New Origin/Galapagos: June/July Reports/Details??

TLCOhio

2 hours ago, pugetmandm said:

Angie--did you do the route that starts in Baltra or San Cristobal??

msm

I think it was originally supposed to leave out of Baltra but they seem to be all leaving from San Cristobal.  We left out of San Christobal.  It is only 10 mins from the airport to the port.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:27 PM, cruiseej said:

Keep in mind that Origin is a small ship, where you can walk fore to aft, top to bottom in just a couple minutes! It's got only 6 decks, of which the lowest is just for going to/from zodiac excursions, and the top one just has a small forward deck with outdoor seats for observation. That leaves four decks, two of which are for passenger suites (just 25 per deck).

More great information and background from our Philadelphia-area friend and Angie in Dallas.  Much appreciated and very helpful comments and follow-ups.  

Just talked with our friends who depart early tomorrow morning for their flights to Houston and Quito.   They are not quite ready, nor fully packed.  Both are attorneys and he has had crazy recent days with many various mini-crises, twists and turns, travel to do depositions, etc.

They will be taking lots of pictures, making many notes, sharing info with me, etc.  I hope to share much back from them here on this CC Board.  Let me know any special questions, requests and needs for posting and sharing.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,718 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

19 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

They are not quite ready, nor fully packed

Never have been; probably will never be. 😉  I marvel at those who write that they are basically packed (laid out on a spare bed) days in advance; despite our best thoughts and plans, it always comes down to the last minute for us.

For your friends, this is an expedition cruise in a warm climate, so it's a lot easier to pack than a cruise in cold or varied climates and requiring dressier clothing. 

On 8/5/2021 at 12:58 PM, cruiseej said:

For your friends, this is an expedition cruise in a warm climate, so it's a lot easier to pack than a cruise in cold or varied climates and requiring dressier clothing. 

Our central Ohio friends arrived early, early yesterday morning in Quito.  They spent most of Thursday doing the "AIRPORT THING".  Here is the message that she sent: 

"Lots of taxis right outside baggage claim…..$25 to JW Mariott.  Very easy even if it was 1:30 AM.   Today we took a taxi to the Bascilca de Voto Nacional ….lots of stairs to climb …beautiful view….clear day.  Beautiful church.   Nap time….Susan" 

Yes, they really needed to rest up as their first flight was a 6 am Thursday flight from Columbus to Chicago, before going on to Houston and then down to Quito.  They had made their reservations late and used miles, not getting the best flight connection times.  But, GOOD NEWS, their flights actually happened.  Clearly now with Spirit and many other airlines, there have been many scrubbed flights and delayed times, etc.  Will share more after I hear from Susan and David as they arrive in the Galapagos today and get on the Silver Origin.  

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 91,294 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2021 at 4:26 PM, Mikepop said:

Thank you for all the information. We are booked for May 2022 with our friends. Looking forward to it!

Just received late this morning a text message with pictures from our Central Ohio friends' "adventure" in the Galapagos Islands on the the shiny new Silver Origin.  

Among her comments were:  "Terry. We are having a great time.  The food is excellent. The ship is fantastic.  Going snorkeling in 45 minutes.  Hopefully we’ll see some sea turtles.  Thanks for all your advice on the cruise."

Their glowing smiles in the pictures below summarize well and prove that ALL is great and wonderful.  More later.

Any key questions that I need to ask of them now?

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,738 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

How does a typical Silver Origin balcony room appear?  Here is a view from our friend's sailing this week down in the Galapagos.  Like?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

IMG_5216.thumb.jpeg.e8187be53bbbe4357146199bc19301f9.jpeg

Ae they enjoying?  Are happy smiles an indicator?  See below, including of them at one of the key landmarks in the Galapagos.  Sorry, with the masks, it is hand to recognize the helpful Silversea staff.:

IMG_5327.thumb.jpeg.2fa524637d80acafa84034a9b6bd3474.jpeg

IMG_5353.thumb.jpeg.f22c9c4072b7faede87079bef0a971e8.jpeg

IMG_5357.thumb.jpeg.b46661837ba83229e9432e9d22fb961c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I like it better than the suite that had the balcony on the inside.

