New Origin/Galapagos: June/July Reports/Details??

TLCOhio

18 hours ago, AngieS said:

My hubby and I are sailing on the Origin a week from today (July 24th) so I will be sure to get back to you with our thoughts.  We are very excited and feel so fortunate we are able to travel again.  We have been on Silversea and Seabourn and we love both.  

Super appreciate this kind follow-up and offer from Angie in Dallas.  Very helpful!!  Good luck with your upcoming sailing.  

Of special interest might be as to any special dining treats that you especially enjoyed and would suggest for other to try.  What's the "vibe" with the other passengers and staff?  Are more of the passengers from the U.S.?  Or, is there a good mix from the UK, Europe, Canada, etc.?

Also, how were the waters for snorkeling and what could see when doing those activities?  How plentiful was the wildlife, birds, water creatures, etc., on these islands?  Love to hear and learn as much as you can share.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,612 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Are more of the passengers from the U.S.?  Or, is there a good mix from the UK, Europe, Canada, etc.?

UK and most of Europe are virtually banned from travelling to South America at the moment. And for the forseeable future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 2:25 PM, Fletcher said:

UK and most of Europe are virtually banned from travelling to South America at the moment. And for the forseeable future.

Appreciate this helpful follow-up fro our UK friend and travel expert.  Keep it coming!!  Look forward to any and all added recent information from the Galapagos Islands and this new Silversea ship.  Our friends depart Aug. 5 for this first experience, BOTH, with Silversea and in the Galapagos.  After they come back, I will share here their impressions, experiences, likes, etc.  

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 90,982 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

On 7/18/2021 at 10:09 AM, TLCOhio said:

Super appreciate this kind follow-up and offer from Angie in Dallas.  Very helpful!!  Good luck with your upcoming sailing.  

Of special interest might be as to any special dining treats that you especially enjoyed and would suggest for other to try.  What's the "vibe" with the other passengers and staff?  Are more of the passengers from the U.S.?  Or, is there a good mix from the UK, Europe, Canada, etc.?

Also, how were the waters for snorkeling and what could see when doing those activities?  How plentiful was the wildlife, birds, water creatures, etc., on these islands?  Love to hear and learn as much as you can share.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,612 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Hi Terry. Sadly it is our last day on the ship. It has been the most fabulous week. I will be home on Sunday morning and promise to write a full review as wifi here is a little slow. I will tell you this cruise is busy busy with the activities and lectures. I highly encourage your clients to do everything they possibly can. The naturalists are so passionate and knowledgeable. We have loved every minute and the ship is so luxurious. We were only 58 passengers. I have taken pics of a few menus including room service menus and of the cabin. I also have saved all the daily chronicles. This cruise is a once in a lifetime experience!  Best Angie

• Like 4

14 hours ago, AngieS said:

Hi Terry. Sadly it is our last day on the ship. It has been the most fabulous week. I will be home on Sunday morning and promise to write a full review as wifi here is a little slow. I will tell you this cruise is busy busy with the activities and lectures. I highly encourage your clients to do everything they possibly can. The naturalists are so passionate and knowledgeable. We have loved every minute and the ship is so luxurious. We were only 58 passengers. I have taken pics of a few menus including room service menus and of the cabin. I also have saved all the daily chronicles. This cruise is a once in a lifetime experience!  Best Angie

Totally appreciate this great and amazing follow-up from Angie.  Wonderful!!  So glad everything was excellent in the Galapagos and on the Silver Origin.  

YES, would love any all added info, experiences and background.  Have shared with my good friends here in Central Ohio getting ready to depart on Thursday, August 5.  (Sorry, not a travel agent, nor are they "clients".)  

WEATHER??:  They did have a very good follow-up question.   They have been looking at the weather down there.  It seems to be for this coming week with high's in the upper 70's to 80F, while in the nights, it goes down into the 60's.  How is it with those temperatures as to what you would recommend.for snorkeling, kayaking, zodiac or hiking?  Is it a little chilly for snorkeling?? How did things work with the weather and water, etc.??

