1st cruise on Spirit of Discovery, 3 July

Kentish Lass

We have just returned from our first cruise with Saga, although we have cruised previously with P&O.  The itinerary had been changed from the Fjords to The Scottish Islands and the Fjords then changed again to along the South Coast and the Isles of Scilly

We were collected on time by our driver,  journey to Tilbury took about 1hr and 15 minutes, we had to use the Dartford Crossing which held us up as the traffic as usual was horrendous there.  On arrival at Tilbury we had a nasal swab taken, followed by an oxymeter check and a paper healthquestionnaire to complete.  Once our LF test was passed we proceeded to the terminal where our luggage was taken from the car and was in our cabin when we arrived. Check in was very smooth and they only required us to show our vaccination card issued when we had our injections. On arrival on the ship we had to wash our hands and we were then taken to our cabin. 

We had a standard cabin, which was more then adequate, comfortable bed, two armchairs, excellent bathroom with plenty of room and a good shower. Balcony was bigger then we expected, not huge but bigger then Oceania and Britannia.  Everything was definitely a step or two up from P&O, fixture and fittings were much better standard.

For muster we were required to watch a video then proceed to our muster station (without life jackets).  They did monitor watching the video! 

We had 4 included excursions, three were coach trips, all very well organised, informative and we were allowed of for a comfort stop and time for a short walk around. On Tresco on of the Isles  of Scilly the included excursions was to the Botanical Gardens which entailed a tender and then a 20 minute walk to the gardens. In the morning we did an optional tour, of a two hour walk. The Isles of Scilly  were the highlight of the cruise.

Food was good, no buffet all meals were ordered from a menu and were waiter service.  They did take your cabin number at each meal for track and trace reasons. We ate in two of the specialty restaurants and again that was very good. Entertainment was OK, we went to the theatre one night, very similar to the Headliners shows. Booking was required.  Outside space very good looked as though there were plenty of sun beds and seating outside for everyone, nice walk around prom deck. 

We realise that is is a different experience to the “norm” due to COVID and only 50% occupancy and we are looking forward to the cruise we have booked for next year, hopefully under normal conditions. 

I’m happy to answer any questions.  Unable to post any drinks price lists as there were none out in the bars and  we just ordered fairly standard pre dinner dinks etc.  We were happy with the included wines and over the week there were about 8 or 9 different wines offered.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting Kentish Lass.  We’re booked on the 8 night cruise on SoD departing 25th July.  Originally due to call at Orkney, Shetland, Stornoway and Scrabster.  We had an email today with revised itinerary along the south coast and Scilly, plus Holyhead.  It’s not particularly interesting to us as we live in Devon and have visited all of the ports!  Shore excursions info not yet available, so we will wait and see what Saga offer.

I wanted to ask you if there was a long wait for meals to be served, given that it is waiter service only?

We ate in The Grill for breakfast and lunch. Service was mostly quick, on a couple of occasions  the service was slower, we decided that this was due to the time we had chosen to go, which seemed to coincide with a lot more people. There was plenty of staff in the buffet. Evening meal in the MDR was nice and relaxed, we had requested a fixed table as we were travelling with my Sister and her husband.

Kentish Lass. Your mention of the oxymeter test was worrying for me. I have COPD and therefore my readings are much lower than normal. I have declared this on my included Saga insurance so they should have a record of it

We’re not due to go until Easter 2022, so things may have changed by then.

Thank you for taking the time to post Kentish Lass. Yes the  Isles of Scilly are well worth a visit, we had a couple of holidays there in the distant past.

Just a few of questions.

What time did you board?

Where and when did you have to wear a mask?

Where you able to wander around any of the ports on your own?

We were on board and having lunch by 2pm, we were picked up from home at 11.45. On a good day we are just under an hour from Tilbury. 

Masks  were worn inside the ship, but not out on the decks or in your cabin. We removed our masks as soon as we sat down in a bar or restaurant if we were eating or drinking.

Unfortunately we we’re not allowed off the ship unless on an Saga organised excursion. 