Just received more visuals from the Silver Origin and details from our Central Ohio friends now sailing on this new Silversea ship.  Here was their latest update:

"Rooms are great, it’s a very modern ship. Just a few steps to any place on the ship. I keep asking: ‘Where is everyone?’  Feels like our own personal yacht!!  About 60 guests.  Three expeditions per day, so far.   Numerous naturalists on board with interesting talks and guided tours.  The food is very good with tremendous service.   We have snorkeled three times everyday. They include wet suits, fins snd flippers/masks.  Snorkle guide takes us out in zodiac so groups are small.  Land walking tours are fairly easy. Have seen lots of birds and sea lions. My wife saw a turtle while snorkeling.  Sea lions will swim up to you. Have seen red footed boobies, blue footed boobies, shark on snorkeling trip, iguanas, Darwin finches, mockingbirds, etc.    Plus, several lava fields."

More to follow.  Questions needing to be answered while my friends are sailing on this ship?

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,630 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Here is another view of the main room in their suite.  Notice the mirrored window that provides a view out from inside the bathroom?:

IMG_5218.thumb.jpeg.907b149808a213fc0ff8550606f94fd2.jpeg

Here are three bathroom views.  Not sure how well this type of double-sink set-up works in real life.  Notice the view from the bathroom out to the main suite area, plus providing an outside/balcony perspective?:

IMG_5220.thumb.jpeg.5992e9137b97cad0a5d35aacae848ebb.jpeg

IMG_5221.thumb.jpeg.baa3cdab702be4404e19523f0aab1f9c.jpeg

IMG_5222.thumb.jpeg.01a1950387c75d3db8badd4d7fbf24ba.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are folks this week being fed on the Silver Origin while it sails in and around the Galapagos Islands?  See the proof/evidence below!!  Have my Central Ohio friends been excellent with their sharing and details?  Need more?

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 48,481 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Here are a couple of the dishes served during dinner on the Silver Origin.  Look good, interesting and tasty?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

IMG_5356.thumb.jpeg.daa495c241887c6168ffea35b839a2e3.jpeg

IMG_5227.thumb.jpeg.f0152464c72679244c84a4ceb64a486f.jpeg

Here are a couple of menu examples from this week on board the Silver Origin.  It's not big, wide variety, but for a week on this ship, we could manage to survive.  Right?  Especially, when others need to do the work in preparing dinner, cleaning up, etc.:

IMG_5214.thumb.jpeg.b6dcc24d45dbf388d8fd765aea0815c9.jpeg

IMG_5355.thumb.jpeg.ba314b28909dbd1f2a379dfed66feb85.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2021 at 2:24 PM, AngieS said:

So all in all, this was a trip of a lifetime and we saw many wonderful birds and animals.  Silversea was five star all the way and we loved every single day. 

Superb info. Thanks.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, cruiseej said:

Never have been; probably will never be. 😉  I marvel at those who write that they are basically packed (laid out on a spare bed) days in advance; despite our best thoughts and plans, it always comes down to the last minute for us.

A few days ahead we cover our dining table and call it our "staging" and we bring the "travel box" out of the basement.

Our Central Ohio friends, David and Susan, were due to depart the Silver Origin on Saturday morning.  Have not heard from them in a couple of days.  Have some additional visuals that he had sent from earlier in the week.  Like?

Any specific questions to be asking of them? What do "Inquiring minds" need to know?

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 48,102 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Here are a couple of views from the lower, back ship area where you board the zodiacs to go ashore.:

IMG_5535.thumb.jpeg.2dede26fc98f53a21c1f7ef95447400b.jpeg

IMG_5534.thumb.jpeg.ed22534f0c09fa4aa3e92688009efa31.jpeg

Here are a couple of interior views, including of the large video screen in the briefing area.:

IMG_5537.thumb.jpeg.742d8eab4cf3967f51298d0b300dc2da.jpeg

IMG_5536.thumb.jpeg.ff604dd7c8c7dfb7c93f5497cc9ae079.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Here are more visual samples sent by David from their week on the Silver Origin. More to come!!

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 40,701 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Here are three samples of the interior, public areas, including the open back desk, a bar area, etc.:

IMG_5533.thumb.jpeg.f9bf2bc1115a284fe04c4ee2252ce618.jpeg

IMG_5532.thumb.jpeg.1916da1482145383e0a7a175d3f16c81.jpeg

IMG_5531.thumb.jpeg.ccd26ad9b92f75b2bdb8874338273c06.jpeg

Here was an aded tasty treat offered during this saailg.  Look good?.:

IMG_5521.thumb.jpeg.29c2cfff12294129893fa0a72128f93c.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Below are more visuals from the Galapagos,  Look interesting??