What was you top favorite dining treat/dish on this ship?

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,712 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Regarding the weather/temperature question/concern about the Galapagos Islands, below is what AccuWeather says it will there for the next two weeks in early August.  WOW!!  Am surprised by those days only in the 60's.  

Does that seem normal?  Below average?  Any reactions as to how one prepares for visiting there, any limits to what can be done in the water there with the cooler air temperatures?

Our friends depart from the Columbus airport at 6 am Thursday, needing to fly through Chicago and then to Houston before arriving in Ecuador.  Long day!!

Added insights, tips, suggestions, secrets, etc., for the Galapagos islands and with first time sailers doing Silversea on this super new ship?

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,587 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• 247069407_ScreenShot2021-07-31at12_14_13PM.thumb.png.d2caa304bc3ca40e742e0a8cd5893cd3.png

On 7/31/2021 at 9:48 AM, TLCOhio said:

Totally appreciate this great and amazing follow-up from Angie.  Wonderful!!  So glad everything was excellent in the Galapagos and on the Silver Origin.  

YES, would love any all added info, experiences and background.  Have shared with my good friends here in Central Ohio getting ready to depart on Thursday, August 5.  (Sorry, not a travel agent, nor are they "clients".)  

WEATHER??:  They did have a very good follow-up question.   They have been looking at the weather down there.  It seems to be for this coming week with high's in the upper 70's to 80F, while in the nights, it goes down into the 60's.  How is it with those temperatures as to what you would recommend.for snorkeling, kayaking, zodiac or hiking?  Is it a little chilly for snorkeling?? How did things work with the weather and water, etc.??

What was you top favorite dining treat/dish on this ship?

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,712 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

We arrived back today and I thought I would put something together as I know there are folks doing the Galapagos fairly soon.  I will put a formal review in on the Member Reviews section, but here is some useful information.

Arrival Quito:  We arrived late at night and there is a Silversea hospitality desk at the JW Marriott.  We were told to report the next morning between 8 and 10am for a covid test provided by Silversea in the business center at the hotel.  Let me just say that for the four of us travelling together and many other guests, the whole covid testing was the most stressful part of the trip.  Rules kept changing before we left and although Quito only required a vaccination certificate, we knew the Galapagos required a negative pcr test.  Some information said 72 hours and some said 96 hours.  We got ours done at CVS on Wednesday before we left on Thursday and were very worried we wouldn’t get the results in time.  We did but were disappointed when we were never asked for them!  After all that angst!  The JW Marriott is a lovely hotel and breakfast was provided by Silversea.  We walked around a little and went to the Carolina Park nearby to get some fresh air.  Masks are required everywhere in Ecuador – both inside and outside.  I was the only one who had trouble with the altitude in our little group of four, but other people I chatted with did have some trouble with it too.  I had a headache and some nausea and dizziness.  I took Tylenol and it helped some.  We did the Quito by night tour and as the weather was good, it was mostly a walking tour.  As the hotel is in the new part of Quito and the tour is in the old town it is worth doing.  Be sure to check with the tour guide what you can and cannot buy along the way as the Galapagos has strict rules about when can be brought in.  Example – there was a street vendor selling cute paintings but they were done on sheep skin so that was a no no.  Same for colored pencils as they are deemed to be organice. The next morning we were taken to the airport to fly to the Galapagos.  There is a stop in Guayaquil en route and you stay on the plane.  On arrival in San Christobel we were met by the Silver Origin guides and taken directly to the pier where we boarded the zodiacs to get to the ship.  They take your suitcases directly to the ship and you take your hand luggage with you on the zodiac to the ship.  We went directly to lunch and then afterwards to our cabins.  We were in a Horizon Balcony superior cabin and our friends were in the Classic Verandah.  We loved the openness of the cabin and there is plenty of storage and hanging space. The crew all wore masks, and for the guests they were optional.  As there were only 58 of us on board, I think we all felt comfortable enough not wearing them having had vaccinations and covid tests. We did have to wear them if we went into a town where there were other locals.  The guests were almost all American.

