Greece - new vaccination requirements

marazul

Greece will star requiring vaccinations or negative tests for indoor dining at restaurants.  Here is today's article:

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1164450/greece-to-require-vaccination-or-negative-test-at-indoor-restaurants/

It will be interesting to see how restaurants that only have indoor dining will enforce it.  I suspect that the QR code you get when you fly in will be sufficient since that is proof of vaccination or negative test on arrival.  Don't delete the email!

If this is Tuesday there must be a new rule!  Etc, etc, etc.  Thanks for the post/link.  I wonder how this will work for Americans (and those from other non-EU countries) who will not generally have the mentioned digital app.  While Greece currently accepts our CDC Vaccination cards at the various Ports of Entry and those going to be accepted to dine indoors?   Nothing in that link hints at the issue so, for the moment, it remains a mystery.

We recently stumbled on another recent Greece policy change.  As of last week they are requiring another PLF Form for those who use ferries from the mainland to various Greek Islands.  There are also requirements to show proof of vaccination or a recent (within 2 days) Antigen test for those ferries.  But there is no similar requirement for ferries between the various "nearby" islands.  We are not sure of the requirements to catch a ferry back to the mainland.  We plan on doing some island hopping in August so are trying to keep up with all these changes/updates.

Hank

• Like 1

that's really interesting. We will have our (US) vaccination cards with us, and of course plan on doing the online Greek form. For good or bad, it will likely be super hot when we are there so I suppose we won't be overly cold at outdoor dining.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:56 PM, Hlitner said:

We recently stumbled on another recent Greece policy change.  As of last week they are requiring another PLF Form for those who use ferries from the mainland to various Greek Islands.  There are also requirements to show proof of vaccination or a recent (within 2 days) Antigen test for those ferries.  But there is no similar requirement for ferries between the various "nearby" islands.  We are not sure of the requirements to catch a ferry back to the mainland.  We plan on doing some island hopping in August so are trying to keep up with all these changes/updates.

Hank

You won't have a problem, boats/ferries from islands to mainland or to other islands do not require covid negative test. There is only a strong suggestion to buy a self test from a pharmacy and test yourself before departure. The reason is that some islands (like Paros you ll be visiting) are packed and there are no sufficient clinics to test all these visitors, hence the Health Statement Form.

Therefore even if you choose to rapid test yourself for your own reasons at Paros you will easy find a clinic as the majority of visitors will do only the absolute necessary. 

These rules will not change, at least soon.

The constant changes/updates that you are writing concern mainly indoor restaurants, clubs, percentage of capacity to be allowed to enter etc. 

Or for example since yesterday at Piraeus (Athens big port) the port police (coast guard) checks the pre-boarding documentation instead of ferries' crew, but I will be very very surprised if any changes in travel regulations, these apply since May and are here to stay. 

Another last week rule is that only seated customers are allowed in bars, clubs, cafes, restaurants, weddings etc. NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO DANCE even at beach bars, how stupid this can seem?

On 7/14/2021 at 12:03 PM, irvington said:

that's really interesting. We will have our (US) vaccination cards with us, and of course plan on doing the online Greek form. For good or bad, it will likely be super hot when we are there so I suppose we won't be overly cold at outdoor dining.

Actually its so hot that many choose to have lunch at air-conditioned indoor places. 

Edited by mcondition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK so we have another rule today. Nightclubs, even outdoor will only accept seated and fully vaccinated customers, negative covid test is not working to enter from today till end of August. This doesn't apply to cafes and restaurants. 

This is kind of a bad joke as majority of night clubs visitors are young age currently with low percentage vaccination level. The ones who make it through the door must also be seated. But daily cases spike and its proven that hundreds of teens have been infected at outdoor big parties. 

All these will lead to illegal villa parties at islands like Mykonos or revive underground raves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well sorry but I have to correct my previous post. From today a self-test is required for non vaccinated passengers returning by boat from islands to mainland Greece. Strict rules imposed yesterday. The self test can be found at pharmacies and costs less than 5 euro, however you have to declare it at gov.gr and present the barcode.

• Like 1

Regarding Mykonos it is more a police fault. They couldn't stop private parties in villas where they charged illegal entrance. Most bars followed the rules but new cases spike, in view of illegal rave parties. The government booked for the whole summer period a big hotel to host verified cases and now it's full. Unfortunately there are tens of new covid positive cases, mostly tourists, without available space in the designated hotel and they are obligated to declare at check-in to the hotel that they are positive. Almost no hotel accepts them, so they spend the night at beaches. As Mykonos is the flagship of Greek tourism, the situation is becoming unacceptable. 

On 7/17/2021 at 8:12 AM, marazul said:

If you want to know where the Raves are, follow the music. Also in indoor restaurants people can sit further from each other and not shout if it is quiet, less chance for spread. Only 51% of Greeks are vaccinated.

On 7/18/2021 at 3:49 PM, Cruise4Sunshine said:

If you want to know where the Raves are, follow the music. Also in indoor restaurants people can sit further from each other and not shout if it is quiet, less chance for spread. Only 51% of Greeks are vaccinated.

It has been several decades since I wanted to know where the raves are.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/20/2021 at 2:40 PM, marazul said:

It has been several decades since I wanted to know where the raves are.  😁

I had you for sure fixed as a raver marazul, what with your presence over on Spain ports, and how life there doesn't get going till midnight.

I think you're just playing possum with us and keeping the 411 on all the raves to yourself 😂

(prolly has quite the EDM playlist too lol)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My right to rave may be compromised again. 🙃

Unfortunately, cases are up again the islands, especially in Mykonos.  

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1165411/aegean-isles-on-shaky-ground-as-covid-cases-rise/

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1165386/eu-health-body-warns-against-visiting-popular-greek-islands-over-covid-19/

Edited by marazul

I see on the celebrity board that there is discussion of needing a negative COVID test to board the ship. I wonder if this will apply to cruises beginning in Greece. 

Edited by irvington

18 hours ago, irvington said:

I see on the celebrity board that there is discussion of needing a negative COVID test to board the ship. I wonder if this will apply to cruises beginning in Greece. 

I was reading that thread about the Edge that sailed yesterday........WOW😲

• Like 1