New Origin/Galapagos: June/July Reports/Details??

TLCOhio

Great to know sunscreen is provided as that means I won’t pack any.  It was not on our previous silversea Galapagos trip.

just heard from a friend onboard now.  As of yesterday, they are requiring everyone to wear masks in all public areas unless eating or drinking, and requiring them to be worn on the zodiacs.  This is due to the delta variant.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Ugh… outside on a zodiac?  That stinks big time, especially on a vaccinated ship.

Agree about the Zodiac comment, I suspect the mask requirement comes from the Ecuadorian Government, who will quite rightly be concerned about importing Delta from the US.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RachelG said:

just heard from a friend onboard now.  As of yesterday, they are requiring everyone to wear masks in all public areas unless eating or drinking, and requiring them to be worn on the zodiacs.  This is due to the delta variant.

Agree about the mask requirement and specifically since we have not gotten notification from SilverSea regarding this (however to be honest we have not been very impressed communication from them - ie. we have had very little).

Outdoors, on a zodiac is not my ideal of a good time - so are we to assume that they will make us wear them on the hikes etc? Definitely not my ideal of a dream trip to Galapagos - may consider rescheduling it if that is the case (we are on the Sept 23rd sailing - which has had it's own unique share of challenges/changes)

RachelG have you heard anything further from your friends or can you get an update? Thanks in advance if you can find something out and let us know.

We just got back!  Amazing ship, crew, food, destination.   They had just changed the mask requirement, we wore them on the ship when not eating/drinking, we took them off for the zodiac trips, hikes.  You come back from a hike, two cold ice teas, come back from a snorkel, two hot drinks, warms towels and robes!  They took such great care of us from start to finish!  I was hoping for caviar one day, but survived with a different fresh ceviche each day!  We put this in our top two trips we have ever taken!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/25/2021 at 9:08 PM, madrick said:

We just got back!  Amazing ship, crew, food, destination.   They had just changed the mask requirement, we wore them on the ship when not eating/drinking, we took them off for the zodiac trips, hikes.  You come back from a hike, two cold ice teas, come back from a snorkel, two hot drinks, warms towels and robes!  They took such great care of us from start to finish!  I was hoping for caviar one day, but survived with a different fresh ceviche each day!  We put this in our top two trips we have ever taken!

Appreciate these great, above details, comments and follow-up regarding your recent Silver Origin experiences.  Glad to hear that your cruise experience was so wonderful.  Keep it coming with this excellent sharing!!  PLUS, more good questions, etc.

From talking at length Friday afternoon with Susan, I had a chance to to gain many more details from their sailing earlier this month.  As summarized, they were highly-impressed from this first sailing with Silversea and in this scenic and unique location.  

As added background from this sailing by my two Central Ohio friends, Susan super loved the mixing with the fellow passengers on this cruise.  That added to the overall "experience"!!  Of unique interest is that in two of the highest-cost suites were a Russian Oligarchs couple and their family.  They pretty much stayed to themselves, but it added to the "buzz" during this one-week sailing.

In each room's bath, there is a special water feed/faucet to fill their container to take with them when going ashore.  The goal is to lessen the plastic bottles used to hold water when on hikes and excursions.  

Susan mentioned that they loved the many different types of ceviche offered during this sailing.  Great tastes and variety!!!  Susan gave many added details as to how accommodating was the staff's way in doing anything and everything to go above and beyond to perform at the highest level of service.  

Susan and David are still working on their pictures and I will share more later.  Let me know any questions, info needs, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,521 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi Terry. Thanks for passing this information along. Can you ask your friends what the general attire was in the dining room at dinner? I was reading a thread about the Celebrity Flora and some of those folks basically ended up wearing whatever they were wearing all day to dinner—shorts and jeans. Seems a bit odd to me but I don’t want to pack fancy duds if I don’t have to.

8 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

Hi Terry. Thanks for passing this information along. Can you ask your friends what the general attire was in the dining room at dinner? I was reading a thread about the Celebrity Flora and some of those folks basically ended up wearing whatever they were wearing all day to dinner—shorts and jeans. Seems a bit odd to me but I don’t want to pack fancy duds if I don’t have to.

I am onboard now.  Attire is very casual.  I make my husband wear nice slacks to dinner, as the chronicles specifically says no jeans or shorts at dinner, but I have seen lots of jeans at dinner.  I like wearing dresses, and have been wearing a casual sundress to dinner.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 10:40 AM, Love4tahoe said:

Would love some insights into which of the two itineraries to choose. Also, is Machu Picchu an option yet for a pre- or post-cruise excursion? Thanks in advance!

If you look carefully at the itinerary details for each of the two possibilities, it's clear which is for those who are more active vs those who tend to be more couch potatoey.  We actually switched trips after reviewing the details, especially the recommended fitness levels.  

Thanks, guys. That is great to know as we would prefer the more active itinerary. I will take a look at the details but just to make sure - would that be the one that goes up to Genovesa and down to Espanola, or the one that goes to Floreana? Many thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for all the info on this amazing ship and trip. My TA just got back from this and raved about the ship and service. Seems some of the early issues I've seen in reviews have been improved substantially. Staff sounds great. I'm so glad we waited for Origin as had considered doing the Silver Galapagos before. We are booking for June next year. Few questions I didn't see discussed (although may have missed)

-anyone do the pre/post Machu Picchu and thoughts on how it went? did you use the cruise line's or independent?