There is a complimentary backpack and water bottle provided, along with ponchos (which we only discovered in the top of the closet on the second to last day!).  You will also be given the snorkel and mask you used all week as a gift.  They provide wet suits and flippers and a bag which is hung up on Deck 3 when you come back from snorkeling.  As I am not a great swimmer, they gave me a lovely little inflatable vest I could wear and I loved not being able to worry about staying afloat and trying to look at things!

First and foremost, this is an expedition not a cruise.  We have never done anything like this before and we embraced it fully.  We chose to have breakfast in our room almost every morning as the first expeditions usually left at 7.30.  I have every single daily chronicle and would be happy to scan them into my PC here and email them to you or post them in this thread.  If you are going on this trip, it will be challenging and exhausting but oh so worth it!  The naturalists are passionate and their knowledge extensive.  There are lectures during the day and before dinner and I encourage you to go to them.  They are only 30 minutes and well worth it.  We learned so much.  There is also a briefing on the next day’s activities with a slide show showing the terrain so you know exactly what to expect and what to wear.  It isn’t that the hikes and nature walks are long, but the terrain is sometimes very challenging.  They key is to look carefully where to plant your feet and take small steps.  The temperatures were lovely – warmer than we thought it was going to be.  Lower 70’s.  The water the first day for snorkeling was rough and a bit cold and then we moved closer to shore and it was better.  When I first jumped in it took my breath away but then we live in Florida and the water is very warm!  Having snorkeled in French Polynesia which is magical, this is a little different.  We did see lots of things though and I am glad I participated. 

The meals.  The cuisine is focused on Ecuadorian specialties.  We very much enjoyed all different options.  The portions for lunch and dinner are small but the upside to that is one can try several courses and not be stuffed to the gills by the end of the meal.  There is ceviche at lunch and dinner and I had it many times.  Always refreshing and delicious.  There are not a lot of meat options during the cruise like steak, roast beef etc.  Pork is plentiful, as is fish.  The chef is very creative and the waiters are eager to please and share their country’s special dishes.  You need to remember the crew is almost entirely from Ecuador.  They are not the seasoned waiters from around the world you may be used to on other Silversea cruises.  That being said they are gentle and kind and fun.  We did eat one night upstairs on the deck at the Hot Rocks.  It was fun and you can opt to cook a couple of main course items on the hot lava rocks.  We ate in the dining room the rest of the time.  We did go down for breakfast which opens at 6.30 a couple of times but with having to leave the boat so early, I preferred to eat in the room.  Sometimes things got mixed up on our orders but upon reflection, I realized that it must be hard to serve almost an entire ship room service breakfast!  The dress code is casual but no shorts or jeans in the evenings for dinner.  My hubby wore long pants and either golf shirts or dress shirts.  I wore slacks and blouses or maxi dresses. 

Clothing/things to pack.  I went on a website about what to take to the Galapagos and got some great hints.  I took two pairs of very light hiking pants. I also took some capris.  I had planned to wash them out as I thought there was a self service laundry.  If you look at the deck plans it shows a laundry but there is in fact not a self service one.  I don’t wear shorts but many did.  I took my Brooks running shoes as they afford good traction and support.  I did get some water shoes that have laces as my other ones I had had for a long time tended to slip off.  My friend wore her Tevas for all the wet landings.  The Galapagos is strict about sun tan lotions that are “reef friendly”.  I found some Coppertone that was but Silversea had a large tube of suntan lotion in the bathroom that was 50 so that is available.  The shampoos and soaps are all eco friendly too.  I took a small container of Off but we never seemed to need it.  Take a hat or baseball cap.  I took a panama hat I found on Amazon and a baseball cap.  Some people wore the floppy material hats.  I recommend a swimsuit that doesn’t have a skirt if you are going to snorkel.  I took two swimsuits – one with a skirt and one regular and I never wore the skirt one as it would have been too hard to put into a wet suit!

