, it will take longer to get to the port from MLB than MCO or even Sanford SFB.

From MCO it is literally a straight run on a highway, SR528 "The Beachline"

Really?  This is very good information to know when comparing flight options.