-any scuba dives? I see snorkeling which is ok but were there any options not published to scuba while on board?

Kent & Jeffrey

Edited by Shipless in Seattle

On 8/30/2021 at 9:13 AM, RachelG said:

I am onboard now.  Attire is very casual.  I make my husband wear nice slacks to dinner, as the chronicles specifically says no jeans or shorts at dinner, but I have seen lots of jeans at dinner.  I like wearing dresses, and have been wearing a casual sundress to dinner.

Appreciate all of  these great comments and follow-ups, especially from Rachel.

I did check with Susan who was on the Silver Origin in early August.  She confirmed the "casual" summary.  In the main dining room for evenings with men, it was mostly golf shirts and khaki pants.  No shorts, of course.  

Hope to get to get together soon in person with Susan and David to de-brief them more, see additional of their pictures, etc.  Am happy to ask them any added, follow-up questions.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,920 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

On 9/1/2021 at 10:58 AM, Love4tahoe said:

Thanks, guys. That is great to know as we would prefer the more active itinerary. I will take a look at the details but just to make sure - would that be the one that goes up to Genovesa and down to Espanola, or the one that goes to Floreana? Many thanks.

The more strenuous itinerary starts in Baltra and ends in San Christobal which I think is the first one you mentioned—“the one that goes up to Genovesa and down to Espanola“ —but please double check to be sure. 

45 minutes ago, pugetmandm said:

The more strenuous itinerary starts in Baltra and ends in San Christobal which I think is the first one you mentioned—“the one that goes up to Genovesa and down to Espanola“ —but please double check to be sure. 

I’m confused. The itineraries for the rest of this year have been adjusted to sail from San Cristobal to San Cristobal based on Galapagos entry requirements. My SS agent says that the new itinerary combines some of both of the previous itineraries. Is this not the experience of those who have sailed this year?

On 9/14/2021 at 6:17 PM, pugetmandm said:

Thanks so much, very helpful! I will double check to make sure.

On 9/14/2021 at 7:06 PM, TakingFlight said:

I’m confused. The itineraries for the rest of this year have been adjusted to sail from San Cristobal to San Cristobal based on Galapagos entry requirements. My SS agent says that the new itinerary combines some of both of the previous itineraries. Is this not the experience of those who have sailed this year?

From what I can tell, the 2021 cruises start and end in San Cristobal but alternate itineraries each week. Beginning in 2022, they return to the Baltra - San Cristobal, San Cristobal - Baltra schedule. I could have it wrong but that's what it looks like on the website.

Wow! Such great information here - thank you all so much.  

I am currently researching which line we should use for Galapagos - SS or Lindblad.  Beyond the level of comfort/service the expedition offerings seem fairly similar, although Lindblad has dedicated photography assistance on board. Does SS have that at all, or just naturalists?  I also know Lindblad provides a small brochure to help identify the various creatures you encounter.  Not sure if that is useful or not as I assume you are always with a guide.  Anyone have experience with Lindblad and can give advice?  Also, I know Galapagos is a year round destination; but if you could pick when to go, when is best and why?  

Thank you! 

• 3 weeks later...

This question is for anyone who has been on this cruise this year. We are scheduled to go in December. I know that Silversea includes a Night Tour in Quito pre-cruise. What time does this tour start? I am trying to plan two days of sightseeing with a private guide (we are flying in one day early) and want to be sure we get back to the hotel in time to meet up with the group for the Night Tour. Thanks!

On 9/24/2021 at 11:48 AM, wowgirl/itguy said:

Wow! Such great information here - thank you all so much.  

I am currently researching which line we should use for Galapagos - SS or Lindblad.  Beyond the level of comfort/service the expedition offerings seem fairly similar, although Lindblad has dedicated photography assistance on board. Does SS have that at all, or just naturalists?  I also know Lindblad provides a small brochure to help identify the various creatures you encounter.  Not sure if that is useful or not as I assume you are always with a guide.  Anyone have experience with Lindblad and can give advice?  Also, I know Galapagos is a year round destination; but if you could pick when to go, when is best and why?  

Thank you! 

There is a photographer onboard.  He did a couple of lectures which were really good (and I am not a person who usually attends those) and was very approachable and helpful.  

You are pretty much always with the guide when on land.  Not sure a brochure would be helpful.

As far as time of year, we have been there in June, end of August and November.  We were able to see flamingos in November--they were not there in August as it was too dry.  We saw lots of baby seals in June and August, not as many in November. But any time of year is good.  I thought it was much cooler in August than June or November. 

On 10/11/2021 at 7:19 PM, Carol From California said:

This question is for anyone who has been on this cruise this year. We are scheduled to go in December. I know that Silversea includes a Night Tour in Quito pre-cruise. What time does this tour start? I am trying to plan two days of sightseeing with a private guide (we are flying in one day early) and want to be sure we get back to the hotel in time to meet up with the group for the Night Tour. Thanks!

The night tour wasn't really at night.  I think it was at 5 pm, so I would call it an early evening tour.  We did not do it as we had been to quito twice before and had hired a private guide to take us to Mindo for the day.