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 31,896 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Below is a view of the Silver Origin as seen from a scenic shore location.  Second is one example of the many crusty creatures there..:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)IMG_5509.thumb.jpeg.f87727f2ef672e6bcf124006f6e9332b.jpeg

IMG_5517.thumb.jpeg.b764fcfcc1b7f535489a455580925e65.jpeg

Here are two views of the full-time residents in the Galapagos.  Cute?.:

IMG_5488.thumb.jpeg.21b83e1845a8ec8ebee915d0723881c2.jpeg

IMG_5499.thumb.jpeg.b5756fce7a1fd463e49cb731fb8d346e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Carol From California said:

Thanks for sharing all these photos! We go in 4 months! 

Great to know that these various visuals have been helpful and interesting for Carol in California.  Hopefully, others have enjoyed these "fresh" experiences from in the Galapagos and on the Silver Origin.

Earlier this morning, I received this message from David at O'Hare Airport in Chicago: "Just landed in Chicago.  Plan to sleep til noon. I’ll touch base later.  Good to hear you are doing well."

This message points out that the air connections going south to Ecuador are not always perfect and ideal in timing.  Once both Susan and David get back to Columbus, are rested and re-focused, I will be able to "DE-BRIEF" them more fully and share added insights, etc.  plus, more pictures, etc., etc.  

With Carol and others having their cruises upcoming, this is a perfect opportunity to get all of your questions answered.  Both David and Susan are very experienced and savvy world travelers.  This is their first cruise with Silversea and on a smaller, "more personal".type of sailing experience.   

I am looking forward to learning more from them as we hope to do the Galapagos Islands in the next year or so.  David's reference that I am "doing well" relates to the fact that last Thursday morning, I had hip replacement surgery.  Came home from the hospital late that afternoon.  Having had knee replacement surgery three years ago, I know that these "procedures" take time and patience with the recovery, PT, etc.  Am progressing well and clearly the current cruise ship plans for returning back to "normal" continue to have many serious questions and challenges world-wide.  

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,738 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• Like 1

Get well soon, Terry!

flight connections coming home from Guayaquil are terrible.  We have to fly out at 1:50 am, getting us home at 1:30 pm if all goes well.  Would much prefer a daytime flight but it is what it is.

42 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Get well soon, Terry!

flight connections coming home from Guayaquil are terrible.  We have to fly out at 1:50 am, getting us home at 1:30 pm if all goes well.  Would much prefer a daytime flight but it is what it is.

At least you have a hotel room to use, right?

12 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Great to know that these various visuals have been helpful and interesting for Carol in California.  Hopefully, others have enjoyed these "fresh" experiences from in the Galapagos and on the Silver Origin.

Earlier this morning, I received this message from David at O'Hare Airport in Chicago: "Just landed in Chicago.  Plan to sleep til noon. I’ll touch base later.  Good to hear you are doing well."

This message points out that the air connections going south to Ecuador are not always perfect and ideal in timing.  Once both Susan and David get back to Columbus, are rested and re-focused, I will be able to "DE-BRIEF" them more fully and share added insights, etc.  plus, more pictures, etc., etc.  

With Carol and others having their cruises upcoming, this is a perfect opportunity to get all of your questions answered.  Both David and Susan are very experienced and savvy world travelers.  This is their first cruise with Silversea and on a smaller, "more personal".type of sailing experience.   

I am looking forward to learning more from them as we hope to do the Galapagos Islands in the next year or so.  David's reference that I am "doing well" relates to the fact that last Thursday morning, I had hip replacement surgery.  Came home from the hospital late that afternoon.  Having had knee replacement surgery three years ago, I know that these "procedures" take time and patience with the recovery, PT, etc.  Am progressing well and clearly the current cruise ship plans for returning back to "normal" continue to have many serious questions and challenges world-wide.  

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,738 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Get well soon Terry! I am so glad your friends had a wonderful time in the Galapagos. 

On 8/16/2021 at 7:50 PM, clo said:

At least you have a hotel room to use, right?

We do, but I still don’t like flying out in the middle of the night.  No sleep prior as we will have to get to the airport 2 hours prior.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:40 PM, taxatty said:

Get well Terry! I've never met anyone who regretted having that surgery--many wished that they'd had it sooner.

Appreciate these very kind comments and follow-ups regarding my hip replacement.  It's been just nine days since that surgery.  Things continue to progress well.  It's take time and patience, but I can see clear progress each day.  All good signs!!  Want to get back to traveling, sailing on the big seas, etc.  BUT, with the Delta variant and rising infections world-wide, it looks as if that recovery also continues to requires that same "time and patience"!!  Right?

