Hand carrying luggage on embarkation day?

Laszlo

My wife and I always hand carry our carry on's and usually a small back pack whether we are cruising or flying. We usually board NCL as soon as we can, sometimes it's 11am, sometimes noon. Cabins are not typically ready until 1pm. Is their and area on the Riviera we can leave our carry on's

3 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

My wife and I always hand carry our carry on's and usually a small back pack whether we are cruising or flying. We usually board NCL as soon as we can, sometimes it's 11am, sometimes noon. Cabins are not typically ready until 1pm. Is their and area on the Riviera we can leave our carry on's

If you are in a top suite I believe they are ready before Noon

other cabins  you just need to carry it around  so we usually go later 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you are in a top suite I believe they are ready before Noon

other cabins  you just need to carry it around  so we usually go later 

Thanks, we are in a Concierge level cabin. I see we get early embarkation...Noon. I didn't know if our cabins would be ready by then. We don't mind finding someplace to have lunch and taking them with us

Edited time....

Edited by Laszlo

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Thanks, we are in a Concierge level cabin. I see we get early embarkation...11am? I didn't know if our cabins would be ready by then. We don't mind finding someplace to have lunch and taking them with us

well pre covid  embarkation  for A cabins  I believe was noon & cabins  ready about 1:30 pm

but  now  we have no idea 

• Like 2

Laszlo,

Not sure when you are sailing but LHT is right on.. Pre-Covid you could be on for an early lunch but definitely not into your stateroom before 1:30-2:00. Post-.Ovid we have no idea what the embarkation protocols and roll out will be like.  You should have no problem having a nice lunch in the Terrace Cafe and finding a place to lounge, be it by the pool, Horizon’s, Library or elsewhere. Being on early helps with restaurant bookings. Since you are in Concierge level, you have access to the Spa cabanas and booking Spa services appointments.
Enjoy Oceania but we will all have to cut the ship staff some slack because everything we will encounter aboard, Post -Covid will be new to the staff as well as guests.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Laszlo,

Not sure when you are sailing but LHT is right on.. Pre-Covid you could be on for an early lunch but definitely not into your stateroom before 1:30-2:00. Post-.Ovid we have no idea what the embarkation protocols and roll out will be like.  You should have no problem having a nice lunch in the Terrace Cafe and finding a place to lounge, be it by the pool, Horizon’s, Library or elsewhere. Being on early helps with restaurant bookings. Since you are in Concierge level, you have access to the Spa cabanas and booking Spa services appointments.
Enjoy Oceania but we will all have to cut the ship staff some slack because everything we will encounter aboard, Post -Covid will be new to the staff as well as guests.   

Thanks, you're right.... it's all a guessing game now. The staff on the cruises we have been on are probably the most hard working people I've seen. 

Has anyone on the early Marina cruises heard what embarkation will be like? I know, at one point, there was talk of staggered, "assigned" times to board in order to control the crowds... 

27 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Thanks, we are in a Concierge level cabin. I see we get early embarkation...11am? I didn't know if our cabins would be ready by then. We don't mind finding someplace to have lunch and taking them with us

You may not mind but others will if you’re stuff is obtrusive. These are relatively small ships.

That said, you were a bit unclear about how much luggage you have. 
Do you also have larger suit cases you’ll leave with the porters or are the carry-ons your only baggage?

IMO, the only things you should keep with you are docs, meds, valuables.....

As to the boarding time, it may depend on the embarkation facility. A few locations control entry into the building by boarding times. Others have a large space with marked rows and a staff member who announces when your cabin type row is ready. 
O is usually well organized enough that you will be in line and checked in before your assigned time.

Once onboard, most folks wait for their cabin level availability to be announced by either relaxing wherever or they head to the Terrace Café for lunch (where dragging carry-ons can be a real PITA - for everyone).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Laszlo,

Any cabin level can immediately book Aquamar spa appointments once onboard. On R ships, there’s even a spa booking table across from guest services on embarkation day. 

On our cruise on Marina, we boarded at around noon (concierge level) but it was about 2pm when an annoucement was made that cabins were ready. We'd had lunch and sat chilling out, so  that was all fine. We had a single carry-on with the "can't afford to lose" stuff. And, yes, we were contributing to the congestion in the Terrace Cafe along with everyone else who had carry-ons (which, unsurprisingly, was most folk).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You may not mind but others will if you’re stuff is obtrusive. These are relatively small ships.

That said, you were a bit unclear about how much luggage you have. 
Do you also have larger suit cases you’ll leave with the porters or are the carry-ons your only baggage?

IMO, the only things you should keep with you are docs, meds, valuables.....

As to the boarding time, it may depend on the embarkation facility. A few locations control entry into the building by boarding times. Others have a large space with marked rows and a staff member who announces when your cabin type row is ready. 
O is usually well organized enough that you will be in line and checked in before your assigned time.

Once onboard, most folks wait for their cabin level availability bro be announced by either relaxing wherever or they head to the Terrace Café for lunch (where dragging carry-ons can be a real PITA (for everyone).

Never had a problem with our stuff being obtrusive with anyone on 10 NCL sailings. We find someplace to eat for lunch, usually get table by a wall and put our stuff under the table.

We each use a small rolling carry on and check one large suitcase. I guess it sounds strange to some people to actually carry your carry on around with you. However once you have a carry on lost or stolen with all of your important stuff in it you will think differently. 

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Any cabin level can immediately book Aquamar spa appointments once onboard. On R ships, there’s even a spa booking table across from guest services on embarkation day. 

When I was looking at the spa part of the website the other day I was under the impression we could book ahead two months or so. I even marked it on my calendar to try at that time.  Must all hair appointments etc be booked onboard? 