Disembarkation.  Be prepared – this is a long day!  We had to be out of our cabins by 7 and we disembarked at 7.45.  As almost all the flights from San Christobel are in the evening, we were taken on a morning tour of a tortoise conservation place, and were given a boxed lunch (ham and cheese sanwhich).  From there we went to the airport to fly back to Guayquil (and some went on the same plane to Quito to take their flights).  Ours was from Guayaqil at 1.35am today.  Silversea took us to a hotel and provided a day room and covid testing on arrival with a certificate that was ready in a couple of hours.  They also provided dinner.  It was nice to be able to shower and change clothes for the flight.  We were exhausted by the time we got on the plane and didn’t sleep so by the time we got home today at lunchtime, we were and still are dog tired. 

So all in all, this was a trip of a lifetime and we saw many wonderful birds and animals.  Silversea was five star all the way and we loved every single day.  Please feel free to contact me if I have left anything out.  I have probably forgotten a few things!  My email is amsilagy@gmail.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, AngieS said:

We arrived back today and I thought I would put something together as I know there are folks doing the Galapagos fairly soon.  I will put a formal review in on the Member Reviews section, but here is some useful information.

Arrival Quito:  We arrived late at night and there is a Silversea hospitality desk at the JW Marriott.  We were told to report the next morning between 8 and 10am for a covid test provided by Silversea in the business center at the hotel.  Let me just say that for the four of us travelling together and many other guests, the whole covid testing was the most stressful part of the trip.  Rules kept changing before we left and although Quito only required a vaccination certificate, we knew the Galapagos required a negative pcr test.  Some information said 72 hours and some said 96 hours.  We got ours done at CVS on Wednesday before we left on Thursday and were very worried we wouldn’t get the results in time.  We did but were disappointed when we were never asked for them!  After all that angst!  The JW Marriott is a lovely hotel and breakfast was provided by Silversea.  We walked around a little and went to the Carolina Park nearby to get some fresh air.  Masks are required everywhere in Ecuador – both inside and outside.  I was the only one who had trouble with the altitude in our little group of four, but other people I chatted with did have some trouble with it too.  I had a headache and some nausea and dizziness.  I took Tylenol and it helped some.  We did the Quito by night tour and as the weather was good, it was mostly a walking tour.  As the hotel is in the new part of Quito and the tour is in the old town it is worth doing.  Be sure to check with the tour guide what you can and cannot buy along the way as the Galapagos has strict rules about when can be brought in.  Example – there was a street vendor selling cute paintings but they were done on sheep skin so that was a no no.  Same for colored pencils as they are deemed to be organice. The next morning we were taken to the airport to fly to the Galapagos.  There is a stop in Guayaquil en route and you stay on the plane.  On arrival in San Christobel we were met by the Silver Origin guides and taken directly to the pier where we boarded the zodiacs to get to the ship.  They take your suitcases directly to the ship and you take your hand luggage with you on the zodiac to the ship.  We went directly to lunch and then afterwards to our cabins.  We were in a Horizon Balcony superior cabin and our friends were in the Classic Verandah.  We loved the openness of the cabin and there is plenty of storage and hanging space. The crew all wore masks, and for the guests they were optional.  As there were only 58 of us on board, I think we all felt comfortable enough not wearing them having had vaccinations and covid tests. We did have to wear them if we went into a town where there were other locals.  The guests were almost all American.

There is a complimentary backpack and water bottle provided, along with ponchos (which we only discovered in the top of the closet on the second to last day!).  You will also be given the snorkel and mask you used all week as a gift.  They provide wet suits and flippers and a bag which is hung up on Deck 3 when you come back from snorkeling.  As I am not a great swimmer, they gave me a lovely little inflatable vest I could wear and I loved not being able to worry about staying afloat and trying to look at things!

