21 hours ago, molly361 said:

Still debating between Alliantz and GeoBlue annual

Hi molly361,

I stopped doing business with Allianz's predecessor Access America (Allianz bought them in 2012) in 2003, so I can't tell you any details about their plan.

Get the Geo Blue Trekker (https://tripinsurancestore.com/geo-blue-trekker-travel-medical-plans/) if you mainly want medical and evacuation coverage.

And, I have found the RoamRight Multi-Trip Cancellation Insurance plan (https://tripinsurancestore.com/annual-trip-cancellation/) to be the best annual trip cancellation plan. Their customer service and claims are easy for us to work with.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 2

I have used Geo Blue in the past and was going to purchase another annual policy when we start cruising again in November. However, Geo Blue evacuation coverage excludes Covid. That is a concern to me. Any suggestions on other products which would provide a similar type of annual policy to Geo Blue but would cover evacuation in the case of  covid ?  

11 hours ago, erber said:

I have used Geo Blue in the past and was going to purchase another annual policy when we start cruising again in November. However, Geo Blue evacuation coverage excludes Covid. That is a concern to me. Any suggestions on other products which would provide a similar type of annual policy to Geo Blue but would cover evacuation in the case of  covid ?  

Hi erber,

> Geo Blue evacuation coverage excludes Covid

This is not correct for the GeoBlue Trekker plan (https://tripinsurancestore.com/geo-blue-trekker-travel-medical-plans/).

Specifically, for existing and/or prospective members, injuries and Illnesses resulting from Terrorism and pandemics are covered as any other Injury or Illness provided all of the following conditions are met:

1. The Covered Person had no direct or indirect involvement in the Terrorist Activity;
  2. The Covered Person has not unreasonably failed or refused to depart a country or location or is traveling to a country or location following the date a warning to leave or avoid travel to that country or location is issued by the United States government.

*Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) are not subject to the above exception and are covered as any other Injury or Illness. Medical Expenses associated with asymptomatic testing or expenses for quarantining (confinement outside of a hospital setting) are not covered under this Plan.

Steve Dasseos

https://about.geo-blue.com/crisisalert/covid19-members

I apologize for not being specific enough. My concern is medical evscuation. So, it is the statement in the section on the link above that has me confused about medical evacuation coverage. It seems that in this specific question section addressing medical evacuations it is  stated that in the Voyager and Trekker plans, medical evacuation for covid is not covered. 

This is what has me hesitating in pourchasing the Geo Blue annual trekker plan. Everything else about the plan seems perfect for our needs. 

Perhaps I am not interpreting this correctly? 

Edited by erber
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 6:06 AM, erber said:

I apologize for not being specific enough. My concern is medical evscuation. So, it is the statement in the section on the link above that has me confused about medical evacuation coverage. It seems that in this specific question section addressing medical evacuations it is  stated that in the Voyager and Trekker plans, medical evacuation for covid is not covered. 

This is what has me hesitating in pourchasing the Geo Blue annual trekker plan. Everything else about the plan seems perfect for our needs. 

Hey @iamtrustworthy. Any new information on this question?  Looking to purchase another Trekker policy prior to our scheduled November cruise. Will GeoBlue cover evacuations due to COVID-19?  If not, is there another good annual alternative for medical and evac.? I assume a single trip comprehensive plan with a trip cost of $499 would work for now.

Here is the wording from the link posted above:

Medical evacuations due to COVID-19 are currently not covered under Voyager and Trekker plans.

On 8/21/2021 at 1:34 PM, Laurab23 said:

Why is Geo Blue Trekker and RoamRight not available in NY?

Hi Laurab23,

Sorry about the delay answering you. I missed your question.

The State of New York's insurance department hasn't approved them for sale to NY residents.

Steve Dasseos

On 8/23/2021 at 5:06 AM, erber said:

I apologize for not being specific enough. My concern is medical evacuation. So, it is the statement in the section on the link above that has me confused about medical evacuation coverage. It seems that in this specific question section addressing medical evacuations it is  stated that in the Voyager and Trekker plans, medical evacuation for covid is not covered. 

