New Origin/Galapagos: June/July Reports/Details??

TLCOhio

We just booked this expedition this afternoon for next week!  I had just called my travel agent to rebook a cruise that cancelled yesterday.  We were going to rebook a Greek Isle cruise for November.  He opened the conversation with, "Have you ever considered a Galapagos Island cruise?"  I said No.... then within an hour had this one booked for Oct.21!   

You all are amazing!  I have gleaned so much information from this thread.  Special thanks to TLC Ohio for starting the conversation!

You have answered most of my questions already.  I do have two.

1) Are the wet suits provided long sleeve, long pants?  I ask because a friend recently went on Celebrity Expedition and theirs were short sleeve.  she knew ahead of time and brought her own long one.

2) We are arranging our own transportation to/from Quito.  Will Silversea still provide us a day room before our 2:00am flight back to the States?

Thanks again, CC Friends!

Hi cc cruiser, you will so enjoy the Galapagos.

The answer to question 1 is shorty wet suits etc are provided. They did have a few long wet suits. I think sizes are small medium and large. If you have your own and can pack it I would bring it. We went in Sept 2019 pre covid and this is in cool dry season. Water is 68 degrees fahrenheit.

The new ship looks terrific.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gui218 said:

Hi cc cruiser, you will so enjoy the Galapagos.

The answer to question 1 is shorty wet suits etc are provided. They did have a few long wet suits. I think sizes are small medium and large. If you have your own and can pack it I would bring it. We went in Sept 2019 pre covid and this is in cool dry season. Water is 68 degrees fahrenheit.

The new ship looks terrific.

Thanks so much!   My husband has a wet suit…. I think I will try to find a long one for myself.  68 sounds pretty chilly!  😊

Hi Again,

I have a few more questions, maybe someone who has already traveled can answer.

1) We know a night tour is included in Quito.  Can you tell me more about the tour? What did you see? We don't want to duplicate attractions in our afternoon wanderings.  (Any suggestions for wandering???)

2) What meals were provided in Quito? Did find any great restaurants?

3) We are providing our own transportation to & from the States and Quito.  For those of you who also made your own travel arrangements, did Silversea perform Covid tests at the end of the trip that were acceptable for travel back to the States?   If not, where did you get your covid test?

4) When I spoke to a Silversea representative today, she mentioned we would receive a complimentary "Parka."  I can't imagine needing a "parka!"  Is this a jacket that would suffice on the Zodiacs and in case of rain?  I'd love to have one less thing to pack!

Thank you so much!  We leave Thursday, so I won't be bothering you much longer! 

12 hours ago, cc cruiser said:

Hi Again,

I have a few more questions, maybe someone who has already traveled can answer.

1) We know a night tour is included in Quito.  Can you tell me more about the tour? What did you see? We don't want to duplicate attractions in our afternoon wanderings.  (Any suggestions for wandering???)

2) What meals were provided in Quito? Did find any great restaurants?

3) We are providing our own transportation to & from the States and Quito.  For those of you who also made your own travel arrangements, did Silversea perform Covid tests at the end of the trip that were acceptable for travel back to the States?   If not, where did you get your covid test?

4) When I spoke to a Silversea representative today, she mentioned we would receive a complimentary "Parka."  I can't imagine needing a "parka!"  Is this a jacket that would suffice on the Zodiacs and in case of rain?  I'd love to have one less thing to pack!

Thank you so much!  We leave Thursday, so I won't be bothering you much longer! 

1.  We didn't do the night tour so can't comment.  We had been to Quito twice before.

2. Breakfast is provided and is very good.  Other meals are on your own.  We ate at the hotel this time.  It was ok but not great.  Previously we had eaten at Zazu which is very nice.  In Guayaquil, dinner is provided for those with day rooms. 

3. We did our own flights.  Covid testing is done by Silversea at the hotel in Guayaquil with results in an hour.  Also, even though you are doing your own flight, they will transport to/from the hotels in Quito and Guayaquil

4.  No parkas.  No jacket either.  But they do provide rain ponchos.  

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently read that Galapagos has recently changed its covid entry policy. As of October 23, 2021 they no longer require both a vaccination card AND a negative PCR test, but just one or the other. This new information is also listed on the US Embassy website:

• SPECIAL, ADDITIONAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE GALAPAGOS ISLANDS:
    Beginning October 23, 2021, any international traveler wishing to transit Quito or Guayaquil International Airport en route to the Galapagos Islands should first arrive in country with proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken in the last three days or a COVID-19 vaccination card showing the traveler received a complete series of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before entering Ecuador (as per instructions above).  To enter the Galapagos Islands, the traveler must present:

• All travelers age 2 and older must present a complete vaccination card, with at least 14 days of validity or a negative RT-PCR test taken a maximum of 72 hours prior to boarding the aircraft to the Galapagos, counting from the time the sample was taken; and
    • All travelers to the Galapagos Islands also need a “transit control card” issued by the Government of Galapagos.  Contact your tour operator for more information on this requirement.

Can anyone update me on whether SS is still conducting and requiring a PCR test in the hotel the morning of the schedule flight from Quito to the islands? It appears its not required.

thanks,

MVA

• Like 1