First and foremost, this is an expedition not a cruise.  We have never done anything like this before and we embraced it fully.  We chose to have breakfast in our room almost every morning as the first expeditions usually left at 7.30.  I have every single daily chronicle and would be happy to scan them into my PC here and email them to you or post them in this thread.  If you are going on this trip, it will be challenging and exhausting but oh so worth it!  The naturalists are passionate and their knowledge extensive.  There are lectures during the day and before dinner and I encourage you to go to them.  They are only 30 minutes and well worth it.  We learned so much.  There is also a briefing on the next day’s activities with a slide show showing the terrain so you know exactly what to expect and what to wear.  It isn’t that the hikes and nature walks are long, but the terrain is sometimes very challenging.  They key is to look carefully where to plant your feet and take small steps.  The temperatures were lovely – warmer than we thought it was going to be.  Lower 70’s.  The water the first day for snorkeling was rough and a bit cold and then we moved closer to shore and it was better.  When I first jumped in it took my breath away but then we live in Florida and the water is very warm!  Having snorkeled in French Polynesia which is magical, this is a little different.  We did see lots of things though and I am glad I participated. 

The meals.  The cuisine is focused on Ecuadorian specialties.  We very much enjoyed all different options.  The portions for lunch and dinner are small but the upside to that is one can try several courses and not be stuffed to the gills by the end of the meal.  There is ceviche at lunch and dinner and I had it many times.  Always refreshing and delicious.  There are not a lot of meat options during the cruise like steak, roast beef etc.  Pork is plentiful, as is fish.  The chef is very creative and the waiters are eager to please and share their country’s special dishes.  You need to remember the crew is almost entirely from Ecuador.  They are not the seasoned waiters from around the world you may be used to on other Silversea cruises.  That being said they are gentle and kind and fun.  We did eat one night upstairs on the deck at the Hot Rocks.  It was fun and you can opt to cook a couple of main course items on the hot lava rocks.  We ate in the dining room the rest of the time.  We did go down for breakfast which opens at 6.30 a couple of times but with having to leave the boat so early, I preferred to eat in the room.  Sometimes things got mixed up on our orders but upon reflection, I realized that it must be hard to serve almost an entire ship room service breakfast!  The dress code is casual but no shorts or jeans in the evenings for dinner.  My hubby wore long pants and either golf shirts or dress shirts.  I wore slacks and blouses or maxi dresses. 

Clothing/things to pack.  I went on a website about what to take to the Galapagos and got some great hints.  I took two pairs of very light hiking pants. I also took some capris.  I had planned to wash them out as I thought there was a self service laundry.  If you look at the deck plans it shows a laundry but there is in fact not a self service one.  I don’t wear shorts but many did.  I took my Brooks running shoes as they afford good traction and support.  I did get some water shoes that have laces as my other ones I had had for a long time tended to slip off.  My friend wore her Tevas for all the wet landings.  The Galapagos is strict about sun tan lotions that are “reef friendly”.  I found some Coppertone that was but Silversea had a large tube of suntan lotion in the bathroom that was 50 so that is available.  The shampoos and soaps are all eco friendly too.  I took a small container of Off but we never seemed to need it.  Take a hat or baseball cap.  I took a panama hat I found on Amazon and a baseball cap.  Some people wore the floppy material hats.  I recommend a swimsuit that doesn’t have a skirt if you are going to snorkel.  I took two swimsuits – one with a skirt and one regular and I never wore the skirt one as it would have been too hard to put into a wet suit!

Disembarkation.  Be prepared – this is a long day!  We had to be out of our cabins by 7 and we disembarked at 7.45.  As almost all the flights from San Christobel are in the evening, we were taken on a morning tour of a tortoise conservation place, and were given a boxed lunch (ham and cheese sanwhich).  From there we went to the airport to fly back to Guayquil (and some went on the same plane to Quito to take their flights).  Ours was from Guayaqil at 1.35am today.  Silversea took us to a hotel and provided a day room and covid testing on arrival with a certificate that was ready in a couple of hours.  They also provided dinner.  It was nice to be able to shower and change clothes for the flight.  We were exhausted by the time we got on the plane and didn’t sleep so by the time we got home today at lunchtime, we were and still are dog tired. 