This is what has me hesitating in purchasing the Geo Blue annual trekker plan. Everything else about the plan seems perfect for our needs. 

Hi Erber,

You are correct. The Geo Blue plans do not cover medical evacuation for Covid. On the other hand, none of my Trip cancellation plans exclude Covid from their evacuation coverage.

Steve Dasseos

On 8/25/2021 at 7:44 AM, Jersey42 said:

Hey @iamtrustworthy. Any new information on this question?  Looking to purchase another Trekker policy prior to our scheduled November cruise. Will GeoBlue cover evacuations due to COVID-19?  If not, is there another good annual alternative for medical and evac.? I assume a single trip comprehensive plan with a trip cost of $499 would work for now.

Here is the wording from the link posted above:

Medical evacuations due to COVID-19 are currently not covered under Voyager and Trekker plans.

Hi jersey42,

The Geo Blue plans do not cover medical evacuation for Covid. As I told Erber "On the other hand, none of my Trip cancellation plans exclude Covid from their evacuation coverage".

And, you don't have to use $499 as the trip cost. $500 is the same price.

Steve Dasseos

11 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Erber,

You are correct. The Geo Blue plans do not cover medical evacuation for Covid. On the other hand, none of my Trip cancellation plans exclude Covid from their evacuation coverage.

Steve Dasseos

Thank you, Steve. Much appreciated for the confirmation. 

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at travel insurance, have always done it on a per trip basis and used Travel Insured which has always served us well - only needed to use it 1 time 10 years ago.  But - all the different insurance providers cover many different things at different amounts, etc.  My husband is 69 and generally in good medical health - however, something recent has come up.  I always bought travel insurance, right after we booked the cruise or after final payment but now I see anything pre-existing is not covered unless you purchased it soon after the made the initial payment.  I was looking at GeoBlue, Travel Insured, and Roamright - but I'll be honest, haven't heard much about Roamright.  Does anyone have any advice?  I am totally confused.

51 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

I've been looking at travel insurance, have always done it on a per trip basis and used Travel Insured which has always served us well - only needed to use it 1 time 10 years ago.  But - all the different insurance providers cover many different things at different amounts, etc.  My husband is 69 and generally in good medical health - however, something recent has come up.  I always bought travel insurance, right after we booked the cruise or after final payment but now I see anything pre-existing is not covered unless you purchased it soon after the made the initial payment.  I was looking at GeoBlue, Travel Insured, and Roamright - but I'll be honest, haven't heard much about Roamright.  Does anyone have any advice?  I am totally confused.

Hi Vermonter16,

I sent you an email.

Steve Dasseos

I’ve read multiple posts about travel insurance on the forums. In the past we have just gotten trip insurance for each individual cruise.  Now with Covid and having so many cruises pushed off we are looking at 5 trips in the next 12 months. I’m looking for a more cost effective way of buying insurance. We are 61 and 64 and in fairly good health. Just maintenance drugs for ongoing conditions, but no major medical issues so not too worried about pre existing. We have an HMO which I don’t think will cover anything out of the country.  I was thinking of just medical, but most of the trips are pricy so I think cancellation would be needed just in case.  Am I correct in assuming that RoamRight multi trip insurance would work well for our situation?  And do you think the medical limits are good enough on their policy?  

7 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

I’ve read multiple posts about travel insurance on the forums. In the past we have just gotten trip insurance for each individual cruise.  Now with Covid and having so many cruises pushed off we are looking at 5 trips in the next 12 months. I’m looking for a more cost effective way of buying insurance. We are 61 and 64 and in fairly good health. Just maintenance drugs for ongoing conditions, but no major medical issues so not too worried about pre existing. We have an HMO which I don’t think will cover anything out of the country.  I was thinking of just medical, but most of the trips are pricy so I think cancellation would be needed just in case.  Am I correct in assuming that RoamRight multi trip insurance would work well for our situation?  And do you think the medical limits are good enough on their policy?  

Hi RosieRoo,

> do you think the medical limits are good enough on their policy?

It depends on your outside of network coverage. Ask your company this: "If I get hit by a cement truck outside of my network, what's the most I'll have to pay out of pocket?

Steve Dasseos