From our Central Ohio friends returning from the Galapagos, they are back and have been able to send many more details and specifics.  

From Susan: "Silversea was wonderful …. they thought of everything ….. COVID test before getting on ship in addition to everyone being fully vaccinated.  COVID test at hotel after the cruise so we could get back into the US. We were at the JW Marriott hotel in Quito at the beginning of trip Thursday and Friday nights.  Beautiful hotel with great breakfasts and a night tour of Quito.   On Saturday, they put us on our flight to San Cristobal.  We were met at the airport and taken to the ship."  

"The ship is beautiful.  We were on just the 8th voyage for this new Silver Origin.  All rooms have balconies.  We chose a regular balcony, which we loved.  Some rooms had the balcony enclosed with a large half window across the back which opened.  It made the room larger and most of those people just kept their windows open, but we preferred the open balcony.   The ship has lots of open space …very comfortable.  They provide sunscreen, shampoo, conditioner and lotion in large tubes…..would be nice to know when packing at home.  We loved the size of the room and the very nice bathrooms with the large sink with a faucet at each end.  I can’t say enough about the staff on board. The guides were always with us when off the ship in small groups …. knowledgeable …. whether hiking, kayaking or snorkeling. They also knew most of our names.  The rest of the staff were so very accommodating …. we got to know the dining staff quite well….so friendly.  We were just so happy and relaxed on this ship.  They provided wet suits, fins, mask and snorkel.  They also gave us a backpack and water bottle."

"Everyday there were many activities…hiking, snorkeling or kayaking and you could choose what you wanted to do. We tried to do everything we could because that is why we were there which meant we were pretty busy.  Lectures at night and discussions of what we would be doing the next day.  All of this before dinner.  The food was fantastic for us since we love fish.  There were other options, too.  On such a small ship we made lots of friends and by the end we had our lunch group and a different group for dinner.  You can eat upstairs which is a glassed in area but partially open or in the main dining room."

More to come later. What questions do you want me to ask of either Susan or David?

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 19,971 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Thanks 1

Here is more from the summary that Susan sent me from their lovely one, Aug. 7-14, 2021, sailing on the Silver Origin.   Susan's added points/details:

"We saw the blue footed boobies and the red footed boobies.  Giant tortoises, albatross, so many iguanas on one island that we had to step over them.  We had to walk around sea lions … they were always around.  When we were snorkeling a sea lion got a little feisty and clamped down on Dave’s arm.  I think he was playing … Dave had long sleeves under his wet suit which kept the teeth from coming in contact with the skin.  I think he was a rogue sea lion … the rest of them just swam around you and looked you in the eye.  A huge sea turtle came up for air right beside me….he was so colorful in the sun." 

"We didn’t have much sun which actually made it nice because no one got sunburned.  We still wore sunscreen.  The temps were in the 60s and 70s … pretty perfect.  The zodiacs were great … there were always guides there to help everyone on and off.  Very efficient way to get everyone where they are going.  The ship being smaller was able to pack up and move so some days we had activities in the morning on one island and different island in afternoon.  We absolutely loved this ship and the way in which they took care of everyone.  I really can’t think of one negative comment."

Is that a great, detailed summary by Susan???  As I mentioned earlier, although they had not sailed with Silversea or one of the other smaller luxury lines previously, they are both hyper-experienced, world-wide travelers.  In fact, Susan was an international stewardess with TWA way back before coming back to Ohio, completing law school, etc.  

More to come, including about their challenged return back home.  

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Thanks 1

Here is more about their "saga" in returning home from the Galapagos Islands and Ecuador:  

"Everything was perfect except for the flight home.  First, Copa Airlines out of Guayaquil said our tickets through United were not ticketed correctly and we missed the flight we were to take at 3:30 AM so we had to sort it out and finally got out at 3:00 PM to Panama City.  Then, leaving Panama at midnight, 30 minutes into the flight we turned around and went back to Panama City.  Mechanical failure……everyone was so quiet during that 30 minutes…..scary.  But they put us all on a new plane right away and off we went.  So because of the new flight arrangements back in Guayaquil we got to  Chicago at 2:45 AM and decided to get a hotel until next flight at 2:30 PM.  Got home last night a day late and exhausted.  I hated to end our perfect trip that way."

I will probe more as to that airline ticketing challenge.  Based on what Susan told me earlier, they made their own air arrangements (not through Silversea).  But that air was arranged late and involving frequent flyer mile, etc.  Will probe deeper to see what "lessons learned" might be worth sharing.  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 253,717 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Like 1