So all in all, this was a trip of a lifetime and we saw many wonderful birds and animals.  Silversea was five star all the way and we loved every single day.  Please feel free to contact me if I have left anything out.  I have probably forgotten a few things!  My email is amsilagy@gmail.com

SUPER WOW!!!!  Times five, plus ten GOLD STARS!!  What a great summary, amazing details and excellent reporting by AngieS in Dallas.  Great!!  Very much appreciate ALL of these very good comments and the highly specific-follow-up.  

Have shared with my friends here in Central Ohio who depart early Thursday morning.  If any added questions, will follow-up in the next couple of days.  After they complete their "adventure", I will put together some notes and a summary from them.  

This will be very helpful for any others planning to be sailing on this new Silversea  ship.  Nice sharing!!

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 40,540 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

33 minutes ago, AngieS said:

In case you want the room service menu and the room service breakfast menu!

WONDERFUL!!!  Have just sent these menu pdf's to our friends who depart on Thursday for Ecuador, the Galapagos, etc.  

My friend noted after receiving that great batch of info: "so nice to have up to date info…..very helpful and much appreciated!!  I keep adding or taking away things in my suitcase based on new information.  And if my research is correct Ecuador uses American money and no need for electrical converters.  Also no need for malaria prevention.  These are all 'plusses'."

Is this correct about Ecuador accepting American dollars and no need for electrical converters?

Keep it coming!!  All very excellent for those preparing to do the Galapagos on the Silver Origin. 

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,724 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

18 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Is this correct about Ecuador accepting American dollars and no need for electrical converters?

Ecuador's currency is in fact the U.S. dollar. Very convenient.

25 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

WONDERFUL!!!  Have just sent these menu pdf's to our friends who depart on Thursday for Ecuador, the Galapagos, etc.  

My friend noted after receiving that great batch of info: "so nice to have up to date info…..very helpful and much appreciated!!  I keep adding or taking away things in my suitcase based on new information.  And if my research is correct Ecuador uses American money and no need for electrical converters.  Also no need for malaria prevention.  These are all 'plusses'."

Keep it coming!!  All very excellent for those preparing to do the Galapagos on the Silver Origin. 

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,724 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Yes you are correct.  Ecuador is only us dollars and us plugs/electric current no need for converters

1 hour ago, taxatty said:

Ecuador's currency is in fact the U.S. dollar. Very convenient.

Excellent "double-down" confirmations from both our friend in Miami, plus Angie in Dallas.  Very helpful.  Might have a couple more questions in the next couple of days.  

Thanks so much, Angie, for your comprehensive review.  We have been to the Galapagos twice before, and pretty much know what to expect.  But thanks for the info about the COVID test in Quito, as I had scheduled us on a day trip to the cloud forest, and they are supposed to pick us up at 8.  Do you think if I backed that up to 8:15, would that be enough time?

Interesting that they are providing dinner in Guayaquil at the hotel.  They did not do that previously.  We are doing our own flights, so I am getting ready to book the transfer from the Quito airport to the hotel, but transfers in Guayaquil are still included.

Hi Rachel.  We only found out when we arrived on Thursday night about the testing from 8-10am the next morning.  I hope it will be the same for you.  I might back it up to 8.30 if you can although it was very quick and only took a few minutes.  The business center is right there in the main lobby of the JW Marriott.  We were a little frustrated with the whole covid testing thing and it seems it did cause a fair amount of stress for most passengers.  We had all done covid testing on Wednesday afternoon in the US and got the results by email on Thursday from CVS.  However, no one even asked for them!  We were asked for our vaccination certificates at Quito airport upon arrival and before we went through immigration.  As we did our own flights, we booked our own transfer from Quito to the JW Marriott.  We used Aero Car and they were terrific - $35.  They met us outside after we had collected our bags in Quito.  Remember it is about a 45 minute drive so be sure to use the restrooms at the airport if need be!  All other transfers were provided by Silversea.  