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

Never had a problem with our stuff being obtrusive with anyone on 10 NCL sailings. We find someplace to eat for lunch, usually get table by a wall and put our stuff under the table.

We each use a small rolling carry on and check one large suitcase. I guess it sounds strange to some people to actually carry your carry on around with you. However once you have a carry on lost or stolen with all of your important stuff in it you will think differently. 

There are “carry-ons” and then there are “carry-ons” (the kind that would never fit easily in an airline’s sizing box at the gate). IMO, no one needs a full sized 20” carry-on (let alone one per person) for the “important” stuff. 

But, of course, folks will do what they will do.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jeno said:

When I was looking at the spa part of the website the other day I was under the impression we could book ahead two months or so. I even marked it on my calendar to try at that time.  Must all hair appointments etc be booked onboard? 

We were on Nautica’s last cruise in February 2020 and you could book pre-Cruise by contacting the Aquamar directly. However, at that time, the menu was incomplete since they had only recently restarted operations after switching from Canyon Ranch.

• Thanks 1

I am sure lost or stolen bags would cause us all much consternation and impact our future luggage planning. Honestly, in our many Oceania cruises, we have had no problem turning over our large and small carryon rolling bags to the porters or putting them on the carts ourselves. Sometimes they may arrive at our rooms at different times but they are always there, sometimes before we are. I never give up my backpack nor CPAP because my travel meds are carried in that bag. 
Embarkation day can be a bit of a hassle and we will see what it is like soon as soon as we are able to sail. Definitely looking forward to October 18.👍✈️ 🤪🚢🥂🍷🙏

Gerry

42 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There are “carry-ons” and then there are “carry-ons” (the kind that would never fit easily in an airline’s sizing box at the gate). IMO, no one needs a full sized 20” carry-on (let alone one per person) for the “important” stuff. 

But, of course, folks will do what they will do.

You are pretty quick to judge other people aren't you?

You have no idea what some people might bring or need while traveling

Different people travel with different amounts of stuff / gear. I've see a couples with two large check in bags and two large carry on's with going on a 7 day cruise. At the same time I saw a couple who only had back packs. I carry two laptops, one for work and one for personal use. I also carry a bunch of camera gear, the space adds up.

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 7

Ignore what some people say..  Your carry-on is welcome.  We have our camera equipment (bodies and lenses) and lug our 20-inch oversized airline approved carry-on throughout the ship including the Terrace,

Post COVID who know what the rules will be.  We are doing one on Saturday on Crystal boarding times are pre assigned and persons will not embark before their times.   They are staggered in a way that cabins are ready first,  Starting with suites at 1pm, verandas at 3pm and ocean views at 5pm. Testing and initial health check in 2 hours prior...

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Ignore what some people say..  Your carry-on is welcome.  We have our camera equipment (bodies and lenses) and lug our 20-inch oversized airline approved carry-on throughout the ship including the Terrace,

Post COVID who know what the rules will be.  We are doing one on Saturday on Crystal boarding times are pre assigned and persons will not embark before their times.   They are staggered in a way that cabins are ready first,  Starting with suites at 1pm, verandas at 3pm and ocean views at 5pm. Testing and initial health check in 2 hours prior...

👍😊

• Like 1

After we check in our larger bag we take a small carry-on ( a size that fits under airline seats) on embarkation day and keep it with us.  Cruise documents, passports, prescription drugs, jewelry and electronics - anything you just can’t lose without ruining your trip.  If you board early enough to score a nice table at the Terrace that’s a great place to be.  If not head to Waves which is usually less crowded and has the best surf and turf sandwiches.  Everyone is toting around some sort of bag, so just relax, have an adult beverage and enjoy.  Once we’re on board we can finally really relax.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Roccaforte said:

After we check in our larger bag we take a small carry-on ( a size that fits under airline seats) on embarkation day and keep it with us.  Cruise documents, passports, prescription drugs, jewelry and electronics - anything you just can’t lose without ruining your trip.  If you board early enough to score a nice table at the Terrace that’s a great place to be.  If not head to Waves which is usually less crowded and has the best surf and turf sandwiches.  Everyone is toting around some sort of bag, so just relax, have an adult beverage and enjoy.  Once we’re on board we can finally really relax.

Thanks for the info

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Different people travel with different amounts of stuff / gear. I've see a couples with two large check in bags and two large carry on's with going on a 7 day cruise. At the same time I saw a couple who only had back packs. I carry two laptops, one for work and one for personal use. I also carry a bunch of camera gear, the space adds up.

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Not judging anyone. As I said “folks will do what they will do.” And we all have opinions (which also are not judgements) about what’s reasonable for essentials.

FWIW: Again, these are small ships.

One O cruise I had a carry on that was basically a personal item but nothing critical in it. The luggage drop guys told me to keep it with me. I asked on our deck and was given the ok to drop it outside my room. Ymmv and I completely understand having a few bags you wish to keep with you 🙂

• Like 1

Traveling light is highly overrated.

Under normal circumstances, we each travel with a very large suitcase and share a medium-size, 24" suitcase.  Each of us also brings a backpack and a laptop.  We leave the 2 large cases to be delivered, the medium case may/may not come with us, and the remaining items definitely stay in our possession.  Most times, we drop everything in the suite and head off for a bite to eat but, one time, our suite wasn't quite ready.  We stopped by anyway, said "Hello" to the cleaning crew, dumped everything in the closet (with their okay), and took off to Terrace.  On one or two occasions, we just brought everything to Terrace and kept it tucked toward the wall.

Just do whatever works best for you.  Nearly everyone is in a good mood and is willing to accommodate on the first day.

• Like 2