Thanks again , one other question , i see you liked the food especially the speciality restaurants. We are awaiting our first Saga cruise, but like yourselves have been on P&O . As a benchmark how do you rate Saga food versus P&O

We thought it was a step up from P&O, none of us had a problem choosing from the menu.  There was a choice of 3 dishes in the Starters, main and desserts, plus 2 always there, a vegetarian and a plainer choice ( can’t remember what they called it) but I the scampi and chips one night. The cheeseboard was streets ahead of P&O and in normal times it’s a cheese trolley, but at present they just list the cheese available that night, there were at least 8 to choose from and they were brought to the table. We never had a problem having our wine topped up!  The petit fours were definitely much better then P&O though they were the same every evening. 

• Like 1

On SOD in 2019 we were having dinner in the buffet restaurant with the food and beverage guy and complimenting him on the quality and variety of the cheeses. Next day an envelope appeared in our cabin with a list of all the cheeses then onboard. There were around 100, many of which were unusual British artisanal cheeses. In the past we have noticed that Norwegian cheeses appeared in Norway, Danish in Denmark, Italian in Italy etc. 

Thanks for this review.  It was really interesting to hear your thoughts as a newcomer to Saga. We’re still considering a November cruise on Adventure, though won’t book until much nearer the time as we’re still very anxious about Covid.  Viking is now our normal preference (gave up P&O a few years ago when they started cost cutting, but had enjoyed many cruises with them in the past).   Could you tell me how dressy it was in the evenings.  I loathe all the pretentious dressing up!  Could I get away with for example a plain dress, and wear the same thing every evening 😜?   Are all the tables set for groups?  Must we dine with others?  I’ve looked at videos of the ships and the dining rooms look massive… is there a way of avoiding dining there?  (And I don’t mean room service!). 

We didn’t think it was as dressy as P&O and were slightly disappointed, as I enjoy the opportunity to dress up!   You could have certainly got away with a plain dress every evening, apart from perhaps the formal night, where most people did dress up.  We requested a “fixed” table for 4 as we were travelling with my sister and her husband. This table was the same every evening but we had to be sitting down by 7.30 or it was allocated to other people. We did let the waiter know when we were eating in the speciality restaurants so that they weren’t waiting for us. There did appear to be quite a few tables for 2 and I think they were asking people if they were happy to share. The tables appeared to be smaller sizes then in the photos and videos we had seen pre cruise,  and as we haven’t sailed in “normal” times I can’t comment on the usual arrangements. 

• Like 1

Jammy Bun, there are lots of tables for 2, we always opt for a two top and it’s never been a problem. Like Kentish Lass we like to have the same table in an evening as we get to know our waiters. The waiters in turn get to know that I enjoy my water heavily chilled with ice and the wine waiter would have the sparkling wine ready for me.

As you know Saga is popular with singles and the larger tables are generally used by singles so that they can get to know each other and of course there are many couples who like to share tables. Maybe with Covid that will change.

The specialities are mainly 2 tops with again larger tables, and once again I noticed singles sharing on these and enjoying the company.

As to formal nights ladies wear is very disparate and I’ve seen plain skirts and old cardies on occasion, as far as wearing the same thing every night I doubt anyone would notice. I have trouble remembering what I wore the previous evening, never mind other guests!

Unfortunately the gentleman are required to wear a tie and jacket.

Just ask away I’m sure others will chip in 🙂

• Like 1

OH hasn’t taken a jacket or tie on a cruise for 4 years now!  And I Ebayed all my evening wear once we discovered Viking!  If we do decide to try Saga I’ll buy a LBD and he’ll dig out his dinner jacket.  The smell of mothballs should ensure we get a table for two in a secluded location 🤣.  

• Haha 1

We have been on many Saga cruises over 15+ years and always found the atmosphere to be very inclusive. Women wear what they choose, from ball gowns to skirts and jumpers on formal nights, but I have never been aware of anyone being judgemental about anyone else’s preferences. Men are more restricted on formal nights, a jacket and tie being compulsory. However some men wear a jacket and tie to all meals (most don’t), some women wear something glittery to all meals (most don’t).

On the new ship, we much preferred the Veranda Restaurant upstairs as it is lighter, quieter, has great views and tables for 2-4. If you are making comparisons with Viking, it has a similar feel. In 2019 it was a buffet with lots of waiter assistance and the same menu as the main dining room. Due to Covid it is now completely waiter service.

• Like 2