1 hour ago, AngieS said:

We used Aero Car and they were terrific - $35.  They met us outside after we had collected our bags in Quito.  Remember it is about a 45 minute drive so be sure to use the restrooms at the airport if need be!  All other transfers were provided by Silversea.  

Super appreciate these wonderful comments, details and follow-ups from Angie and others.  Very, very helpful and interesting.  

Have followed-up with Angie and ask these added questions where she and/or any others might have added info related to this new Silversea ship.   

1. Was there any music and/or entertainment offered in the evenings?  What type and where on the ship?

2. Was there a quiet, "hide-a-way” place on the ship that you discovered and really liked for chilling and relaxing?

3. Any ship staff members that you especially loved and found super helpful and interesting to talk with?  Always enjoy interacting with certain Silversea staff "STARS".  

What else would be of interest to know, share?  Biggest ship surprises and/or secrets?

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Super appreciate these wonderful comments, details and follow-ups from Angie and others.  Very, very helpful and interesting.  

Have followed-up with Angie and ask these added questions where she and/or any others might have added info related to this new Silversea ship.   

1. Was there any music and/or entertainment offered in the evenings?  What type and where on the ship?

2. Was there a quiet, "hide-a-way” place on the ship that you discovered and really liked for chilling and relaxing?

3. Any ship staff members that you especially loved and found super helpful and interesting to talk with?  Always enjoy interacting with certain Silversea staff "STARS".  

What else would be of interest to know, share?  Biggest ship surprises and/or secrets?

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

1. There is a pianist who plays at the cocktail hour in the Expedition lounge and also at 9.30pm after dinner.  He also plays up on deck at lunchtime.  That is it.  We went to bed straight after dinner as we were exhausted from the expeditions!.  

2. There is a lovely small star gazing deck on deck 8 forward.  All the lounge chairs on deck4 and 5 are very comfortable and it is never crowded.  

3.  Israel is in charge of the expeditions and naturalists and is very helpful.  The naturalists speak English very well and they are so knowledgeable.  I encourage you to attend all the lectures (usually 30 mins long) and briefings for the expeditions for the next day (15 mins).  

My final take away and surprise perhaps for this cruise is it is not a cruise.  It is an expedition.  If you are planning a relaxing cruise with fabulous cuisine morning noon and night and shopping, this is not the cruise for you!  There will always be people who will complain and frankly they will probably get to Heaven and say the clouds are too fluffy and the angels are singing out of tune 🙂 I have learned that there is no such thing as perfect.  I am not perfect, do not cook perfect meals, and do not live a perfect life and therefore I do not expect it in things like cruises and vacations.  Go and enjoy being out in nature and all the wonders it can show you and you won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Was there a quiet, "hide-a-way” place on the ship that you discovered and really liked for chilling and relaxing?

With fewer than 100 passengers on the cruise, and most of them off on excursions once or twice a day, I can't imagine it would be hard to find a quiet place to chill out if you're not off exploring! 😉

Keep in mind that Origin is a small ship, where you can walk fore to aft, top to bottom in just a couple minutes! It's got only 6 decks, of which the lowest is just for going to/from zodiac excursions, and the top one just has a small forward deck with outdoor seats for observation. That leaves four decks, two of which are for passenger suites (just 25 per deck). That leaves two decks for common spaces: one for the restaurant and lounge (indoors and outdoors), and one for the small small observation lounge, grille, and outdoor lounge. It won't take your friends long to explore every area of the ship!

On 7/30/2021 at 3:47 PM, AngieS said:

Angie--did you do the route that starts in Baltra or San Cristobal??

msm